Pot growing cop killer no billed - GJ saw SD

This is a discussion on Pot growing cop killer no billed - GJ saw SD within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not sure if this belong here or in the Law Enforcement forum. A man defended his home from a no -knock warrant service and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Pot growing cop killer no billed - GJ saw SD

VIP Member

Pot growing cop killer no billed - GJ saw SD

I'm not sure if this belong here or in the Law Enforcement forum.

A man defended his home from a no -knock warrant service and in the process
    killed an officer.

The Grand Jury no billed him.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/M...243993261.html

His bond was now dropped to 50K, and he is still being held on the underlying drug charges; apparently
    he was growing 12 plants/and had some seed. Original claims that he had illegal guns appear to have been mistaken.

It is a rather sad story all around, especially for the deceased officer's family, and sure to be a controversial GJ ruling in Central Texas.

There was apparently insufficient evidence that the accused knew he was firing
    on LE when they raided his home at 5 A.M. to execute a no-knock warrant which was based partly
    on lies by an informant.
    Last edited by Hopyard; February 6th, 2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammar
    Sig 210 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Need a new link Hopy...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Need a new link Hopy...
    See if this one works:
    Man Charged With Killing Burleson County Deputy No Billed by Grand Jury
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Sad all around indeed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Need a new link Hopy...
    Hmmm, it just worked for me 3 seconds ago.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Bad deal all the way around.

Would be much better if they had picked up the guy on the street or when leaving his home and then executed the warrant.

Informant information is only as good as the informant, and usually they are not the best character people to start with.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Link works for me. Hate to hear a LEO lost his life, but if someone breaks into your home without identifying themself in a no knock situation, this is a risk they are going to have to take.

I'm not exactly cheering the situation, but I think the jury made the right call from the info I've read.
    packinnova, Aceoky, DJC7 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Would be much better if they had picked up the guy on the street or when leaving his home and then executed the warrant.

Informant information is only as good as the informant, and usually they are not the best character people to start with.
    The rule of thumb I always used (after leaning some ropes). Informants give you info for their long term or sometimes short term goals. They expect to get something out of it and it may not be what you intend for them to get.
    This tragedy and resulting No True Bill is the result of what can go wrong with a "No Knock" warrant. It doesn't mean the tool should not be in the box but we should remember what can go wrong as it did horribly in this case.
    MikeNice, mcp1810 and Hopyard like this.

Makes me very sad to think an officer lost his life over plants that two complete states have said are legal to smoke.

50+ years we have mounted a war of drugs we have killed and imprisoned many people in a complete generation for what? If you can not win a war in 50+ years maybe it is not winnable.

May this officers family find an answer to their questions.

Unfortunate story.

I am curious how he survived.

I would think that once he opened fire, his personal lead count would have increased exponentially.
    blitzburgh and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Unfortunate story.

I am curious how he survived.

I would think that once he opened fire, his personal lead count would have increased exponentially.
    Just a guess, I think the team was not all that well trained and I think some of the members sort of knew this raid was messed up.
    The story has been kicking around locally for several months, and one gets an impression that lots of stuff wasn't right.

I wondered the same thing you have.
    Andrew Jackson

Its a shame someone lost their life, but even if this worked as planned, it would still be a tragedy. If a man gets locked up for owning and selling a plant or any other substance to willing buyers, who cares? Especially this plant? And he had "illegal" guns? I do believe that he, along with anyone else, has every right to own any firearm he damn well pleases.

Drug prohibition and firearm regulations are relatively new ideas in our country, and both are unconstitutional and a waste of time and money.

Again, its sad that someone lost their life, especially an officer, but if I hear my door get kicked in at 5am and see an armed man in my house drawing down on me, I will have my rifle in hand, and Ill be pulling the trigger. I dont care what the deal is, if someone is possibly trying to kill me, Im defending myself. The same goes for when SWAT teams do no-knock raids at the wrong houses. Even if any officer starts to unprovoked shoot at me, or in any other way tries to cause grave bodily harm or death, I will defend myself. A badge or uniform doesnt give you a right to endanger or try to take my life or the lives of my family without reason.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    The rule of thumb I always used (after leaning some ropes). Informants give you info for their long term or sometimes short term goals. They expect to get something out of it and it may not be what you intend for them to get.
    This tragedy and resulting No True Bill is the result of what can go wrong with a "No Knock" warrant. It doesn't mean the tool should not be in the box but we should remember what can go wrong as it did horribly in this case.

^Baloney^^^^^^
    to bold

No knocks are stupid, and all it does is afford the police the ability to grandstand.
    Get the guy going to get a paper.
    He had no hostage, so what if he even had weapons that were questionable.
    Informants lie.
    Too bad the police haven't figured this out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Makes me very sad to think an officer lost his life over plants that two complete states have said are legal to smoke.

50+ years we have mounted a war of drugs we have killed and imprisoned many people in a complete generation for what? If you can not win a war in 50+ years maybe it is not winnable.

May this officers family find an answer to their questions.
    Time to stop the idiotic "War on Drugs" Marijuana is not the evil demon that "our" government has led us to believe for the past century.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Another marijuana related killing, no wait, stormtroopers, no... it's all the guns, no...........

Reefer Madness!
    Sig 210 and OD* like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

In today's high tech world it would seem there are better ways to nab someone. A GPS tracker on their car, and get them leaving the convenience store. Kicking in someone's door and walking into an AK-47, or 12 gauge, or 223, etc is a no win situation.
    OD* likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links