Home Invasion Ends In Deadly Shooting (AZ)

Home Invasion Ends In Deadly Shooting (AZ)

This is a discussion on Home Invasion Ends In Deadly Shooting (AZ) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A South Tucson man took action when six men with guns raided his home. That man says he fired in self-defense when six men stormed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasion Ends In Deadly Shooting (AZ)

Lightbulb Home Invasion Ends In Deadly Shooting (AZ)

A South Tucson man took action when six men with guns raided his home. That man says he fired in self-defense when six men stormed into his home.

The home invasion happened Tuesday night just before 11 p.m. at a home on west Valencia Road.

A 23-year-old living inside heard the commotion and shot two of the men.

One died. The other is in critical condition. No one else was hurt.

Authorities say it happened very quickly and in the end, one man was dead, another in the hospital and two more in jail.

Meanwhile, the man who fired the deadly shots says he acted in self-defense and feels bad it ended the way it did.

One neighbor said, "I did hear a little bit of screaming but no gunshots."

Another said, "More cops started coming, then I figured this must be something then an ambulance came."

The family who lives here told me six men barged into their home wearing hoods and forced them to the ground with guns including an 8-year-old boy.

Sgt. James Ogden of the Pima County Sheriff's Department said, "You can tell it's a very violent aggressive person that's going to kick someone's door open and hold them at gunpoint."

Sheriff's deputies say the gunmen then made their way to a bedroom.

Inside, a 23-year-old man who had just gone to bed and heard the screaming, reached for and loaded his 12-gauge shotgun.

He fired twice, killing one of the men and injuring another. Deputies say that's when the men took off.

Ogden said, "They grabbed the wounded and left the gentlemen that was dying there."

Sheriff's deputies say two of the armed men were Philip Valencia and Carlos Alcarez.

They are now in custody.

News 4 spoke with the man who lives inside of the home.

He tells me he reacted and was forced to shoot the two perpetrators.

He tells me it's a decision he had to make in the heat of the moment, and one that he'll have to live with for the rest of his life.

Ogden said, "We don't advise that you reach for a gun, but then again every circumstance is different. You're going to do what you have to do."

The deputies found the home invasion suspects after the five went to a nearby home where they called 911.

Deputies showed up and found the wounded man, questioned the four others, made two arrests and let the other two go.

The man shot and killed has been identified as 32-year-old Anthony Amavisca.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Ogden said, "We don't advise that you reach for a gun, but then again every circumstance is different. You're going to do what you have to do."
    Well - the famous and predictable comment - but slightly tempred I guess for a change.

Well the guy had little choice at all did he! If he had not responded I dread to consider what mayhem might have ensued. Good for him tho obviously he has to cope with the trauma of what he had to do.

The outcome can but me imagined had it played out without his actions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ogden said, "They grabbed the wounded and left the gentlemen that was dying there."
    So, if I kick down someones door with a ski mask and gun, I'm a gentleman?

Well, at least no good guys were hurt. They probably should have made more than two arrests, but whatever.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Quite possibly the most Ogden could say and stay within the politically-correct limits established by higher-ups? Frankly, that he even said this may bode well for changing attitudes in "political" law enforcement higher-ups (or at least recognition that victim disarmament [aka "gun control"] is a political loser).

I'm glad the victims were safe.

Obviously the guy with the shotgun did a good job and made sure the family came out of this all right.

The reaction of the bad guys is very telling. Six guys, armed with guns and willing to use violence break into the house and hold the family at gunpoint. They're confronted by one man with a shotgun, who demonstrates his marksmanship and willingness to use it. They turn tail and run despite a 4 or 5 to 1 advantage (depending on how bad the wounded guy was hurt). I guess bullying unarmed eight year olds is easier than facing up to someone willing and able to use deadly force.

That situation could have turned out worse if the other two men that had the child at gunpoint decided to shoot the child in reaction to the first gun shot. The guy with the shotgun did not seem (acording to the article) that the others had him down on the floor.

It would have been a sad day had this gone the other way and the boy be hurt or dead.. But thats always a possiblity with a fast paced home invasion like that.

Definitly something to think about...
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I say bravo to the young man who took action to defend his household and probably his family (or friends?) too!

