Really good. Woman stops armed suspect, no shots fired.

This is a discussion on Really good. Woman stops armed suspect, no shots fired. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is quite a story. The woman discovered a man with a shotgun and machete on her porch middle of the night. Got her gun, ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By Fitch
  • 3 Post By Freedom Doc
  • 3 Post By tdave
  • 2 Post By NONAME762
  • 2 Post By bigpapa
  • 1 Post By 88keys
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By Fitch

Thread: Really good. Woman stops armed suspect, no shots fired.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

This is quite a story. The woman discovered a man with a shotgun and machete on her porch middle of the night. Got her gun, pointed it at him, he retreated to back door. In the end, he was captured alive by policemen with no shots fired. Well done by the woman and the LEO's.

See: Armed woman defends home from psycho wielding a machete, shotgun | The Daily Caller

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    From the article -- "The woman ran to get her gun. When she returned to the front of the house, she pointed it right at him. This caused the would-be intruder to retreat. He attempted to enter through the back of the house, but the gun once again deterred him."

No, the woman deterred him using a gun. A gun, being an inanimate object, has no conscious ability to do anything.
    Last edited by Freedom Doc; February 14th, 2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Her husband is in Afghanistan defending us all and some would have disarmed her here at home.

I think this kid has a screw loose.
    PEF and gatorbait51 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Yeah, you got that right if a person pointed a gun in my face I think that I will be leaving and not going to the back, these young kids now days.
    gatorbait51 and SteelerFan like this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

“I pointed the gun right at him, and he took a few steps back,” she said. “I felt like I was playing a game with him. He would step up closer to the door, I would raise the gun, and then he would take a step back.”

Retreat once okay, move forward again? Lucky kid not to be dead.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

As I remember the kid was a mental case and had no real intntion of harming here he wanted to die that night by cop .. It was not a bugler etc just one depressed kid who wanted to die ...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I thought both the woman and the police exhibited good judgment. The kid didn't break into the house. She was scared but held her fire. I think that was the right choice in this situation. The idea is to stop the attack. She did. She has to deal with her reaction to the freight that will keep her awake at night, but at least she isn't dealing with the trauma of taking a life. And her kids didn't have to endure Mom shooting someone. All in all she did about as well as one can do in this situation.

The officers, when they arrived, didn't shoot the kid full of holes at the first sight of a weapon, or first excuse. They managed to get him into custody with out a shot fired. They clearly understood the difference between "shooting because they need to" and "shooting just because they can." The difference is profound. Well done to them.

Fitch
    miller_man likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Around 1 a.m. on Friday morning, a man in a ski mask came to her front porch. He carried both a shotgun and a machete ...

“I kept hearing, ‘tap, tap, tap,’” she recalled during an interview with WOOD-TV.

The woman ran to get her gun. When she returned to the front of the house, she pointed it right at him. This caused the would-be intruder to retreat. He attempted to enter through the back of the house, but the gun once again deterred him.

When police arrived, they chased the suspect briefly until he threw down his weapon.
    In a situation with children inside the home, I think she did fairly well. I likely might have done the same.

1am.
    Shotgun-wielding BG at the door.
    Has a backup weapon ... a machete.
    No violent break-in attempt, apparently.
    Comes to both the front door, then the back door.
    Ain't the Avon lady.

At the second approach to the door, it's pretty clear the person is either drugged-up, psycho or fully intending on doing very bad things. Hunker down at a "funnel" spot in the home, call 911 about an attempted robbery entry with guns/machetes, then await the outcome.

About the only thing I can critique here, in the scenario, is getting into the BG's view and sights a second time around. Bad juju, with a shotgun involved and kids still to be protected.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

15 years old? Where are his parents? Wondering what kind of homelife this young lad has?

VIP Member
    I honestly don't think the "system" will benefit this kid.

He is going to be one of these problems we hear about in the future.
    Hopefully his kill will not number too many.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If she were nearby, I would offer a little guard duty until her soldier/husband returns. No home front warrior deserves this kind of threat.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links