First IL CCW Defensive Gun Use

This is a discussion on First IL CCW Defensive Gun Use within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cops: No charges for man with concealed carry permit who fired at armed male - chicagotribune.com This looks like a pretty solid win for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: First IL CCW Defensive Gun Use

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar

Cops: No charges for man with concealed carry permit who fired at armed male - chicagotribune.com

This looks like a pretty solid win for the good guys. We would all hope for better marksmanship in a situation like this, but at least no bystanders were hurt and no property was damaged.
    Aceoky and OldVet like this.

Thumbs up for the homeowner but....what was the purpose of the last paragraph in the story? It seemed like the reporter was so desperately wanting to vent and couldn't control himself.

Distinguished Member
    Good outcome for a dangerous situation. Hope they catch the perps (doubtful).
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    Thumbs up for the homeowner but....what was the purpose of the last paragraph in the story? It seemed like the reporter was so desperately wanting to vent and couldn't control himself.
    I don't know the reporter, but I'm guessing they were just adding background on the new CCL system that was implemented. If the reporter had an axe to grind, I'm sure the Trib would have let him print a lot worse.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    [RANT] A tall male and a short male. Seriously? That's all they are broad casting? No better description possible? The perps don't need to stay awake looking over their shoulder. They just need to mingle where there are tall guys and short guys. How hard can it be? [/RANT]

I think the reporter is with holding information out of some misguided sense of political correctness.

The upside of this is that the victim didn't freeze and was able to stop the attack. I think one of the benefits of training is that it gives response that can over ride the instinct to freeze or get wrapped in a loop trying to answer meaningless questions like, "Why is this happening to me?" In this case the guy drew his gun and stopped the attack. It worked. I think he's lucky the bullets that missed the threat didn't hit something else important, but apparently they didn't.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Another case of political correctness:

... The man was walking from his garage to the front of his home when two males in hoodies appeared in a gangway between his home and the neighbor's home, Sullivan said.

One of the two men pulled a handgun from his waistband and pointed at the man who took out his own gun and managed to fire several times at the males, Sullivan said.

The males fled the area without being struck and the shooting did not result in any property damage, police said.

The man is not facing charges as police search for the two males, described as a tall male and a short male. Those two face charges.
    What a great example of the physical descriptions that are now allowed in our (read - Chicago's) society.

Exactly who are citizens supposed to be on the lookout for, a tall male and a short male? Well I sure pity any two gentlemen of varyinng size that happen to be seen in Chicago together!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Do you have to get a permit to have a gun in your own home in chicago?

We have to have a FOID card which I guess is kind of like a permit. It is different from our CCL, though.
    Aceoky likes this.

While it is a shame that he wasn't a good enough shot to reduce the Chicago thug population by two, it's great to see the Illinois CC law working as intended.

The way the story was written (especially the last paragraph) you can almost feel the despair & disbelief of the authors. I can just hear them repeating to themselves over and over ... He wasn't charged ?? ... He wasn't charged ?? ... Does not compute ... Does not compute
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Everyone be sure to be on the lookout for these two armed felons. Here's their description if it will help.
    Quote:
    Police search for the two males, described as a tall male and a short male.
    :Unquote

Can they put any more effort in protecting the identity of these two dangerous men?
    Sounds like a good start to educating the Law Abiding Citizens that it's a good day when you can stop the bad guys!

BTY, I was in Chicago last week and had an interesting conversation with my Brother in Law. A long time Cook County Illinois resident. He asked if it were true that most Texans carried concealed handguns. To which I replied, "OF Course it's true. Probably about 80% of the Texans you'll meet in Texas are armed." His eyes got real big in disbelief and he responded, "Is crime so bad in Texas you have to all be armed? What are you People afraid of???"

To which I said, "Not a darn thing!!!! We are all armed, and the smart Criminals know we'll shoot them, so they all moved to Chicago."

He couldn't believe that we all thought of handguns as simple tools like a Pocket Knife!
    An odd fact, My Brother in Law doesn't even own a simple finger nail cleaning pocket knife.

Guess what I'm going to get him for him upcoming birthday????

I told him to come visit us in Texas and we'll throw a brisket in the smoker and shoot some cans in the back yard.
    (I live in the Country so my neighbors are used to being able to fire off their guns on their own property. Heck sometimes we all get together and murder some empty Dr Pepper Cans.) (And shoot fireworks without permits too!!!!)

He got all excited!

Sorry but some of their (Illinois) logic doesn't make sense to me. I guess it's because here in Texas when we call the Cops to respond to Burglary or Robbery, it's usually to tell them how much chalk to bring!!!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Distinguished Member
    Good outcome and just think what would have happened if the gentleman didn't have a CCL
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    We have to have a FOID card which I guess is kind of like a permit. It is different from our CCL, though.
    In the past I went to a few Illinois gun stores when working there. They would not even let me touch a gun without first showing them a FOID card (which I didn't have because I was a Wisconsin resident). From what I've been told you also need a FOID card to buy ammo. Amazing. But, at least they have CCL now!

Those gun shops were wrong. As an out of stater you should have been able to show your WI drivers license to buy ammo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    Having to get (pay for) a FOID is the height of bravo sierra in my book.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

It's not much more than a minor annoyance to me. I've lived with it all my life and it's all I've ever known. I don't have strong opinions on it one way or another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links