patron of thrift store stops robbery

This is a discussion on patron of thrift store stops robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I mentioned this in my introduction but I think its interesting enough to tell the story here. I have a friend that owns a retail/small ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By bouts
  • 3 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By NONAME762

Thread: patron of thrift store stops robbery

I mentioned this in my introduction but I think its interesting enough to tell the story here.

I have a friend that owns a retail/small engine mechanic shop. across and 100 feet up the street from him is a thrift store. just last week he observed 2 young men wrapping bandannas around their faces. he went straight to the phone and called the police. then he retrieved his gun from the office and put it in his pocket and went out side to the street. shortly after that the 2 men came out of the thrift shop and walked back down the street in his direction (to the direction they originally came) and shortly after the thrift shop owner came out and stayed by his door but did not say anything.

My friend asked one of the would be robbers what was going on and the fool pulled down his bandanna and said " we know him. we were just messing around with him". My friend was able to identify the man who was caught rather quickly

all that was in the news.

in talking with the thrift shop owner later he found out that one of the men did have a gun and they pulled it out and waved it around. the part that did not make the news was that there was a customer who was also in the store. when he saw some one in a mask with a gun he quickly pulled his out and got the robbers attention and both men turned right around and left the store.

It never seems to make the news when a civilian stops a robbery unless there were actual shots fired and the perp was hurt.

the cool thing about this story was when the local police found out my friend had walked out to the street with his gun in his pocket (he is not a CWL holder) the police not only didn't care, one of the detectives acted like it was a good idea. So it was good to see that at least that segment of the local police force is on OUR side and not theirs. Not sure if I worded that correctly. I do not mean to offend any police officers.
    I mentioned that portion because years ago in a neighboring city a man was asleep on his couch when someone tried to climb in through the window right above the couch. the home owner grabbed a pair of brass knuckles off his coffee table and slugged the guy a few times. He then was arrested for owning brass knuckles.

Sounds like your friend did the right thing, calling the police first, then arming himself, but maintaining distance for safety, and observing the situation so he could be a good witness. No one was hurt, and the BGs were caught. Kudos to the police as well for not prosecuting a law abiding citizen who was merely taking measures to defend himself.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "the part that did not make the news was that there was a customer who was also in the store. when he saw some one in a mask with a gun he quickly pulled his out and got the robbers attention and both men turned right around and left the store."

I don't believe a word of it. Surely no one was one of the customer's loved ones, he wouldn't have chanced the BG shooting at him, someone or an LEO might have mistaken him for the BG and shot first with no questions asked, no one would chance getting involved and any possible liabilities involved, etc. What was he thinking? A wannabe LEO?

Yes, sarcasm.
    BenGoodLuck and NONAME762 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by bouts View Post
    I mentioned this in my introduction but I think its interesting enough to tell the story here.

I have a friend that owns a retail/small engine mechanic shop. across and 100 feet up the street from him is a thrift store. just last week he observed 2 young men wrapping bandannas around their faces. he went straight to the phone and called the police. then he retrieved his gun from the office and put it in his pocket and went out side to the street. shortly after that the 2 men came out of the thrift shop and walked back down the street in his direction (to the direction they originally came) and shortly after the thrift shop owner came out and stayed by his door but did not say anything.

My friend asked one of the would be robbers what was going on and the fool pulled down his bandanna and said " we know him. we were just messing around with him". My friend was able to identify the man who was caught rather quickly

all that was in the news.

in talking with the thrift shop owner later he found out that one of the men did have a gun and they pulled it out and waved it around. the part that did not make the news was that there was a customer who was also in the store. when he saw some one in a mask with a gun he quickly pulled his out and got the robbers attention and both men turned right around and left the store.

It never seems to make the news when a civilian stops a robbery unless there were actual shots fired and the perp was hurt.

the cool thing about this story was when the local police found out my friend had walked out to the street with his gun in his pocket (he is not a CWL holder) the police not only didn't care, one of the detectives acted like it was a good idea. So it was good to see that at least that segment of the local police force is on OUR side and not theirs. Not sure if I worded that correctly. I do not mean to offend any police officers.

I mentioned that portion because years ago in a neighboring city a man was asleep on his couch when someone tried to climb in through the window right above the couch. the home owner grabbed a pair of brass knuckles off his coffee table and slugged the guy a few times. He then was arrested for owning brass knuckles.
    I think you worded that right fine Mr Bouts. I caught on to what you were saying easy enough and I'm just a dumb Redneck.

Your friend sounds like a smart cookie and a good guy to know.
    welder516 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Links