Teens killed by owners of store they tried to rob.

This is a discussion on Teens killed by owners of store they tried to rob. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I borrowed this from another forum. I thought yall would like to read it. This is a success story to me. Good Guys 2, bad ...

Thread: Teens killed by owners of store they tried to rob.

Teens killed by owners of store they tried to rob.

I borrowed this from another forum. I thought yall would like to read it.
    This is a success story to me. Good Guys 2, bad guys-0.

Jumpy teens died in store they came to rob

By SAEED AHMED
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 01/26/05
    The cash register at Shoat's Grocery and Package Store in Oglethorpe County held just $300 Monday when the two teenagers walked in.

If they had been patient, the would-be robbers could have had it.

ALLEN SULLIVAN/Athens Banner-Herald/AP

Gloria Turner and husband Bobby Doster were about to hand over money when one teenager forced a shootout.

But, deciding the shopkeepers were too slow in complying with their demands, one of the young men pulled out a gun, igniting a gunbattle with the 62-year-old owner and his wife.

Both teens wound up dead.

"I'd have given it to them. Our insurance would have covered it," said Gloria Turner, who has owned the store for eight years with her husband.

Turner, 56, was rearranging the store, in the tiny community of Hutchins, when the teenagers walked in Monday evening.

One was wearing a wig that partly covered his eyes, prompting Turner to quip, "Can you see to walk with that thing on?"

The teen mumbled something, she recalled. He ran past Turner and shoved her husband, Bobby "Shoats" Doster, against the bakery counter.

The second teen pulled a white skullcap over his face, pushed Turner to the cash register and demanded money.

"I was about to give it to them . . . when the first guy says, 'You're not moving fast enough,' and pulls out a gun," Turner said Tuesday.

The teen aimed the gun at her husband and fired. The bullet missed. His gun jammed.

That was enough for Doster, who pulled out a .380 from his pocket. At the same time, his wife grabbed the 9 mm she kept under under the counter.

Both began firing at the teenagers, who ran to the back of the store for cover. A full-fledged gunbattle erupted.

The teens crouched behind a meat counter. The one with the gun popped up every few seconds to fire another round.

The unarmed teen kept shouting, "Shoot them! Shoot them!" while tossing at the couple whatever items he could get his hands on, Turner said.

The exchange of gunfire lasted less than five minutes "but it felt like hours," Turner said.

She remembered firing with one hand and dialing 911 with the other.

Deputies arrived four minutes later to find the store littered with shell casings. Both teenagers lay sprawled on the floor — one shot several times, the other with a bullet in his chest, said Sheriff Mike Smith. Authorities withheld the identities of the teenagers until relatives could be notified. One was 17, the other 19, police said. Both were from Athens.

Turner and her husband will not be charged, Smith said.

"People have a right to protect their lives and their property," Smith said.

"We don't encourage them to take the law in their hands, but sometimes they are left with no other choice."

Turner and her husband moved to Hutchins, an unincorporated community in Oglethorpe County about 80 miles east of Atlanta, to get away from the encroaching development in Winder.

The attempted robbery Tuesday was the first holdup at their little store, which sells everything from alcohol to fishing supplies to sandwiches.

It also was the first robbery in Oglethorpe County in 30 years in which someone was killed, Sheriff Smith said.

"Shoats is a little shaken up by it all, but it hasn't hit me yet," Turner said, cleaning up the store Tuesday.

"I know it will, when I sit down to rest for a minute. They were humans' lives, after all."
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Evolution in action.

I get so damned sick of the cops making the tried and tired "We don't encourage them to take the law in their hands," line of pure BS, this couple did not "Take the law into their own hands" damn it, they responded to a criminal attack and DEFENDED their lives. It sounds like too many police administrators want us like England where it is illegal to defend yourself. :club: :comeandge

Amen F350. Not to knock the LEO's but they more than likely show up after the fact. I respect the Law but I knwo that I have myslef to look after myself and my wife.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by F350
    I get so damned sick of the cops making the tried and tired "We don't encourage them to take the law in their hands," line of pure BS, this couple did not "Take the law into their own hands" damn it, they responded to a criminal attack and DEFENDED their lives. It sounds like too many police administrators want us like England where it is illegal to defend yourself. :club: :comeandge
    Was exactly my thought when I read that, too. It should have read (he should have said), "It's too bad they had to be the ones to cleanse the gene pool in this case, but sometimes they are left with no other choice."
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Something like this happened locally about a week ago the guy had given them all the mone about 110$ as he said he had just made a cash drop in the safe..

They didnt like it decided to shoot him he was faster on the draw and a better shot . Video from the security backs him up no charges filed with the same BS line about dont take the law into your own hands etc etc...

Should have been We thank ya for removing 2 future inmates of the state so we dont have to house and feed then and have them in court every couple of years

VIP Member
    Well it was the sheriff that said that. What do you expect from an elected politician? The department lawyers probably to tell him to say that otherwise the next time someone commits suicide by robbing an armed citizen the department will be named in the civil lawsuit because the sheriff said it was ok to shoot robbers.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    they got L-U-C-K-Y. A 5 minute gunbattle is an eternity.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If they hadn't "taken the law into their own hands" they'd be dead. I don't look at it as taking the law into your own hands when your defending yourself. Taking the law into your own hands would be if they ran and you chased them down.
    For God, Family and Country!

Good riddance, its too bad even the local LEO doesnt encourage this behavior.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nf9648
    Good riddance, its too bad even the local LEO doesnt encourage this behavior.
    +1 I could not agree more.

Links