Score another one for the good guys

This is a discussion on Score another one for the good guys within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/1/8/213326.html...

Thread: Score another one for the good guys

Score another one for the good guys

Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

2. Remove Ads

Bluesteel , I am local to this story too . I have emailed wfts.com , wtvt.com amd tampabay10.com to ask why this story was getting no coverage from them when little ole Baynews9 was reporting it . Believe it or not i got a call back within 10 minute of the email from Fox and was informed they are interviewing the homeowner as we spoke , And the full story would be reported when the interview with the homeowner was complete .

I thanked them very much for the response , and i looked forward to their report . These stories dont usually get the coverage they deserve , So i was glad to see a success story getting coverage .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Good show: Maybe we will see it on Fox News tonight. With all the anti gun rhetoric on TV news it's nice to see something positive on the tube. Most viewers probably only think B guys use guns.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Why is the article titled as such?
    What was he supposed to do, dial 911 and pray the ambulance shows up in time to get him to the ER for emergency surgery?! Was he supposed to beg for mercy from the home invaders and hope that they would just knock him in the head and not leave any lasting physical damage?!

The way the title reads it makes it gives off a sense of vigilanteism or as though the homeowner did something wrong.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The way the title reads it makes it gives off a sense of vigilanteism or as though the homeowner did something wrong.- Janq
    You're right about that. I suppose if there is no way to put a bad spin on a story, they can give it a bad title.

speedlinehobbies, you'll have to let us know how the news report turns out.

Glad he didn't have to beat the kid senseless like the other recent homeowner. It's much more labor intensive that way. Since it sounds like the BG will survive, I hope he takes the lesson to heart and does an about face.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Maybe a little pressure pays off !
    wfts.com one of the email's i sent this morning is now reporting on the same story

http://wfts.com/stories/2007/01/0701...invasion.shtml
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Definitely don't like the title of the story. Makes the victim sound like a vigilante.

I see no problem with the title...it is accurate. He handled it himself. You can read into that in a positive or negative way. I choose positive.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    I see no problem with the title...it is accurate. He handled it himself. You can read into that in a positive or negative way. I choose positive.
    And thats the rub, Joe & Jane Average will read it as being negative....especially those who are not pro-gun or pro-CCW/self defense.

The title if written purely on fact without subtext would and should read; 'Clearwater homeowner shoots one of two home invaders'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    The first article title is a bit on the anti defend yourself slant, IMO, but the second one seemed to be right on.

Congrats to the home owner, he's probably right, he'll have a lot of questions to answer.

One thing I don't get
    The youth was treated at the scene by Clearwater Fire Department paramedics before being flown to Bayfront Medical Center. His injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.
    If the injuries were not life threatening, why the expense of a med-flight. I'm not saying the kids life isn't worth trying to save, but that seems a bit excesive.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    One thing this story clearly illustrates is the need to have your weapon readily accessible!
    Id hate to think what the outcome might have been.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Red face

I like the dumb ass neighbor telling EVERYONE watching that he is at work in the evenings (translation: come on over and rob this house, I'm not here to shoot you) and worries about getting robbed

At least they didn't call the punk felon the "victim"...

Links