IA: Self Defense Shooting...

This is a discussion on IA: Self Defense Shooting... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A mother is upset that two of her children were shot by a permit holder... And he wasn't charged with anything. Lousy, confusing story here: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: IA: Self Defense Shooting...

A mother is upset that two of her children were shot by a permit holder... And he wasn't charged with anything.

Lousy, confusing story here: Mother upset after shooting case closed, no charges filed | Local News - Home
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Dayquawne had a warrant.. go figure.. This story is exactly why I stay outta da hood
    G22Giraffe likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

But Dayquawne and Stashawna were turning their lives around. They were really good kids...they planned to go to college
    G22Giraffe and Goat_Guy like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Strange story............I get the feeling it is that way because many of the facts have not been sorted out or reported.
    The easy way is always mined.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Let translate Mrs. Gates statement. "They were only doing what they were raised to do and I now realize I'm clueless as a parent and will do all I can to mend my ways and teach them better, however we all know its way to late to change them so I'm just going to lie to the cameras and hope for the best... cause like I said, I'm clueless!!!!
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I couldn't follow the story. Much of the details were cut out in both the report and the video. I know in TX he would have been charged for shooting the girl. No inocent bystanders can be shot in my state without going to a trial for attempted murder.
    Ianthin likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

"I've never heard about two kids getting shot and no one getting charged. I just feel that's not OK, because I could have lost both my kids," said Samika Gates.

Police said they acknowledge it is very unusual to have two people shot and not pursue charges against the shooter, but said this was a case where the suspect and witnesses were very cooperative, and the suspect had a permit to carry his gun and used it legally in self-defense.
    You're right, you could have lost both of your "kids". That's why parent's who care about their kids do everything possible to raise them the right way, so they don't have to worry about their kid(s) getting shot and killed while in the commission of a crime.

I am however a bit confused about the other part I've put in bold. What's so unusual about multiple attackers getting shot? Seems to happen all the time, all over the nation.

I'm also surprised that he wasn't charged for hitting a bystander. Maybe she wasn't so innocent? The article leaves a lot to be desired.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

even if this is considered a "good shoot" the guy needs to get some training being that he hit an unintended target and almost killed the girl. I dont know the states laws but it seems as if she died he could be charged with manslaughter.

VIP Member
    The key parts of the story for our future use.

"That he was the one who actually initiated the issue, the confrontation, and the investigation indicates he had actually pulled his own handgun, and the actual shooter was defending himself," said Des Moines police spokesman Sgt. Jason Halifax.
    The gun Dayquawne allegedly possessed was never recovered. As far as his sister also being shot, police said after talking to witnesses and the suspect they determined she was an unintended target.
    Gates said her son did not have a gun
    From this- even kids are dangerous. They'll be irrational and pull a gun during a simple argument. By the time the police show up to sort through the mess the gun they pulled will be long gone. And mama is going to lie and act like her kid is an angel and you're Satan himself for defending yourself.

As an aside, I'm sure some people are going to say the shooter needs training due to an unintended target getting hit. In reality gunfights are ugly. I don't know of anyone that has been involved in a gunfight lasting for more than 1-2 shots that can claim that they've hit what they wanted to hit with every shot... and those people range from untrained civilians to members of tier one special ops groups.
    Recon1342, oakchas and blitzburgh like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    The key parts of the story for our future use.

From this- even kids are dangerous. They'll be irrational and pull a gun during a simple argument. By the time the police show up to sort through the mess the gun they pulled will be long gone. And mama is going to lie and act like her kid is an angel and you're Satan himself for defending yourself.

As an aside, I'm sure some people are going to say the shooter needs training due to an unintended target getting hit. In reality gunfights are ugly. I don't know of anyone that has been involved in a gunfight lasting for more than 1-2 shots that can claim that they've hit what they wanted to hit with every shot... and those people range from untrained civilians to members of tier one special ops groups.
    To say nothing of NYPD's "finest!"
    Echo_Four and Recon1342 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Hitting the girl seems entirely plausible. Depends on where she was when the shooting started. In close proximity to the future felon either in front or behind then yea I can see her catching rounds. The part of the story that gets me is the fact the FF is only 15 with a warrant and carries a gun. But Mama still claims he did nothing wrong and he was standing up for her. Interesting that no Father type figure is mentioned...
    Recon1342 likes this.

VIP Member
    Proof again, stupid people breed stupid children. Of course with the names they were given at birth, they are already behind the 8 ball.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I want to know where the mom hid the gun.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post

+1... That's why we don't carry single shot pistols anymore...
    The Opinion of others I very little regard, & have a thorough Contempt for all men, be their Names Characters & Stations what they may, who appear to be the irreclaimable Enemies of Religion & Liberty.
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links