OR: Man stops home invader before he gets in

This is a discussion on OR: Man stops home invader before he gets in within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Motion cameras, a baseball bat, and a broken railing stopped a home invasion without the BG getting inside. Glad it worked this time... But I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: OR: Man stops home invader before he gets in

Motion cameras, a baseball bat, and a broken railing stopped a home invasion without the BG getting inside.

Glad it worked this time... But I still prefer keeping them out altogether, not opening the door. If you just gotta open the door, do it armed.

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    "I open the deadbolt to ask him what he needed, and he flies back and hits the door and knocks it open," Cory said.

Cory's three kids watched it all from the front window. He said this will become a lesson for them to keep the door locked.

"That's the first thing, as a parent, you panic," he said. "You're not going to let somebody near your kids."
    He willingly almost did exactly that. At least he recognizes the error. Hard to imagine that it didn't occur to him earlier, having kids inside and how ludicrously simple it could be to get inside when unbolting and opening the door for the intruder.

Good example of how a "double" storm/security door could come in handy, in which the inner locked "heavy" door can be opened (or the peep/communication hole used) while the outer "screen" door remains secured. Good example of how effective lighting in the entry area can keep a person cloaked in darkness while lighting up the new arrival like an airport landing strip.
    DJC7 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Closing the blinds and buying more cameras? Wrong, just buy one firearm and forget about unlocking doors.OMO
    RickyD, Texron, pgrass101 and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Closing the blinds and buying more cameras? Wrong, just buy one firearm and forget about unlocking doors.OMO
    Excuse me? You're advocating shooting an unarmed man trying to force their way inside? Or maybe not, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

VIP Member
    He got lucky this time. And, I agree with RETSUPT - hiding in the house and hoping BG's will pass you by is not much of a way to live.

I started working from home recently and my office is next to the front door. I had started to get sloppy about carrying in the house; sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. Now that I am near the door all of the time, I realized the error of my ways and I constantly carry - I always have a gun on me unless I am in the shower or in bed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Excuse me? You're advocating shooting an unarmed man trying to force their way inside? Or maybe not, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
    How do you know he is unarmed? If someone comes through my front door uninvited I am not taking the time to figure it out, especially if my kids are home.
    DJC7, Lee 1973, niks and 1 others like this.

Yup.
    Lee 1973 and pittypat21 like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    This is quite OK in some states. I'll leave the moral issue for my legislature to sort out; oh, they already did.

Penal Code Section 932
    "(b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

"(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation"

What the law is where you live is something you need to learn. It could be very different from what I just posted.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Home invader goes into the house, gun owner in the house... Fare ye well and adieu to ye fare spanish ladies, farewell and adieu ye ladies of Spain...
    RETSUPT99 and Texron like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    This is quite OK in some states. I'll leave the moral issue for my legislature to sort out; oh, they already did.

Penal Code Section 932
    "(b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

"(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation"

What the law is where you live is something you need to learn. It could be very different from what I just posted.
    Yep.

Here once they make it through the door it's game on. Even if they are only armed with their low IQ, I have the right to shoot. That said, if they make it just a half step out the door, they better have a gun or you could be screwed.

Absolutely justified. Lawful in many states, as some have pointed out. Forcible entry with manifest forcible felony imminent. Qualifies legally, in many states. Far "more" legal, of course, if you can fully know your attacker is indeed an attacker, that the attacker has the means of actually reaching you (as opposed to still being on the other side of a barrier), etc. But, lawful nonetheless to stop a manifest forcible felony in progress, in many states.

The state in question, Oregon:

ORS 161.209 Use of physical force in defense of a person. Except as provided in ORS 161.215 and 161.219, a person is justified in using physical force upon another person for self-defense or to defend a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of unlawful physical force, and the person may use a degree of force which the person reasonably believes to be necessary for the purpose. [1971 c.743 §22]

ORS 161.215 Limitations on use of physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using physical force upon another person if:

(1) With intent to cause physical injury or death to another person, the person provokes the use of unlawful physical force by that person; or

(2) The person is the initial aggressor, except that the use of physical force upon another person under such circumstances is justifiable if the person withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to the other person the intent to do so, but the latter nevertheless continues or threatens to continue the use of unlawful physical force; or

(3) The physical force involved is the product of a combat by agreement not specifically authorized by law. [1971 c.743 §24]

ORS 161.219 Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:

(1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or

(2) Committing or attempting to commit a burglary in a dwelling; or

(3) Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person. [1971 c.743 §23]

ORS 161.225 Use of physical force in defense of premises. (1) A person in lawful possession or control of premises is justified in using physical force upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or terminate what the person reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by the other person in or upon the premises.

(2) A person may use deadly physical force under the circumstances set forth in subsection (1) of this section only:

(a) In defense of a person as provided in ORS 161.219; or

(b) When the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent the commission of arson or a felony by force and violence by the trespasser.

(3) As used in subsection (1) and subsection (2)(a) of this section, “premises” includes any building as defined in ORS 164.205 and any real property. As used in subsection (2)(b) of this section, “premises” includes any building. [1971 c.743 §25]
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sarcastic? Certainly not, if you break into my house, I'll assume you are armed with very bad intentions...
    Oldpsufan and pittypat21 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't want to be shot for forcibly entering into a house? Don't try to get into the house. I'm shocked that there are state laws where you can't use lethal force when someone is breaking into your house. You don't know what their intentions are besides they're up to no good.

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Sarcastic? Certainly not, if you break into my house, I'll assume you are armed with very bad intentions...
    I agree with you but the homeowner was the one with the bat.

VIP Member
    No, I won't shoot anyone until after they have forced their way inside.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links