KY: home invader shot

This is a discussion on KY: home invader shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sounds like a bad choice of neighborhoods to try this, even the neighbors say they'll protect themselves... Story: Home Invasion Suspect Shot By Homeowner | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: KY: home invader shot

Sounds like a bad choice of neighborhoods to try this, even the neighbors say they'll protect themselves...

Story: Home Invasion Suspect Shot By Homeowner | LEX18.com

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

In the comment section below the story, the shooter states that he is glad he didn't kill anyone and the intruder's stepfather writes that he is thankful his kid was not killed. Although I can't see charges against the homeowner, what happened to "keep your mouth shut"?
    hello1900 and gatorbait51 like this.

From the homeowner on the FB comments:

"I am the homeowner that shot the intruder. My house has been broken into three times in the last nine months the last time ( about five weeks ago ) among the items taken was a hand gun. After the first break in I thought it best to always have a hand gun with me or at least near me, feeling unsafe in my own home. I hope I never find it necessary to take a life especially a 16 year old even thou he was armed. I'm very relived I only shot him in the leg."

I'm glad it didn't take multiple (or any, for that matter) burglaries for me to decide to always be armed while home.
    gatorbait51, ep1953 and Aceoky like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It's a good idea to shut up, but it's an even better idea to stay off social media saying you shot someone (or that you WOULD, as another poster said).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Stepfather of the intruder on FB comments:

"Im sorry that your house was broken into last night by my stepson and thank you for not killing him. We had dropped him off over his girlfriends house to spend valentines day with her and we dont know or who he was with when he came to your house. Anyway thank you once again and hopefully he has learned his lesson and make better choices in the future."

How refreshing it is to see this kind of response instead of "WHY YOU DO DAT DERE TO MY KID MAN. HE WAS JUS AT THE WRONG HOUSE DELIVERIN FREE BIBLES. HE AINT TRY TO HURT NO ONE!!!" or some variation of the usual spiel we're used to hearing/seeing.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    It's a good idea to shut up, but it's an even better idea to stay off social media saying you shot someone (or that you WOULD, as another poster said).
    Or like comments you see on this forum sometimes?

I read the comments. I'm glad the shooter doesn't have to live with having killed someone.

I felt some sympathy for the step father who dropped the kid off for an innocent activity, then learned he'd committed an armed robbery and been wounded in the process, but had the character to react as he did.

The take away for me is:
    • Always have the gun on you.
    • Do what you have to do to stop the attack.
    • Keep everything else locked up.
    • Keep your mouth shut.

Fitch
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

^^^^^ That pretty much covers it. ^^^^^
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glockman10mm has an alibi for this one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The homeowner has nothing to worry about if he shot the kid inside his home. Doesn't matter if he says he loved it and will fire twice as many rounds next time. In KY its a righteous shoot and the kid should be ever grateful that the homeowner was so compassionate. The step father also seems to " get it" so I expect after the bullet wound heals theres gonna be a can of whup you know what opened up too.
    Ghost1958, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Ex Member
    Disobey the 10 Commandments, Thou shall not steal, and you pay.:):):):)
    tdave and gatorbait51 like this.

If you're surprised that criminal activity can get you shot in Kentucky, you don't know Kentuckians very well. Ditto if you're surprised that the perp's Stepdad was honest, thankful & apologetic. And if you think that we wish, want or hope for someone ELSE to be responsible for our lives, then stay EXACTLY where you are and DON'T move here. 'Cause we've got no time for such nonsense and no interest in calling you...our neighbor.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    If you're surprised that criminal activity can get you shot in Kentucky, you don't know Kentuckians very well. Ditto if you're surprised that the perp's Stepdad was honest, thankful & apologetic. And if you think that we wish, want or hope for someone ELSE to be responsible for our lives, then stay EXACTLY where you are and DON'T move here. 'Cause we've got no time for such nonsense and no interest in calling you...our neighbor.
    EggZactly
    tdave and Ghost1958 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Some of the comments Id lay odds, were made by those without a CCP. The comments like "Id do more than shoot him in the leg".

Those kinds of comments are the kind made by people who have not had to suddenly, and seriously, consider under what situations they would shoot.
    tdave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Some of the comments Id lay odds, were made by those without a CCP. The comments like "Id do more than shoot him in the leg".

Those kinds of comments are the kind made by people who have not had to suddenly, and seriously, consider under what situations they would shoot.
    I sure hope you're right.

Glad the home owners OK and didn't have to kill anyone. Refreshing to see the stepfathers attitude. I don't have Facebook yet eldest daughters urging me to start but I can't see posting some of the things I've been seeing on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links