Good but sad: Women defends against knife weilding home invader.

This is a discussion on Good but sad: Women defends against knife weilding home invader. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This women did pretty much everything right. She had her gun, S&W a 5 shot .32 revolver, in her hand when she answered the door ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Good but sad: Women defends against knife weilding home invader.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

This women did pretty much everything right. She had her gun, S&W a 5 shot .32 revolver, in her hand when she answered the door at 12:30 a.m. The threat claimed he needed assistance and forced his way in. He had a knife. She apparently fired 5 shots, hit him with three of them. His accomplice, since arrested, dragged him about 30' then fled. From the information presented in the article it looks like clear cut home defense. The Sherriff appeared to think that as well.

See:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...armed-intruder

I admire her for having the courage and the preparation to be able to do what she had to do to defend herself and her niece. The biggest crime, the real tragedy in my mind, is that home invader inflicting the burden of taking a life on that woman. I hope she is able to get some help learning to live with it. From the interview comments in the article, the community will be supportive. That's huge.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

That good that she came out on top. Also glad to hear that she has a supportive community. You don't always see that....

Go team!

Student of the gun (dot) com
    mano3 likes this.
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Good for her! Forcing your way into someone's house is hazardous to your health (with those who believe AND practice defensive carry)!
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I'm glad she and her family came out of it safe. I hope she doesn't suffer mentally over it.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

You do what you have to do to survive.....................IMO.

VIP Member
    Glad it worked out. We have a great opportunity for another caliber and capacity debate here, were we given to such discussions.
    DingBat, Pawatch and redmc like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    Good ending to a bad story. Very happy she has the support of her community.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I'm really glad she is safe but I think the lesson here is one we enforce in my house. Don't open the door for strangers, especially late at night.

Glad she's OK I'd say she proved the first rule firearms defense having a gun is more important than caliber or capacity.
    Aceoky likes this.

Another criminal rehabilitated. A community is safer. No cost to tax payers.
    ep1953, ccw9mm, DingBat and 3 others like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Impossible. No way a .32 could defend her. I've been told repeatedly that my .380 is "not enuf' gun" to do the job, so her .32 is certainly unable to do the job.
    Also, impossible since she wasn't "trained up" for it. No tactical stuff, no shoulder rolls into the living room, no neat "gear".

I guess it's a good thing she didn't know this stuff or she would have been killed. Poor thing, she only knew enough to buy a gun, and shoot 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I'm really glad she is safe but I think the lesson here is one we enforce in my house. Don't open the door for strangers, especially late at night.
    Agreed. If a stranger knocks on my door at that time of the morning I'm calling 911 and hoping he doesn't try to force his way in. I've got something for him if he does.

Best quote, IMO, from the article:

“Sounds like to me she did everything right,” said Willie Harris of Booth. ... “I think we need to pitch in and buy her another box of bullets.”
    Don't you just love it when neighbors support you?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Good for her! She did right. I hope the community really steps up support for her.

Tragic that she has to live with it, but wonderful that she gets to LIVE with it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Imagine that, dead at the scene and from a 32. more proof that shot placement is more important than caliber. That Wille Harris is an ok guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links