Bad: Ammo Shortage Coming

This is a discussion on Bad: Ammo Shortage Coming within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One would automatically think there is another bad legislative bill on the horizon but that is not the cause this time unless some politicians are ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Bad: Ammo Shortage Coming

One would automatically think there is another bad legislative bill on the horizon but that is not the cause this time unless some politicians are blocking gun powder from being imported.

Think the ammo market is about to get better? Think again.

There are simply too many new shooters for the market to keep up with demand. Itís a wonderful problem to have, but itís still going to be a problem until the industry can catch up.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Only shortage I've seen has been on 22lr's. I relloade everythin ealse ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Wrong forum for this topic.
    oneshot, Old Sarge and Aceoky like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Just as with our current ammunition situation. Compounded by two contracted wars. An increase of gun ownership in the US by three fold since 06. Little to no increase production levels by manufacturers. We have seen a leveling of firearm purchasing. But ammunition demand is estimated to be about 17 billion rounds on the commercial side. That = 170 rounds a year per fire arms owner. I shot 200 yesterday. None of these numbers include, DoD, Federal, State, Local law enforcement. They are strictly commercial numbers.
    There has not been a three fold increase in firearm ownership since 2006. That is just a complete lie. It is slightly higher since 2006, not that crazy three fold increase. In 2006 firearm ownership was at 43%, a three fold increase would be 129% more gun owners to a total of 172%. Completely silly.

All the US ammo manufactures have went to 3 shifts, so they are working 24 hours a day. Many have added new equipment and all have added new workers. So the claim that ammo production has not increased is also absurd.

This is just another person trying to induce panic buying and people are doing it. The reason there is an ammo shortage is because people are hording and buying up everything that is produced.
    drbald1 likes this.

VIP Member
    I think this is misleading
    Daveditchdigger likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I think this is misleading
    If my misleading you mean full of lies, than yes it is misleading. This is misleading like President Clinton was misleading about "sex".
    Nmuskier likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    There has not been a three fold increase in firearm ownership since 2006. That is just a complete lie. It is slightly higher since 2006, not that crazy three fold increase. In 2006 firearm ownership was at 43%, a three fold increase would be 129% more gun owners to a total of 172%. Completely silly.

All the US ammo manufactures have went to 3 shifts, so they are working 24 hours a day. Many have added new equipment and all have added new workers. So the claim that ammo production has not increased is also absurd.

This is just another person trying to induce panic buying and people are doing it. The reason there is an ammo shortage is because people are hording and buying up everything that is produced.
    An increase in 'gun ownership' percentages does not necessarily mean that it's an increase in new firearms owners. I believe they are referring to the overall increase in sales of firearms not firearms purchased by new gun owners. It may be poorly worded, but I believe they are simply suggesting that there's a lot of new firearms that have been purchased, and as new firearms get purchased, the demand for ammunition is going to increase.
    Aceoky likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    An increase in 'gun ownership' percentages does not necessarily mean that it's an increase in new firearms owners. I believe they are referring to the overall increase in sales of firearms not firearms purchased by new gun owners. It may be poorly worded, but I believe they are simply suggesting that there's a lot of new firearms that have been purchased, and as new firearms get purchased, the demand for ammunition is going to increase.
    So let's total number of firearms;

2006 249 million
    2012 298 million

Still not a three fold increase. About a 20% increase, not a 300%.

Next, having an increased number of firearms doesn't really translate into using that many round per year. It is not a one for relationship. I have plenty of friends that don't even shoot all of their firearms in a 5 year span, much less every year. They have the main firearms they use and those get shot, but the rest come out now and then.

From my experience, people shoot much more today, than they did back in the day. I think its primarily due to people having carry permits.

The rounds bought and used for hunting are probably the same today, as back when. Same for skeet shooting.

But pistol rounds, Id bet, have really taken off in sales. Not to mention AR & AK rounds.

And it makes sense that it would be that way. If you are going to CC, it makes sense to get up to snuff on marksmanship/training/practice.

That all being said; the powder shortage seems odd. Powder has not been easy to get since sandy hook. But, I wonder if it got lots worse since the boston marathon bombing.

Im stocked up on powder for a while, but its the one thing I see people really desperate to find, now.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    The reason there is an ammo shortage is because people are hording and buying up everything that is produced.
    THIS!!!! AND the long lines of price gougers I see at EVERY Wal-Mart and Sporting Goods store I go into...Check gunbroker and Arms List for pricing...it's easy to see what is really happening...
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

BAD is now the 15 time or so this has be dupe..

There is not major stuff comeing just more people fanning the flames ...

Now I hear a EO is about to passed then and only then panic ( well that or Kiev getting nuked ....)

until then

keep-calm-and-stop-posting-crap.png
    Daveditchdigger likes this.
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Not a self-defense story.
    TX expat likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links