PA: Answer the door with a 357 in hand...Good Guy Wins

This is a discussion on PA: Answer the door with a 357 in hand...Good Guy Wins within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ... Still get assaulted, and beat, before you get a shot off... But, prevail in the end, hitting BG in the groin (ouch!). Perp's girlfriend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PA: Answer the door with a 357 in hand...Good Guy Wins

PA: Answer the door with a 357 in hand...Good Guy Wins

... Still get assaulted, and beat, before you get a shot off...

But, prevail in the end, hitting BG in the groin (ouch!).

Perp's girlfriend and getaway driver, lied about how her beau got shot... But they caught 'em all, anyway...

Story: Home invasion victim shoots suspect after assault | WBNG-TV: News, Sports and Weather Binghamton, New York | Local

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

2. Remove Ads

Dang media ... they reported the physical address of the victim's home and the name of the victim.

Kudos on the guy for surviving the situation.

Good reminder to each of us: know what's on the other side of the door before you go opening the door. Can be worth its weight in gold, that knowledge. These days, anything less can be deadly.

I love the double doors, with heavy-gauge steel framing, steel storm/security door with a steel "screened" outer door that can also remain locked when answering the knock via opening the inner door. Better still, when combined with a side-view area and/or camera system so one knows who's there prior to even getting to the door. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is why you have see though sercuirty door or a peephole or better yet a camera above the door .. You can see plain as day the dude is in a ski mask then call the cops and be ready to go.

All that said in some places it is noraml to be wearin a ski mask. When I was in the midwest I wore a ski mask all the time and sometimes forget to take it off.

But it tends to be good manners if you are knocking on a door (or going into a bank ) to take it off...)

Also as a side note I am amazed he is still alive a lot of things down that of the world you do not want perforated ( and I dont mean what you think) ..
    You do not want to get shoot int he the legs or arms amazing how many people think that will be a flesh wound . Ohh it can be but a little to left or right and you better hope there is a level 1 trauma center very very close
    ccw9mm and tdave like this.

For all you who don't carry with one in............"Ya Mean he Didn't Have Time To Rack The Slide".....revolver or not....why open the door to begin with especially with a guy wearin' a mask.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Hopefully with this shot placement he won't be making any little home invaders.
    airslot likes this.

My takeaway is a bit different than the above...

I'm really glad the homeowner prevailed in this encounter, but believe he was lucky he did.

Many here tend to believe a gun will solve everything, if put to use in close quarters combat. Especially when it's drawn, and at the ready.

Maybe.

The perp had a great deal of INTENT, and fortunately, not enough skill, to take the homeowner AND HIS GUN out of the equation.

Others have rightfully pointed out that a more proactive defense would have avoided the shooting entirely.

But, once in motion, the actions of the perp almost made the gun a moot point.

Turn the tables, if YOU are under attack by a gunman, and reacting; quick, decisive, physical action may make his gun the moot point.

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'm really glad the homeowner prevailed in this encounter, but believe he was lucky he did. Many here tend to believe a gun will solve everything, if put to use in close quarters combat. Especially when it's drawn, and at the ready.

Maybe.
    Yup. The lessons are simple: proximity can be a killer (best laid plans, and all); blindly opening a door can quash any advantage one might otherwise have had; and, being armed guarantees nothing.

He'd have really been up a creek had the assailant simply come armed with a Taser and zapped him. Would have gotten in, gotten the gun, and been able to clean out the home without muss or fuss.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree....some type of self-defense ability is necessary for everyone, IMO. But still, I don't open the door for anyone not expected, even if your Jesus, The Easter Bunny or Santa Claus your not commin' in.

Distinguished Member
    Always, always, identify the person at your door before opening! Especially after dark.
    If it sounds suspicious or unknown to you step back a few feet and have someone try to look out a window if possible.
    If that's not possible, keep them talking or banging while you dial. Either way, prepare for the worst. Should they bust through your door, at least you will be ready.
    WrongRecroom and ccw9mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    Always, always, identify the person at your door before opening! Especially after dark.
    If it sounds suspicious or unknown to you step back a few feet and have someone try to look out a window if possible.
    If that's not possible, keep them talking or banging while you dial. Either way, prepare for the worst. Should they bust through your door, at least you will be ready.
    Yep I can see anyone comeing to the front door if I dont know them I got a pistol in my pocket aimed and ready .. If they got a mask on then I got 20 rounds of 9mm a waiting for them to come in and say hello...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I agree....some type of self-defense ability is necessary for everyone, IMO. But still, I don't open the door for anyone not expected, even if your Jesus, The Easter Bunny or Santa Claus your not commin' in.

Not opening door for anyone I don't know...the Almighty is always welcome.....
    ccw9mm likes this.

BG has the advantage, he does, we react,,, if his action
    does not take us out, if I can not see who is at the door
    thru my peek, I would not open it period.
    ccw9mm likes this.

win for the good guys
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Thumbs up PA: OOPS Wrong house... Again... (good) Home Invasion Goes Bad for Crooks

From » Home invaders didn't expect to see a .357 pointed their way » Fresh Ink -- GOPUSA

Home invaders didn't expect to see a .357 pointed their way
    Robbery attempt of armed man fails. 3 suspects in custody, 1 at large.

Francis Muchanic, Erica Major, Dylan Brewer and Evan Hess thought they had the robbery planned.

They didn't anticipate the .357 Smith and Wesson revolver in their target's hands. The fallout from the unseen variable led to three of them falling into police custody while one remains at large.

State police at Gibson said Mr. Muchanic walked up to David Braman's Creek Road home in New Milford and began to open the door just before 8 p.m. Monday. Mr. Muchanic, 31, of Susquehanna, said he was having car trouble and was hoping Mr. Braman would let him use the phone.

The 69-year-old man, armed with a revolver, knew it was a lie when he saw the ski mask and handgun.

Mr. Muchanic burst through the door, Mr. Braman fell and a scuffle ensued, state police said.

Outside, Ms. Major, 30, of Susquehanna, waited for her boyfriend to finish the job. Mr. Brewer, 20, of New Milford, and Mr. Hess, 20, of Forest City, stood nearby. Three shots rang out from inside.

Mr. Muchanic stumbled out of the house with a bullet wound in his groin and fell. Mr. Brewer and Mr. Hess fled into the rural landscape. Ms. Major picked up her bleeding boyfriend and put him in his car. They took off and headed for the New York border.

Ms. Major placed a call on the road. A dispatcher about 20 miles away at the Susquehanna County Communications Center picked it up.
    click to delete
    Ms. Major explained to the 911 dispatcher she and her boyfriend were driving north on Interstate 81 and pulled over to help a fellow driver in Great Bend Twp. A problem occurred when Mr. Muchanic got out of the car the other driver pulled out a gun and shot him in the groin, she told the dispatcher, according to police.
    Ms. Major was arrested in Pennsylvania for criminal conspiracy to commit robbery, theft by unlawful taking, receiving stolen property and filing false reports. She was sent to Susquehanna County Prison on $100,000 bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Monday.

Mr. Brewer was apprehended in Pennsylvania and charged with attempted theft and criminal conspiracy to commit robbery. He was sent to Susquehanna County Prison on $50,000 bail. His preliminary hearing is also scheduled for Monday.

Mr. Hess was not apprehended and is sought on a warrant charging him with attempted theft and criminal conspiracy to commit robbery.
    click to delete
    Anyone with information should contact state police at Gibson at 570-465-3154.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Wow, now when will these thug learn if you come in somebody home you might get shot, it's a good thing that he call the police first. I guess that when in something like this to get on the phone and dial 911 first.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links