Even with warning signs, the BG still broke in. - Page 2

Even with warning signs, the BG still broke in.

This is a discussion on Even with warning signs, the BG still broke in. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by my2cents Hope the BG doesn't sue! I'm sure someone would be willing to lawyer for him. Yeah let's wait and see how ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Even with warning signs, the BG still broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Hope the BG doesn't sue! I'm sure someone would be willing to lawyer for him.
    Yeah let's wait and see how this one turns out.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    "A poor unarmed man gunned down, merely because he couldn't read" .............sheesh............."He was only going to ask for directions, and a small well-deserved handout"..........."Our schools failed this poor man...........".........Excerpts from the Nancy Pelosi Guide to "Whine Like a Real Liberal".....

Should have been met with a 12GA!
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Why you stopped at two I'll never know. He could have been armed and after being hit could have waited until you were a target. LUCKY "BG"

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Evidently he needs more training.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

The sign of the front door says: “Warning. Nothing inside is worth risking your life for. Owners of this property are armed and highly skilled to protect life, liberty and property from criminal attacks.”

And consider the sign on the front window: “No trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.”

While signs didn't keep out this bad guy, no telling how many were disuaded by the signs. BGs known that not all are backed by people willing to work, just like not all alarm company signs are on structures that actually have alarms, but many are and they give pause to many folks before attempting crimes, not all, but many. Of course, there is no way to prove how effective the signage is given that it is tough to prove results with no data.

PapaScout said,

Highly trained? Two shots and only one hit - in the knee?
    First, the sign did not say the occupant was highly SKILLED (not trained) but did not specify in what area and the sign said the occupant was armed. It did not say the occupant was a highly trained 2nd floor night shooter.

Even so, 2 shots and 1 hit from the top of the stairs at night. What were the lighting conditions? How much of the bad guy was exposed when the shots were taken? Where was the home owner aiming? Was the bad guy in motion?

Let's see, a 50% hit rate for a non professional LEO type person ain't bad. In fact, it is about twice as good as the national police average that according to the FBI another other orgs is somewhere around 22-28% hit rates.

Let's see, the guy had a home intruder and was able to attain at total intrusion stop and cause a retreat with just 2 shots, yet without any additional harm to his home, belongings, or himself, and this is not something he does professionally or on a regular basis. In fact, he hasn't done anything like that at the residence in the last 6 years that he lived there. I would say that such a result is pretty outfrickingstanding.

On top of that, he isn't dealing with the emotional result of having killed somebody. He wasn't cursorily arrested, pending the outcome of the investigation of a homicide shooting. In fact, they returned his gun on scene, so he didn't even lose his gun but for a few minutes.

No, he may not be highly skilled, but he did better than the national police averages, wasn't arrested, didn't lose his gun, and yet successfully repelled a home intrusion with no harm to himself or additional loss of property. A highly skilled person should hope to do so good in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    Evidently he needs more training.
    {armchair quarterbacking}Yeah, should have consisted of firing until slide lock or the subject stops, whichever comes first. If still moving after slidelock, insert new magazine and repeat. Simple concept really.{/armchair quarterbacking}

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    well, you can't have a sign say "armed and marginally trained"
    LOL!

I was wondering about the wisdom of having those signs displayed at all.

First of all, they evidently did nothing to deter the break-in.

Second -- particularly because the shootee is still alive -- is there not a good possibility that a prosecutor will take those as "premeditation"? They as much as say, "I plan to shoot anyone who comes in here uninvited."

Now, we here all know that such signs are as much novelty/joke as anything else, "big talk" but really just intended to say, "Hey, man, don't mess with me because I will defend myself," but it would not surprise me if some anti-gun prosecutor brought charges because he didn't like the tenor set by those signs, and wanted to put a hurt on anyone with the audacity to not just cower and wait for protection to arrive in the form of uniformed police officers...

Anyone here have an opinion about the signs?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    LOL!

I was wondering about the wisdom of having those signs displayed at all.

First of all, they evidently did nothing to deter the break-in.

Second -- particularly because the shootee is still alive -- is there not a good possibility that a prosecutor will take those as "premeditation"? They as much as say, "I plan to shoot anyone who comes in here uninvited."

Now, we here all know that such signs are as much novelty/joke as anything else, "big talk" but really just intended to say, "Hey, man, don't mess with me because I will defend myself," but it would not surprise me if some anti-gun prosecutor brought charges because he didn't like the tenor set by those signs, and wanted to put a hurt on anyone with the audacity to not just cower and wait for protection to arrive in the form of uniformed police officers...

Anyone here have an opinion about the signs?
    Signs apparently do work, just not all the time or against determined criminals.

How does a prosecutor argue premeditation in a self defense case?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Signs apparently do work, just not all the time or against determined criminals.
    Or drunken idiots.

The man was identified as Sheldon Reece, 32, of Fort Worth, who suffered a gunshot wound to his knee, according to Fort Worth police reports.
    I bet that hurt....
    Sig P220ST; P229DAK/.40; P229TT/9mm, P228 (CPO) & P239/9mm; S&W 617; Ruger MK-II/Pac-Lite; Stag AR15 Middie; M1 Garand & M1903A3; Armory SSR-85C-2/AK47; Yugo M59 SKS; NRA Life Member & Eagle Scout.

“The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men” – Henry David Thoreau

Why broadcast with signs .Alot of BG aren't very bright any way. If you broadcast that you have guns in the house it might incourage someone looking for guns to break in. It also takes away the element of suprise. It could also be looked at as premeditation.

Best sign to have is one saying house is protected by a security alarm system. The signs apparently work as well or better at detering break ins than the systems do at detecting break ins.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post

How does a prosecutor argue premeditation in a self defense case?

Well, let's say the sign says, "Survivors will be shot again"?!

Obviously I don't support the idea of prosecuting a home-defender for shooting a home-invader, but what if he shot the guy three or four times, and the prosecutor wants to say, "You didn't have to give him those last three shots; was he a 'survivor to be shot again?' " He could play that cynically to a grand jury, and then to a criminal jury... If a sign has to go up, why not something that makes the gun owner seem a little less bloodthirsty? He can BE bloodthirsty for all I care (I favor the idea of merciless defense, by the way) but he doesn't have to prejudice outside observers against him. I think it's unwise.

We don't know the details and are getting a sketchy account of what happened. I think a 50% target hit ratio is excellent in a real situation. I also think that if I can end a fight in 2 shots without blowing my whole living room to pieces and emptying an entire mag at someone I can barely see, than that would be the most desirable action to take. I think the guy had some skill or at least a cool head to incapacitate a criminal long enough for the police to get there. Like I said, we have very little detail to comment on.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    GG's alive, BG's in jail... homeowner did well enough.

As for shooting in the knee... did anyone thing he might have started there and been planningto work his way up, but the cops arrived too soon? Just a thought...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links