OK: wheelchair bound homeowner shoots armed interloper.

This is a discussion on OK: wheelchair bound homeowner shoots armed interloper. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The trespasser never made it into the house, but supposedly drew on the homeowner. Homeowner "got the drop" on the trespasser. Interloper got away. Hmmmmmm. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: OK: wheelchair bound homeowner shoots armed interloper.

The trespasser never made it into the house, but supposedly drew on the homeowner. Homeowner "got the drop" on the trespasser. Interloper got away. Hmmmmmm.

Story: Homeowner in wheelchair shoots at intruder | Local News - Home
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    I'm glad the gentleman wasn't hurt and had the ability to take care of himself. I hope he doesn't have to wait too long to get his gun back.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Cool

That's reason #1 have more than 1 gun!! I'm sure those Okie cops got their own guns they don't need the citizens gun.

Time the homeowner hardens his perimeter some with some nice Concertina wire. Might leave a nice blood trail for the dogs.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The cops took his gun for evidence? Why?

They didn't catch the intruder therefore there won't be a trial. Why do the cops need the man's gun? How long will they keep it? Why not make a record of the serial number and if they REALLY want to be thorough they could test fire it to get a sample bullet for ballistics comparison. But don't take the man's gun from him.

He should definitely get the gun back. Only time will tell.

A good friend of mine had a house mate that got a hold of his shotgun & killed himself with it. The police confiscated it, & told him he would get it back. The investigation has been completed. Obvious suicide. He has been long buried, case closed. He called the police dept. a year later & was told he can't have it yet, regardless of the findings, and to call them in five years.

You know it will "get lost". You have about a 50/50 chance of getting any firearm back once it has been confiscated for any reason, at least in my area. Especially if it is something special. I hate to say it, but just the way it is. Just another way to get guns off the streets. They don't want us peasants to have them, especially the ones willing to use them like this fine upstanding individual did. Glad he has a backup.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    The cops took his gun for evidence? Why?

They didn't catch the intruder therefore there won't be a trial. Why do the cops need the man's gun? How long will they keep it? Why not make a record of the serial number and if they REALLY want to be thorough they could test fire it to get a sample bullet for ballistics comparison. But don't take the man's gun from him.

If I may play Devil's advocate, the cops probably think it more likely that the homeowner had a negligent discharge rather than a trespasser with an unholstered gun entering the backyard in broad daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    If I may play Devil's advocate, the cops probably think it more likely that the homeowner had a negligent discharge rather than a trespasser with an unholstered gun entering the backyard in broad daylight.
    You may be right. But what does the opinion of the cops have to do with anything. They either have a case that they need evidence for or they don't. Even if they did have a case requiring the evidence I still think a photo of the gun along with the serial number and a sample bullet for ballistics should be more than sufficient. There is no need to disarm a law-abiding citizen.

Too many police departments will confiscate any and everything that they can including guns, cash, cars or land with no due process whatsoever just because they can. If you happen to have need to carry a significant sum of cash on your person during a traffic stop you may well find yourself minus the cash and your car. So for me it's just the very thought of the police seizing an individual's private property for no reason that I can't stomach.

If you're wondering why a person may need to carry significant sums of cash, allow me illustrate my situation back in the late 70s. During that time I sold some electronic items mail-order through advertisements in Popular Electronics magazine. I was nobody with no credit. My wholesale supplier was located in Chicago and the only way they would ship to me was CASH on delivery. Every week I would drive down to Nashville to the airport and pick up my shipment with anywhere from $7,000 to $15,000 in CASH. I was never stopped but I'm sure if a cop were to have stopped me and by some chance discovered the cash that I had it would've been gone even though it was for an entirely legal and legitimate purpose.

The statement "it's my property. I don't like people standing on my property without my permission" raised red flags for me. Sorry but I've got concerns

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    You may be right. But what does the opinion of the cops have to do with anything. They either have a case that they need evidence for or they don't. Even if they did have a case requiring the evidence I still think a photo of the gun along with the serial number and a sample bullet for ballistics should be more than sufficient. There is no need to disarm a law-abiding citizen.
    Didn't you read the other thread? The cops are trying to do their job keeping the public safe. Oh, but of course this man in a wheelchair doesn't count./sarcasm

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Powpig2002 View Post
    The statement "it's my property. I don't like people standing on my property without my permission" raised red flags for me. Sorry but I've got concerns
    Perhaps you have no earthly conception of how vulnerable the disabled are, how they feel. Hope you never have to find out.

In my career I've gone into 1,000's of yards to repair the power lines or check the system for problems. In all of these cases I've only had a weapon pulled on me twice.

Once the Homeowner was asleep when I rang the bell and since he didn't wake up right away (5 minutes) I went ahead and let myself into the back yard. He came out confronted me and I calmly explained why I was there. It was 3 am. He calmed down and let me finish. Even called my Supervisor the next day to explain the incident and thank me for my attitude.

The other incident I was on a pole at the request of "Collections Dept" to turn off the Power on the pole for an Agressive Non Pay Customer. He point a 30-30 at me and fired. Missed, but he got a nice visit from the Local PD and they made sure he understood the "Power of Egress".
    This young man made one mistale after another. But when he was told by the Police to go back inside the house while they talked to me he said, "NO and you can't make me". We they decided not to make him go into the house. They MADE him go into the Police Car and then MADE him go into a cell at the Pokey. He spent 3 months in their, UH, Hotel. He also got to pay for the dash board of the squad car he kicked to pieces during his ride to their Bed and Breakfast. Talk about not knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
    They were going to let him off on discharging a firearm AT ME within city limits. But he was able to change their minds.

No one in their right mind would walk into a strangers yard and when confronted attempt to draw a firearm.
    That's asking for a few extra nostrils in your body!

I call this shooting in Oklahoma a good shooting.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Links