If you give them what they want, they'll leave you alone...

This is a discussion on If you give them what they want, they'll leave you alone... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Or so folks say, like the cousin in the carjacking story in the earlier thread. This story proves that's just not true! http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2006612200410 Deputies seek ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you give them what they want, they'll leave you alone...

Or so folks say, like the cousin in the carjacking story in the earlier thread. This story proves that's just not true!

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2006612200410

Deputies seek 2 men who shot man, fled police

The Marion County Sheriff's Department is searching for two men who shot a 47-year-old man and led officers on a chase in a stolen pickup truck on the Far Southside shortly before noon Tuesday.

William D. Harris was in stable condition at Methodist Hospital, Capt. Phil Burton said.
    Harris apparently walked in as two masked men were burglarizing his home in the 2500 block of Siear Court, Burton said. The man ran, and the suspects chased and shot him, Burton said. The victim collapsed on a stairwell of a nearby home in the 2400 block of Mayhew Drive.
    Police later spotted the suspects driving a pickup truck that had been stolen Monday in a carjacking in Indianapolis, Burton said. Police chased them, but the suspects got away.
    Police recovered the pickup at Sherman Drive and Raymond Street, Burton said.

That didn't work for a clerk here in Phoenix either.

This week there was a robbery in a Phoenix store. The clerk gave him the money and then the robber proceeded to shoot him with a .45. Fortunately the clerk was in stable condition the last I heard.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

VIP Member
    We've always known the "give them what they want and they will go away" theory doesn't work. Sometimes, sure... but not often enough to bet *my* life on it. Let the anti's test it out on their attackers.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    I am all in favor of anti's following that (stupid) dictum. Meanwhile we, those with open eyes and a tad of logic, will remain aware that ''doing what the nice perp says'' is NOT a guarantee of any safety.

I wish those high up in LE particularly would stop bleeting that message - it does NOT always save folks - these days they can just as likely get shot. Odds? Maybe 50:50.

I don't gamble on odds like that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Take Action...

right from the 'get go'...no hesitation...no begging...no questions asked...
    My wife and I talk about this quite ofted...don't hesitate...ACT quickly...
    If in doubt...ACT! (in regards to a personal assault)...
    Home invasion...ACT even more quickly...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With all the gangs overrunning all neighborhoods it is stupid to believe that you won't be killed as well as robbed. Part of gang philosophy it to leave no witness behind.

Give'em what they want, they'll leave you alone ? I remember hearing that as a kid from other kids concerning certain childhood bullys. I just don't think so. Kick their arse....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Depends on your perspective: to the Judaeo-Christian, evil men are seeking death, so......

Ops that one got ahead of me. You read about too many people being shot to eliminate a witness. I would not hesitate to shoot first.If there to rob you they might as well be there to do you harm
    you.I see cases far to often where the police have some one cornered and while they are shouting at him to drop the gun,he shoots killing or wounding one or more officers .This happened not to long ago here. the score was one officer dead and another badley wounded and the BGg ot away but later caught.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Perhaps what they want (in addition to your stuff) is a battle scar. So, give them what they want - two in the chest, one in the head! The autopsy photos will make for good show 'n tell with all their friends!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Well maybe they will and maybe they won't.

But I'm not going to take that chance.

Never allow your life to depend on the whim of someone who has proven themselves to be moral bankrupt.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I'll give 'em what they want. How about a third of a box of 9mm ammo. I won't even charge them for it :)
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Give them what they DESERVE and they'll leave you alone!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Howdy!
    Many times a robbery victim will be murdered because of their credit cards. If a person is robbed (and survives), they'll usually call their bank at once and cancel the cards. However, if they are dead, there is a time lag in which their cards can be maxed out by the thief.
    Knowing this in advance might help folks make a more informed decision as to how to handle a robbery. Certainly, "giving them what they want" is not always a viable approach to survival.
    While I would not shoot someone over property (including money), a robbery in most instances involves either force or the threat of force. If said robber pulls a knife or gun on me, I am no longer worried about defending my property. I am now focused on defending my life, because I am being threatened with the use of deadly force - and certainly have absolutely no guarantee that the BG will not kill me anyway. So, if someone threatens me with a weapon, the very first opportunity will result in my taking action with every intention of using whatever amount of force is necessary to protect myself and loved ones from harm. If the BG dies as the result of pointing a gun at me, then he has merely succumbed to an occupational hazard of being a thug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links