Pinned man shoots car thief! - Page 2

Pinned man shoots car thief!

This is a discussion on Pinned man shoots car thief! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Janq I'd bet a years worth of lunch that if his family were asked to choose between dad and _any_ car....they would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinned man shoots car thief!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I'd bet a years worth of lunch that if his family were asked to choose between dad and _any_ car....they would choose dad all day long.
    Yes. And that's as simple as it is, for everyone in the family except the one who actually was dissed, offended and otherwise had to look down the "barrel" of the crime being committed. There's a time and a place for everything. And risk to all actions. Charging into a situation is fine, for the sheer effrontery being given by the BG, but if you end up dead there's little point to it all. Moral: not all situations require a hands-on, in-your-face use of force, particularly those that could easily spiral to a death.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Hey Janq,

I could use another vehicle and you're all insured up and all, and since I know you won’t shoot me... what did you say your address was?
    I cannot be the only person in this thread who insures his vehicle(s) be they new, used, paid off, or antique/classic, sentimental value, or whatever. One of my cars is a long ago paid off 13 yr. old Subaru Legacy with full insurance that only costs me ~ $100 more to insure full versus collisiononly, and this is in MA (!). A hundred bucks is a case of ammo, three tanks of SUV gas (my other vehicle), ten movies over the course of a year...and not much at all relative to the cost of replacement out of pocket.

More over my life and well being is worth a whole lot more than any car regardless of it's 'value'.
    No I wouldn't feel good about watching my car being stolen and driven down the street. I'd feel even worst being laid up in a hospital with a crushed pelvis upon being run over, with my own car, or worst being shot at all never mind to death over an otherwise relatively easy to repair or replace vehicle. My family and I are most sentimental about my skin even as we really like our cars.

YMMV

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

To those who wouldn't take a stand against a thief...

No one here will argue that a life is more valuble than anything. What I think most of us believe however, is that priciples are worth fighting for. Yes there are other ways of handleing the theft that are non-confrontational, but they don't send the message to thieves that we will not put up with that behavior. Here in NC we are able to use appropriate force to stop a crime such as theft. It is for each person to decide what to do.

Now before we hear about escalation of force...remember we didn't start the situation. The bad guy did, and where it goes from there is up to you, but you are not responsible for starting it.

Wake up and realize that we have been deprogrammed from the laws of nature. Just watch the animal planet station on tv and you will see that you have to fight for survival just like any other creature on this planet. So what if our quality of life is better, or that we have lots of material things. They are part of your life and you have the natural right to keep them. You just have to fight for it, if you wish to do so.

I know that confrontation and fighting are part of life. Life isn't fair either so you will lose at some point. That could mean your pride gets hurt or that you die. I'd rather lose or die know that I tried to do the right thing. If more people thought like this, then the few times that someone did die, the families would still make it. They would have the support of society and family to continue their lives.

I would have confronted, and followed the theif. I would not make it easy for them to get away. If they used deadly force against me, I would use equal force. If they ran, thats ok too. There is no reason not to follow and let police know where they can pick up the bad guy.

Of course, I might be the only one who thinks this way. I can live with that.
    Last edited by PuNacMC; January 10th, 2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes. And that's as simple as it is, for everyone in the family except the one who actually was dissed, offended and otherwise had to look down the "barrel" of the crime being committed. There's a time and a place for everything. And risk to all actions....
    Agreed, emphatically.

I can live with being dissed or offended, at a distance.
    The gent here lookis out of his window sees the person stealing his car. Yes thats just wrong, totally wrong...of the thief/BG.
    But to then decide to run out and place ones 200lb. body, more or less, in front of that of a ~3K lb. vehicle cum weapon due to sentimentality and feelings of being offended...(?).
    I'm not that guy. I'll diall 911 instead and try to be the best witness I can be rather than risk being run into or over.
    Definitely there is a time and a place for everything.
    The guy is very fortunate that the thief did not decide to floor the gas and run him over and through the fence or to run the car broadside along his body as he was pinned against the fence. Instead he choose to reverse out upon being fired on, requiring more work, as opposed to simply flooring the gas as he was already in a forward movement gear/drive.

