Ohio Lawyer in Trouble for "Using" Rifle

This is a discussion on Ohio Lawyer in Trouble for "Using" Rifle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, here is a little more info for y'all to digest. Indian Hill is the richest subdivision in the area, and one of the richest ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohio Lawyer in Trouble for "Using" Rifle

Well, here is a little more info for y'all to digest. Indian Hill is the richest subdivision in the area, and one of the richest in the state. When I deliver building materials over summers, we usually do a couple deliveries a week, 5-10 million dollar house and above are not at all uncommon. So, all the crooks already know that there is tons of expensive stuff around the area.

I know if I chased someone off my property with a rifle for a misdemeanor, I would go to jail. This guy probably won't. But I can't really condemn his actions, because I would be thinking of doing the same thing, in the moment it would be hard not to.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

sounds like more people shouldve voted for this guy

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    sounds like alot of you would have let the perp retreat with the option to return later with improved weaponry...
    What "weaponry"?

Three drunk kids were in a car that side swiped his fence as they were drunk driving along the road he lived on.
    It happens.

They never attemtped to gain entry to his home, trespass further on his land, or any other such criminal effort.
    The driver, who was the only one charged, simply zigged when he should of zagged to avoid hitting the guys wooden post fencing.

Lets not make it into more than what it actually is or was.
    Even if it was a case of them trying to gain entry to his home or some such major crime effort, then going after three unknowns with unknown armament in the dark of night (their tactical advantage which he should have known as fact considering his cited recent training & experience) alone with even a phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range is risky to say the least relative to staying with his family, watching over the home from within the home, and awaiting the police to do the policing.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

you have every right to roll over and go back to sleep. im just saying, if someone destroys my property and takes off, dont expect everyone to be as forgiving as you are.

lets not assume things are necessarily less than what they actually are, either.

Three drunk kids were in a car that side swiped his fence as they were drunk driving along the road he lived on.
    It happens.
    wow...guess my perspective of right and wrong here is way off...

BriansMech,

I'm not forgiving...I'd be pissed.

At the same tme my thoughts are and would be toward me and mine, first and foremost. Are my kids okay and safe. Is my wife okay and safe. Where is the dog?
    They are numbers one, two and three.

Vengeance for being trespassed upon falls far below them.

His auto or my home insurance underwrite can mend a broken fence no problem. I'll bet same applies to your own insurer.
    I'm not going to jail or worst get shot over something stupid like a busted fence thanks to a drunk driver who I later chase down and he and/or his accomplices decide to not comply and fight.
    No thanks, I'll leave the police work and attendant risk to the police...who themselves have a difficult enough time with as much effort and they are wearing cop clothes not a housecoat.

No, my butt stays home with mine as I keep watch from the upstairs windows and await 911 to ring my doorbell for taking of names & numbers.
    Besides my wife would be pissed and my kids really really sad if dad got shot/beat/killed, over an otherwise easily fixable fence, or tossed into jail and their school money drained upon being renamed 'Daddy's Defense Fund'.

Personally I can live with a busted fence, 911 doing the detective work, and moving on with life.
    Vengeance comes with a cost and there is no free lunch.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You guys are crazy. Chasing any non-violent person or people with an assault rifle will and probably should get you thrown in jail. Following them is one thing. Following them while armed is another. But following the and detaining them at the point of a rifle is idiotic.

If he was forced to shoot someone, HE would be the one going to jail. I am not aware of any state in the country that would allow you to chase a car that knocked over your mailbox, force people out of the car, and shoot them while calling it self defence.

I carry to protect me and my family. I call the police to arrest people.

Call me a wimp if you like. I call it wise.

im not advocating vengeance/vigilantism, lemme apologize if that was/is inferred.

however, if given the opportunity to follow and help the police locate to apprehend, witness any further damage, file complaint to ensure others future safety, and in any other way do what i consider civic duty when fate, god, or whatever you wanna call it causes paths to cross, i'd do so.

i'd do so armed, because there is no knowing the status of the vehicles occupants and their possible reactions. three young males out late at night causing mischief? i've gota assume they may not draw the line at simple vandalism.

i respect yours, and others decisions not to place themselves in harms way. i wouldnt presume to criticize someone for setting their boundaries at their property lines. i can in no way fault someone for staying with their family, putting them and theirs first. its a completely honest and wise choice.

but i served this country once in uniform, and just because i've given that up, doesnt mean i don't still have this mentality of watching out for my neighbors. thats just me. im fully aware that most of the people in my neighborhood would stand at their property lines, maybe with 911 on the line, and do nothing else. i'd go so far as to admitting that in the line of self preservation, thats the wisest thing to do. unfortunately, self preservation isnt my forte

the timeline doesnt work out for me.

car hits fence.
    homeowner has time to get AR, car keys, dressed, go out to car, get into car, start car, pull out and get behind first car.
    first car stops and drunk kids are removed from endangering others that night.

what's goin on for that time between them crashing thru the fence into that guys lawn?

in my neighborhood, several months ago, some teens, drunk, started driving thru lawns, throwing dirt and grass, hitting mailboxes and lawn gnomes, etc. no lights on. it was a weekend night. thankfully, no one was out, no one got hurt.

a few homeowners came out and yelled at them, along the lines of that theyve called the police. the teens yelled obscenitys back as they tore out of the neighborhood, taking the opportunity to smack a few more mailboxes on the way out.

the cars are generic, the homeowners argue over the color, and the lights arent on, so license plates arent visible.

but the possibility of them losing control and crashing into a window where someone was looking out to see whats going on, or a bedroom where someone of any age could be trying to sleep was quite high.

three weeks later, they did it again. i've learned they did it in a few neighborhoods around here, now. they obviously arent going to do this with any police cruisers around, but what else will stop them?

im guessing they do this for about 10 minutes, then split the scene. im thinking its becoming some sort of fad, like mailbox baseball on steroids. im damn sure someone will get hurt if they're not stopped.

5-10 minutes would be about what i figure it would take me to get up, semi dressed, armed, find keys, and pull out of the driveway - a good catalyst i'd imagine for them to run. with cell phone in hand, i'd follow them. if they realize the gig is up, i'd imagine they'd pull over, maybe after talking to each other about "beatin up the old geezer following us, and taking off again" (they did find brass knuckles on the kid, btw. what were they for, if they're just kids? my kids sure as hell don't own brass knuckles). i'd be happy for anything above and beyond the cell phone right then.

statistics prove kids 18-24 are the ones most prone to violent crimes on others.

anyway, i live way in the back , i imagine they're smart enough to know they need to stay close to the subdivisions exit or they could get trapped, i guess, but i've not yet had the privilege of actually witnessing this, though i do do crimewatch walks.

we dont know the whole story, and my remarks are based on my experiences and current events in my area. judging by some of your other posts, im betting you'd act similarly in similar circumstances.

He could have got a tag number and let the cops handle it.

Well, this thread hasn't been touched in a couple of days, but there was an update in the paper, so I'll post it:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/301190017

No charges filed against him. I'm glad for him, but wonder if it would have been the same for any of us.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Knowing IHR very well and of Hackett, I doubt anything will come of this.

He was wrong in doing what he did, but those things have a funny way of disappearing in Indian Hill.
    See...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes SIXTO, I know you were right. But I posted it for other people too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    I know, I'm just bustin your chops
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links