Oscar Pistorius Trial - Responsible Gun Use

Oscar Pistorius Trial - Responsible Gun Use

This is a discussion on Oscar Pistorius Trial - Responsible Gun Use within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is anyone following the Oscar Pistorius Trial? I would like some comments from the forum concerning Oscar's alleged use of his firearm for self-defence. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Oscar Pistorius Trial - Responsible Gun Use

Post Oscar Pistorius Trial - Responsible Gun Use

Is anyone following the Oscar Pistorius Trial?

I would like some comments from the forum concerning Oscar's alleged use of his firearm for self-defence.
    I would like this thread to focus on the scenario as related to firearm usage.
    What would you have done if you found yourself in a situation similar to what Oscar claims he was in?
    I will post more details of the case if they are required...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Not to ask a dumb question but who is Oscar Pistorius??

Edited Never mind looked it up. Im sorry but dont buy his story. Takes half a sec to reach over and see if GF is in bed with you or not. Dont buy his yarn.
    gatorbait51 and mano3 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Even if he thought there was a robber in the bathroom it was incredibly reckless to dump the magazine through the door with no idea what/who was on the other side. I don't know all the details but I do have a friend in SA; when I asked him what he thought of the whole deal he said he thought Pistorius was "guilty as hell". And he's pretty pro-gun.
    gatorbait51 and Black Knight like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I'm no expert in any sense, but I have an opinion based on what I was taught.

From Fox News:
    "He says he fired four times through the toilet cubicle door, hitting Steenkamp three times in the head, arm and hip or side area after thinking she was a dangerous intruder."

Assuming that this is true, he violated one of the basic rules of firearm use: know your target and what's beyond it. He did not know that the person in the cubicle was an intruder or a threat, therefore he should not have fired.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

This case isn't self defense. At best it's manslaughter. At worst, premeditated murder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I have not followed the trial, but I did follow when it first happened and quietly drew my own unofficial conclusions. First, two many convenient setups, ladder left against the house by workmen (yeah, right). Second, upon hearing a noise the first thing you do is be aware of where your GF is. Third, as others suggested you do not shoot through a door. Fourth, the guy must be nuts to waste a beautiful woman, if for some reason you want to end a relationship you don't do it with a gun.
    gatorbait51 and SilvaMan61 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by crc123 View Post
    Carry Scenarios / Is anyone following the Oscar Pistorius Trial?
    So, what's the scenario, for the discussion?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Self-defense against what?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I'll say it one more time................YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Smokey
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have casually followed this story but with no great interest. It does seem from what we've been told that this was premeditated murder. There's just too many holes in his version of events. Too much that just doesn't seem plausible. It's much more plausible that he shot her intentionally and then created the story for his cover. His handicap will no doubt make incarceration more difficult for him but that would appear to be his destination.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Yes, when an intruder enters your house the first place they head for is your bathroom toilet stall.

VIP Member
    Have not paid attention to the trial and really don't care about it. As for trying to analyze his actions, don't try to apply the laws of your state, or even the US. It happened in South Africa and the only thing that is pertinent is what their laws are.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    The question should be, WHY are these (probably) unjustified cases the ones that get national/international media attention? When hardly any justifiable that saves innocent lives never makes it past local newspapers and local tv news?

Nearly every single unjustifiable gets national media attention to further the anti 2nd am agenda of the propaganda media and the left. Then the low information viewer comes away w/ the conclusion that all gun owners are a little crazy when nearly 100% of the stories are negative.

I haven't followed the case, but bits and pieces it doesn't pass the smell test. I heard that neighbors said they were arguing loud earlier too.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    He broke one of the major rules by not knowing what his target was. He got out of bed and did not realize his girlfriend was not in it. I have trouble buying the story.

VIP Member
    I don't think he broke any safety rules. I think he knew exactly who he was shooting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links