It would be a totally different story if the guy had been outside and near his car to start (say unloading groceries or something) only to have the thief suddenly & quickly jump into his car and attempt to drive it away running into the victim on the way out pinning him against the fence as reported. Then in a case like that then of course defending ones self with lethal force is called for andappropriate. In that scenario one would have had literally zero choice at all otherwise, totally unlike the situation as it actually played out here.

The real risk of being gravely injured or even killed is much greater than the reward of retaining the value of an automobile, even as it might be a personal matter of "principle".
    I have an expectation and responsibility to be there for my family, specifically my wife and kids, and that principle supersedes all other principles including sentimentality toward an insured and relatively easy to repair/replace vehicle.
    If I weren't married with children then maybe I'd feel differently about it for myself personally, and if the victim were same I'd likely be much less surprised.

- Janq

P.S.
    I found a news report featuring a pic of the Cadillac and it was not a classic or antique of some sort...

http://www.krqe.com/expanded.asp?ID=19020
    Last edited by Janq; January 10th, 2007 at 06:10 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    That's too bad. Wish the homeowner had had the opportunity to take a better-aimed shot.
    +1 again.

"Some of us, myself included, have to work awfully hard for what we have. It is difficult to see the possessions that we've labored to acquire taken from us by people that don't know the value of hard work. If I had money bags waiting to be emptied on a whim then perhaps I'd have an alternate perspective on defense of property. Only I don't."

I agree with Moga up to a point...

I believe a thief is about the lowest form of human life. If someone steals from me, be it a car or a paperclip, I have no problem hunting down the ******* and shooting him.

Unfortunately, the courts don't seem to agree.

So, I guess I'd have to say I hunted him down and he threatened my life so that's why I shot his ass...

Quote Originally Posted by PuNacMC View Post
    To those who wouldn't take a stand against a thief...

No one here will argue that a life is more valuble than anything. What I think most of us believe however, is that priciples are worth fighting for. Yes there are other ways of handleing the theft that are non-confrontational, but they don't send the message to thieves that we will not put up with that behavior. Here in NC we are able to use appropriate force to stop a crime such as theft. It is for each person to decide what to do.

Now before we hear about escalation of force...remember we didn't start the situation. The bad guy did, and where it goes from there is up to you, but you are not responsible for starting it.

Wake up and realize that we have been deprogrammed from the laws of nature. Just watch the animal planet station on tv and you will see that you have to fight for survival just like any other creature on this planet. So what if our quality of life is better, or that we have lots of material things. They are part of your life and you have the natural right to keep them. You just have to fight for it, if you wish to do so.

I know that confrontation and fighting are part of life. Life isn't fair either so you will lose at some point. That could mean your pride gets hurt or that you die. I'd rather lose or die know that I tried to do the right thing. If more people thought like this, then the few times that someone did die, the families would still make it. They would have the support of society and family to continue their lives.

I would have confronted, and followed the theif. I would not make it easy for them to get away. If they used deadly force against me, I would use equal force. If they ran, thats ok too. There is no reason not to follow and let police know where they can pick up the bad guy.

Of course, I might be the only one who thinks this way. I can live with that.
    Agree totally.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    More over my life and well being is worth a whole lot more than any car regardless of it's 'value'.
    No I wouldn't feel good about watching my car being stolen and driven down the street. I'd feel even worst being laid up in a hospital with a crushed pelvis upon being run over, with my own car, or worst being shot at all never mind to death over an otherwise relatively easy to repair or replace vehicle. My family and I are most sentimental about my skin even as we really like our cars.

YMMV

- Janq
    +1 Janq, I totally agree. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to yank your chain a little!

I think most of us would want to grab a gun and run out the door and stop the thief but this thread has reminded me to think first! These “nut bags” running around stealing people’s stuff have no regard for human life and wouldn’t hesitate to kill you just to keep from being caught. Good thread!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

:p

- Janq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links