BAD: Chicago thrift store worker killed by gun hidden in donated clothing

This is a discussion on BAD: Chicago thrift store worker killed by gun hidden in donated clothing within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Chicago woman working in a local thrift store was killed Friday when she was accidentally shot in the chest by a gun concealed in ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By airslot
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 2 Post By Gearhead
  • 1 Post By BadgerJ
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: BAD: Chicago thrift store worker killed by gun hidden in donated clothing

BAD: Chicago thrift store worker killed by gun hidden in donated clothing

A Chicago woman working in a local thrift store was killed Friday when she was accidentally shot in the chest by a gun concealed in some donated clothing.

According to MyFoxChicago.com, 54-year-old Carmen Dominguez was sorting through clothing in a back room of the store when her co-worker shook a sock containing the .22 caliber handgun, causing the weapon to fall out and fire, hitting Dominguez in the chest.

The mother of two was pronounced dead an hour later at a local medical center, according to the medical examiner’s office.

Anel Mendoza, Dominguez's niece said she had worked at the thrift store for more than 25 years.

"She had just been promoted not too long ago because she had been with the company for so long," Mendoza told MyFoxChicago.com.

"She was definitely a family-oriented person. She was always there for us," Mendoza said.

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been notified of the shooting and is investigating.
    Chicago thrift store worker killed by gun hidden in donated clothing | Fox News
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Gotta love the picture used in the article. Has no relevance to the story, other than it shows a gun (one that would not fire if dropped). Show us a pic of the real POC .
    StormRhydr and msgt/ret like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Wow, that's terrible. I'll bet it was a murder weapon discarded into a clothing bin. Hope they catch the scum who put it there.
    DarrenL likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I don't believe the story for a second. She deliberately shot her coworker.

A pistol without a drop safety, hidden in some old clothes, a woman receives a fatal chest wound. I don't discount weird coincidences, but this is a lot of coincidences to happen all at the same time. Not saying all these things couldn't happen at one time, but it seems a little too suspicious.
    tcbrad98 and msgt/ret like this.

How come you got promoted over me,I should have got your job,sumpin tells me there's gonna be an opening
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This sounds awful sketchy. . . .

A tragic accident caused by the neglect of an idiot, or the criminal act of a lawbreaker.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I don't buy that story either. If the angle of the wound is not almost vertical, this was someone playing with a gun in the sorting room, perhaps in the clothing.

The location of the wounding is the most suspect. When people are playing around they aim at someone's CoM (not head). (People playing around with the gun on themselves often put it to their head).

I hope they get a good forensics team on this.
    msgt/ret likes this.

OSHA is involved; that means there will soon be a new EO coming out, prohibiting the discard of guns, in donated clothing.

I know, I'm being snide. I feel for the victim's family, but whenever OSHA claims jurisdiction it turns into a huge ...... I think I'll stop, before I get in trouble.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Not self-defense related. Tragic, but still closed.
    rocky likes this.

Links