Sometimes you don't need a gun...........

This is a discussion on Sometimes you don't need a gun........... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...d.9ac1bc3.html Homeowner takes burglar's weapon, uses it to pound him ......A Red Bird-area homeowner turned the tables on a gun-toting burglar Wednesday night, taking the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you don't need a gun...........

VIP Member

Sometimes you don't need a gun...........

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...d.9ac1bc3.html

Homeowner takes burglar's weapon, uses it to pound him

......A Red Bird-area homeowner turned the tables on a gun-toting burglar Wednesday night, taking the weapon away from him and beating him up with it.......

.... "When the police got him, he wasn't able to talk," said Steven Flowers, a neighbor whose home was also burglarized. "He got beat bad. I wish it had been me [who delivered the beating]. I would have done the same thing."......

.... When police arrived, they found the unconscious burglar in a pool of blood on the hallway floor.....
    This was a repeat offender, who was out on bail............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Good for the homeowner! Now maybe he will carry his own gun instead of relying on the bad guy to bring him one.

Too bad the Bad Guy will survive though....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No Mercy...

This BG was out on bond for the same thing (which is sadly the case...many times). Really learned a lot fromt he courts, eh? I'll bet he learned something from the last home owner though...too bad it was a 'permanent' learning experience!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    A proper result, this time with the added bonus of poetic justice.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    That's why I carry a 1911. I don't want a combat tupperware pistol that could fall apart if I have to beat the guy
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Talk about "Hammer Bite"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    Good for the homeowner! Now maybe he will carry his own gun instead of relying on the bad guy to bring him one.

Too bad the Bad Guy will survive though....
    Seriously.

I have to wonder why someone would BEAT the guy instead of just SHOOTING him. Maybe the gun wasn't loaded? Maybe he tried to shoot him but couldn't?

Anyway, wouldn't you think that now some jerk D.A. could exercise the option of prosecuting the defender, claiming that he didn't have to beat the burglar so brutally just to stop the crime from being committed? I can easily see that happening.

I mean, it's easy to understand that if someone comes at you with a gun, and you wrest it from him, you might well have to shoot him because, well, you can't let him approach you to take the gun back, because then you're back to square one, and this time might well be shot dead.

But beating the guy unconscious with the gun? Hey, I'm in line to cheer for this guy too, but I think he exercised the wrong option that was open to him. I fully understand the gratification he must've gotten from beating the scumbag, but he should've shot him. Who needs this P.O.S. draining public resources with medical attention and incarceration?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    That's why I carry a 1911. I don't want a combat tupperware pistol that could fall apart if I have to beat the guy
    What a strange place for Glock-bashing to show up!

Be careful if you beat someone with your 1911... Next thing you know, it'll fail to feed every third round, or won't eject properly, or...

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    That's not Glock Bashing, this is:
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    That's not Glock Bashing, this is:
    That's is really funny!!

Tim

The BG had to steal so he could pay the bailbond man back. Come on people, posting bond is expensive.

Oh well, next week when he is walking the streets again, he will hopefully get what is coming to him.

50 Bucks says that the guy who beat the crap out of him is carrying a loaded handgun on his person right now.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Shoot him or beat him?

We don't know enough details to criticize the guy for beating him instead of shooting him. To take the weapon from the BG means that they may have been grappling at that point. If so, it is plausible that the GG, even if he's familiar with handguns, could not get a firing grip on the gun and beating him with it was the only option he had.

I also fail to see what's wrong with beating him into unconsciousness. He may have taken several blows without giving up. The BG was in a fight for his life at this point too, so he may not give up easily. Unconsciousness may have been the only thing that caused him to stop the fight.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Distinguished Member
    Well, there is a precedence for beating the living tar out of them with your weapon vice shooting them. Wyatt Earp rarely, if ever, shot anyone, but he beat many a man unmercefully with his buntline.

As for second guessing, the BG may of had a malfunction or even an unloaded weapon and the citizen used it like the hammer it was on the BG.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Ahh pistol whipping, haven't done that in a long time.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    From this side of the computer, that's a funny story. I can see the homeowner now... "Gimme that thing" <swipes the gun> "C'Mere you punk! I'm going to beat you senseless!"
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links