House Of Pies Robbery (Could Have Been Worse)

This is a discussion on House Of Pies Robbery (Could Have Been Worse) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; House Of Pies is one of those really neat 24 hour Diner style restaurants in Houston, Been there quite a few times with family for ...

Like Tree43Likes
  • 2 Post By Kennydale
  • 4 Post By PEF
  • 3 Post By RickyD
  • 3 Post By USM1976
  • 1 Post By NickBurkhardt
  • 6 Post By blitzburgh
  • 2 Post By CommonCents
  • 3 Post By Tjcrosson
  • 4 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 6 Post By ccw9mm
  • 8 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: House Of Pies Robbery (Could Have Been Worse)

House Of Pies Robbery (Could Have Been Worse)

House Of Pies is one of those really neat 24 hour Diner style restaurants in Houston, Been there quite a few times with family for a late night whatever. And like the quote i have as my signature, this is why I carry and definitely need more training

Story #1

The Update from today
    gatorbait51 and RickyD like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    70 people present - I likely would have given up my wallet, etc. - they aren't going to kill 70 people...

But the gunman appears to be a killer.

The victim from earlier in the day -Stanly Kumbanattel: As for Stanly's family, they said they came to America so their children could live the American dream. Born and raised in Houston, Stanly was, by all accounts, living a fulfilling life that tragically ended the day before his 31st birthday.

"The victim grew up in the Glenshire subdivision and attended Alief Independent School District Schools, except for high school, when he studied in India. Kumbanattel worked as a lab technician in Houston hospitals for about a decade. Recently he went back to school at the University of Texas at Dallas where he was studying computers and engineering."

Sad day. May the Kumbanattel family find peace.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    "70 people present - I likely would have given up my wallet, etc. - they aren't going to kill 70 people..."
    This would probably have been my first reaction as well - a lot of people in an obviously crowded restaurant so it is unlikely that a gun battle with 2 assailants doesn't have collateral damage; and the wallet and phone just aren't worth it. My first thought is to get them out of the building as quickly as possible.

And, you can see how that could very easily be the wrong decision. Having a gun drawn and ready is probably the best of the available options, but there are no good options in this scenario.

Very sad story. They need to fry the guy who pulled the trigger.
    Last edited by RickyD; March 10th, 2014 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Additional thought
    tdave, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

AND, here's the rest of the story...had this thug been robbing the patrons en masse and walking down the aisles taking people's money and waving his firearm at people, I would have had gun already drawn and at the ready...what would you have done if he approached your table and pointed the gun at your wife, kids, or grand child....read his prior crimes.

Source: Charges expected soon in House of Pies armed robbery | News - Home

Sorry, didn't see the OP's update article...

Nobody expects anyone to get into a gun battle...but three or four feet away and waving a gun at you or your family or the people at the table adjacent to you...geesh...
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and RickyD like this.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Give them a drop wallet and prepaid burner phone.
    Pete63 likes this.

Would have made my move at the first opening. I'll take my chances before I'll bet on a thug showing mercy.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    The big problem these days is the murderous thugs will just as soon shoot you to eliminate a witness if they carjack you. Giving up your wallet and keys just might be the start of your troubles and not the end of them these days. Then the thugs fire their weapon in a restaurant, a big sign of the willingness to use deadly force.
    USM1976 and gatorbait51 like this.

If they were walking the isles waving their gun and had already fired shots...as soon as that gun is pointed at me with any sort of likely hood the trigger will be pulled, I'm going to defend my self. I don't care about my phone or wallet but I care about my life. And almost always you have more training and experience shooting than they do. If you start shooting they most likely will run and leave. They don't wanna fight or die either.

Also depends on if you can get your gun out without them noticing and thus you becoming a target.

Marquis is going to find out about TX punishment......
    Aceoky, Arejay, RickyD and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They were in there firing and threatening and although the restaurant patrons wouldn't know this at least one of them had already killed that day. If a patron had shot one would the other have fought? They both ran from the police. Is anybody here psychic?

Predators. Rabid 'yotes. Put 'em down.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Im going with Blitzberg. If you wait until the perps have their guns aimed at you........you waited WAY to long.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Best thing for this poor excuse for a human is a Dirt Nap . And Texas will be the solution for this .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Administrator
    Did any one defend themselves? From the article, it appears not. So it doesn't belong here now does it....
    molleur likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links