Pit bull Attack

Pit bull Attack

This is a discussion on Pit bull Attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Caution long story: About a month ago my daughter received call while at work that a dog a red pit bull was attacking her goats. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit bull Attack

Pit bull Attack

Caution long story:
    About a month ago my daughter received call while at work that a dog a red pit bull was attacking her goats. By the time she got home it was too late, her 4 H prize winning Toggenburg female and one sheep was dead. Fortunately a neighbor has witnessed the act police were called charges filed, county was suppose to pick up the animal for destruction.

Fast forward 30 days later, and after multiple calls to animal control no one had picked up the dog, and my daughter receives another call, the dog is back and attacking. By the time she made it home the dog had already killed her two Toggenburg females that were pregnant; the dog was in the process of attacking her llamas. Her response was she shouted get away from my animals, her second was BANG, she has her CCW and carries an S&W 649 .357 now she is out several thousand dollars of pedigreed animals that she uses to help supplement her meager income.

Rant: If the county had done their job, and they were called 3 times this would not have happened.
    Good thing: My little girl shot to wound to get the dog away from her llamas and it was a moving target, then she pursued it though the fields and as she was running she shot it two more times, and again a moving target. Result no more red pit bull, I am so proud of her for her actions.
    When she turned 21 someone asked me if I was going to go buy her a drink and I replied No Iím going to buy her something that might save her life someday, so I took her to the gun store and said pick out something and she chose the S&W, good choice.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    Most counties here have a law that specificaly states that one can shoot any animal that poses a threat to any livestock,fowl or pet...and they can do it without civil liability. One can also seek to recover costs from damage done.

It might be worth looking into. You need proof of damage such as pictures of carcasses,pedigrees or other stuff and having a witness definatly helps. You may already have a law like this or you may not,
    but it is something to think aobut. Who knows? You/she might actually be able to recoup the loss.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Good that your daughter is fine. Hopefully the rest of her animals now will be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You/she might actually be able to recoup the loss.
    Don't forget to include the cost of the ammo expended (hey, good self defense rounds are pricey).

Very unfortunate. Should be legal recourse of some fashion. In Colorado there's a saying along the lines of "Your dog WILL be shot if harrassing my livestock"........."This ain't the city, folks"

Law or no law, your daughter can sue the pant's off the dog's owner regardless and the city/county she is in for not doing a thing about the problem. You don't need a law to sue someone for damages! Bring her witness along with pictures, etc to court. Small claims will work as long as the damages are less than $5,000.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

++1 I agree with Ti Carry
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    Im glad she was able to defend her property ect.. and was willing to do so.?But I would like to point out that the type of folks that own a violent animal. And know it is willing and capable of killing for funn and keep it might not be the best sort of folks to begine with. she might want to be verry wary and keep her eyes open just in case they retaliate. i have nothing aginst pitbulls, think there a fine breed of dog when cared for and trained properly but this one sounds like it might have the kinda owners that this breed of dog most offten atracts druggys ect... so please tell her to be verry carefull

My heart is always warmed by the tale of a dead pit bull. The "Punish the deed, not the breed" crowd always talk about how wonderful these dogs are, but I never read a story about a pug attacking a sheep, or a springer spaniel mauling a kid. I watched a guy free handle a Cobra once, without getting bitten. But you know what, most Cobras, given enough time will bite you. Some breeds are a predictable problem on a timer.

Nice shooting, young lady. And I hope you get the statutory maximum award if/when you sue the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Law or no law, your daughter can sue the pant's off the dog's owner regardless and the city/county she is in for not doing a thing about the problem. You don't need a law to sue someone for damages! Bring her witness along with pictures, etc to court. Small claims will work as long as the damages are less than $5,000.

Ti.
    She might be able to sue the owner (if she could prove who owned the dog) but the likihood of collecting is near zero, even if she felt like pursuing a lien.

As for the city/county, no way she could successfully sue. If the courts have rules that the police have no duty to protet you, what makes you think that the dog catcher has a responsibility? She could complain and even run for office, but unfortunately, there ain't much else, which is all the more important that you protect what is yours because the government can't a won't.

Too bad about the livestock but heck of a good shot!

Last month, my 5 yr old daughter was attacked by a stray dog without provocation. (It appeared to be a pitbull/something mix). He bit her in the face, and tore out one of her teeth. He was dead within a minute of the incident. (Winchester RA9TA is GREAT stuff, BTW)
    The beautiful thing about living here in East Tennessee is that when I called the county health dept regarding a rabies test, I got someone with actual down to earth common sense. The guy asked me "you did shoot it, didn't you"? - "Good." - "You didn't shoot it in the head, did you"? - "You shot it in the chest ?- good, that won't affect the lab work. Chop off it's head, pack it in ice and bring it on down to the lab". The second day we got the results - it was negative, thank GOD.
    Much better than living in a city full of hysterical liberals... I LOVE this place!!!
    Last edited by Gary Brommeland; December 18th, 2006 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post

Ti.
    She took photos, as did the vet, and the police, dog was licensed, so it is very traceable. She is looking at her options now, in fact on another forum it was suggested that the county due to non action may be liable as well.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I hope you sue their pants off. I'm not against people owning any type of dog, but if you can't keep track of it, you dang sure better be responsible for its actions. Whenever I used to head into the woods, (especially in Northern Michigan where it seems that an abundance of dunderheads let their pets loose to "fend for themselves") if I saw a cat or dog wandering around with no collar, then it was lights out, no questions asked, no excuses accepted.

Senior Moderator
    county due to non action may be liable as well.
    seriously... I doubt that will happen.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm glad your daughter is OK. You are a wise parent that thought of her safety instead of her first drink. Wish we had more parents like you.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    My heart is always warmed by the tale of a dead pit bull. The "Punish the deed, not the breed" crowd always talk about how wonderful these dogs are, but I never read a story about a pug attacking a sheep, or a springer spaniel mauling a kid. I watched a guy free handle a Cobra once, without getting bitten. But you know what, most Cobras, given enough time will bite you. Some breeds are a predictable problem on a timer.

Nice shooting, young lady. And I hope you get the statutory maximum award if/when you sue the owner.
    All dogs have the propensity to bite or be aggressive. Pit Bulls are not the only breed that have been involved in fatal or mauling attacks. They are no more dangerous than any other breed when responsibly raised and socialized. Just happens that most of your lowlifes want the biggest baddest dog around and they think that that's the one. Quite similar to a scumbag wanting the biggest baddest gun on the shelf. The fact that you never read stories about other breeds is that they don't sell papers or affect ratings. It's the same reason that you very seldom read about good law abiding gun owners. Open your eyes and stop accepting everything you hear as fact. Isn't that the same thing we, as responsible gun owners, are trying to prevent? I think it's a little extreme to say that your "heart is warmed" by a dumb animal being gunned down. Don't get me wrong, I would have '86ed the dog too, regardless of breed, just wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as you would have I guess.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links