As for "We don't advise that you reach for a gun...." Newsflash, Chief: if I've got a shotgun in my room, and someone's forcing their way into my home and threatening my loved ones, I'm shooting.

I agree about the "gentlemen." Excuse me? Gentlemen don't kick in doors and wave guns around and invade other people's homes. Just call them what they are (or were, ha ha ha!): scumbags.
    seattlekos
    "Live free or die." -- NH State Motto

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    More things like this will lead to less crime.

Way to go, 23-year old.

The article doesn't say if his shotgun was a SXS or over/under. If so, the BG's got off real easy.....

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Sgt. James Ogden of the Pima County Sheriff's Department said, "You can tell it's a very violent aggressive person that's going to kick someone's door open and hold them at gunpoint."
    No kidding?
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

All I can say is GOOD SHOT. The 23 year old could have hesitated and there could have been a different outcome.A very sad one. Im glad it came out ok.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Well - the famous and predictable comment - but slightly tempred I guess for a change.

Yes, I read that comment and found myself wondering, how long will it be before the cops can really no longer in good conscience say, "We don't advise you to resist, just go along with what the attackers want and you won't get hurt"?

I mean, we here have been commenting on the growing prevalence of the "leave no witnesses" type of crimes that are becoming more common. It has to reach a point where, if the trend continues, and more cooperative victims keep getting shot in spite of cooperating, that the cops should be condemned if they say anything other than, "Fight back as hard as you can, as lethally as you can, because your life depends on it! Stop trusting robbers to be good people who won't hurt you!"

I am curious how the guy was able to grab AND LOAD his shotgun when he was alarmed by six men armed with guns bursting into his residence... I wish I were that fast at loading a shotgun, or any other gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Obviously the guy with the shotgun did a good job and made sure the family came out of this all right.

The reaction of the bad guys is very telling. Six guys, armed with guns and willing to use violence break into the house and hold the family at gunpoint. They're confronted by one man with a shotgun, who demonstrates his marksmanship and willingness to use it. They turn tail and run despite a 4 or 5 to 1 advantage (depending on how bad the wounded guy was hurt). I guess bullying unarmed eight year olds is easier than facing up to someone willing and able to use deadly force.
    The explanation may end up taking the form of "the bad guys were armed only with pellet or airsoft guns," and then the home defender will be cast as a heartless murderer who took the life of a "kid" who was "turning his life around, always had a smile for everyone, and was an honor student (meaning he turned out solid C pluses)..."

The 23 year old didn't know

The story says that the 23 year old was in a bedroom going to sleep. He heard the noise in the outer room, loaded his gun and, when the BG's ran into his room he shot. Sounds like he didn't know how many there were or that they had the eight year old. We was defending his own life when they came in the room. Bravo for the defender - too bad he couldn't have inflicted lead poisoning on all six of the "gentlemen".
    When a criminal busts down your door in the middle of the night, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a phone?

When a thug shoves a gun in your face in the mall parking lot, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a cellphone?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    It has to reach a point where, if the trend continues, and more cooperative victims keep getting shot in spite of cooperating, that the cops should be condemned if they say anything other than, "Fight back as hard as you can, as lethally as you can, because your life depends on it! Stop trusting robbers to be good people who won't hurt you!"
    One would think so.

Cannibal laws, and the reality they cause. Promotion of or engagement in vigilantiism (so say the PC types) isn't looked highly upon. Until the laws change drastically and the message out there becomes common enough for Grand Jury staffers (ie, our "peers" in the box), we'll continue to get these wishy-washy statements from law enforcement ... and a confused populace. In the end, it's going to come down to people removing their upper thingies from their lower thingies and deciding what's most rational for their own family's protection, 'cause the laws themselves aren't going to change anytime soon.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't see what relevance "vigilantism" has to this subject, though.
    We know it is legal to meet deadly force with deadly force. There's no ambiguity in the law, there.

What I'm talking about is for law enforcement mouthpieces to finally STOP TELLING US THAT IT'S DANGEROUS TO FIGHT BACK, when the reality is, it's becoming more and more dangerous to TRUST THE BAD GUY that once you capitulate everything he demands, he won't then just KILL you.

No changes in any laws need take place. Just changes in what people say (i.e. cops and politicians), and what the public believes it should do to get us out from under what honestly feels like an unbridled crime wave going on in this country (and, really, throughout the world, lately).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links