Newspaper wants to build C.C. database

This is a discussion on Newspaper wants to build C.C. database within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cevitas Media owns many newspapers and states it's goal is to build a database of all concealed carriers. Newspaper company building state-by-state gun owner databases ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Newspaper wants to build C.C. database

Cevitas Media owns many newspapers and states it's goal is to build a database of all concealed carriers.

Newspaper company building state-by-state gun owner databases | The Daily Caller

VIP Member
    Just what do they intend to accomplish with such an invasion of privacy??
    Aceoky likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Exactly. What is the end goal?

Several states have laws that will "end that plan" from the beginning (as it should be in all states)
    Ghost1958 and bigdogtx like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Well according to what I just read in the link that Lawless fellow is both a liar and a butt head.
    tdave, Lee 1973 and ugh762x39 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Our state just privatized this data because of WRAL doing just this.
    ugh762x39 likes this.

Ah, it sounds like they're accessing public records to build a report using aggregate numbers. Well, I like investigative reporting in general, and give it a lot of leeway, even if I don't care about any specific story.

The problem here is the actual existence of the 'public records', not that someone is trying to access the information.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

I like this plan from the "Comments" section:
    "We need to immediately determine who these people are, which papers they represent, then compile a complete list of each paper's employees including their names, addresses, phone #s, kids' names, the cars they drive, etc and have them ready to upload online. Then, if they make the slightest move to compile/publish lists, BOOM! - all their personal info goes live. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Better to be prepared and able to react quickly. And if these people complain about what we're doing, we can do what the feds do everyday - say, we are just compiling a list. We have no plans to do anything with it."

And if you read the Comments further down the page, it sounds like the people who've supported this comment have started doing that already...Nice!

Intention is for publication, of course ... and that while having zero to do with investigations regarding threats.

This is exactly why many states have disallowed the misuse of such records, given the high potential for publicly vilifying people without warrant, without judicial review and due process, without cause.
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

These people are confused. I'm searching to see if they have newspapers in Florida. Here's their website. Front page: "We are extraordinarily proud of our young company with its very old traditions." Are they confused?

Civitas Media

"Here's the states they have publications in: Centrally located in Davidson, North Carolina on the shores of Lake Norman, Civitas Media encompasses over 100 publications, many of which have served their communities for over a century. Civitas, Latin for “community” or citizen” is a union of four media entities formerly known as Heartland Publications, Freedom Central, Impressions Media and Ohio Community Media. Civitas, which employs over 1400 associates across 11 states including North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee, publishes 35 daily, 28 weekend editions and 63 weekly publications for a combined circulation of over 1.6 million."
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    "We need to immediately determine who these people are, which papers they represent, then compile a complete list of each paper's employees including their names, addresses, phone #s, kids' names, the cars they drive, etc and have them ready to upload online. Then, if they make the slightest move to compile/publish lists, BOOM! - all their personal info goes live. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Better to be prepared and able to react quickly. And if these people complain about what we're doing, we can do what the feds do everyday - say, we are just compiling a list. We have no plans to do anything with it."

And if you read the Comments further down the page, it sounds like the people who've supported this comment have started doing that already...Nice!
    Emotionally, I like this. But a better plan would be, if they are successful, to get the populace so ticked off that they demand the repeal of the CCW/CHL laws and a replacement with constitutional carry - concealed or open.
    Ghost1958 and Patti like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post

Publishing CCW-holders' names didn't work out so hot in downstate NY last year; the newspaper ended up hiring armed guards for their office as well as the editor or publisher's home.
    "Public domain" information is a two-way street.

Journal News Gun Map Backfire Continues With Anthrax Scare, Armed Guards
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Newspapers, who reads them, seems to me just away for them to get some PR.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Publishing CCW-holders' names didn't work out so hot in downstate NY last year; the newspaper ended up hiring armed guards for their office as well as the editor or publisher's home.
    "Public domain" information is a two-way street.

Journal News Gun Map Backfire Continues With Anthrax Scare, Armed Guards
    Nor did it work out so well for the Virginia news group, Roanoke Times, that tried the same crap following the VaTech murders back in 2007: CNN Coverage of Roanoke Times gun fiasco.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Ace you are correct, think that they are just trying to increase circulation but I doubt that will get any blood to there brain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links