Son Saves Dad's Life by Shooting Burglar

This is a discussion on Son Saves Dad's Life by Shooting Burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Son Saves Dad's Life By Shooting Burglar - The Last Resistance | The Last Resistance The homeowner woke up to see a man burglarizing his ...

Like Tree22Likes
  • 7 Post By Patti
  • 1 Post By Lee 1973
  • 3 Post By GoBigOrange
  • 4 Post By Gearhead
  • 1 Post By wester
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 3 Post By watershed
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: Son Saves Dad's Life by Shooting Burglar

VIP Member

Son Saves Dad's Life By Shooting Burglar - The Last Resistance | The Last Resistance

The homeowner woke up to see a man burglarizing his pickup truck that was parked in his front yard. He approached the man with a rifle, intending to hold him until law enforcement could arrive, but the man fled the scene, according to the Van Zandt County Sheriff’s Office.

The homeowner fired at the man and then noticed a truck parked in the dark near the roadway, which he believed belonged to the man so he got in the truck and took the keys out of the ignition to prevent him from leaving the scene. The man confronted the homeowner and disarmed him, assaulting him with the rifle, authorities said.

The homeowners son saw the man raising the rifle and, fearing the man was about to shoot his father, shot the suspect, killing him instantly.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Good thing the son was there. The dad probably made a very stupid move going after the perp but in the heat of the moment, I can understand him reacting that way.
    Sister likes this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Firing at a fleeing burglary suspect is not smart at all. Glad it worked out for him.
    StormRhydr, ccw9mm and molleur like this.

I saw this photo of the father and son in another article. As a general rule, it's a really bad idea to steal anything from folks who look like this. No offense to any DC members who actually look like this, of course.
    son saves father.jpg
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws, politicians and celebrities will have guns.

I'm starting to look like the older guy more and more.
    Sister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    The homeowner woke up to see a man burglarizing his pickup truck that was parked in his front yard. He approached the man with a rifle, intending to hold him until law enforcement could arrive ...

The man confronted the homeowner and disarmed him, assaulting him with the rifle, authorities said.
    Proximity's a booger, when you foul up that part. All too easy to get disarmed. Distance is your friend. Good lesson for everyone, right there.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I saw this photo of the father and son in another article. As a general rule, it's a really bad idea to steal anything from folks who look like this. No offense to any DC members who actually look like this, of course.
    son saves father.jpg
    Yes, they look like they mean it

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Firing at a fleeing burglary suspect is not smart at all. Glad it worked out for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    The homeowner woke up to see a man burglarizing his pickup truck ...
    Not smart, true.

But then, it's Texas. Am presuming "woke up" means it occurred at nighttime. And in Texas, there's the little statute regarding nighttime crime. Perhaps someone from Texas (who's knowledgeable about the requirements of this) can speak to the apparent validity of shooting at the fleeing burglar in this case.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    son saves father.jpg
    We all look like that around here
    Ghost1958, Aceoky and Poseidon like this.

Distinguished Member
    Members of the Duck Dynasty Clan perhaps?
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

It's legal at night to use deadly force to stop a perp from fleeing during a burglary if you have reasonable doubt your property will be recovered by police.
    We have different gifts, each according to the grace God has given to each of us.

Thats one less BG the state will have to support. And the local folks will have to worry about.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    I don't think I would have gone all the way to the suspects car and taken the keys and cause more trouble. A simple description of the vehicle and license plate would have been better from the safety of inside his house. Yes another BG down, but it didn't have to go that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by watershed View Post
    We all look like that around here
    Yep we all look alike. Darned hard to know who crashed a wedding or a party around some times because of that
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Not smart, true.

But then, it's Texas. Am presuming "woke up" means it occurred at nighttime. And in Texas, there's the little statute regarding nighttime crime. Perhaps someone from Texas (who's knowledgeable about the requirements of this) can speak to the apparent validity of shooting at the fleeing burglar in this case.
    ccw9mm it is defined as 30 min before sunrise and 30 min after sunset. Same a rule for dove hunting in Texas as far as the time rules.

Deadly Force to Protect Property
    "A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force
    is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or
    criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means."
    "A person is justified in using deadly force against another to prevent the other who is fleeing after committing burglary,
    robbery, or theft during the nighttime, from escaping with the property and he reasonable believes that the property cannot be
    recovered by any other means; or, the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the property would expose him
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links