Ohio Lawyer in Trouble for "Using" Rifle

This is a discussion on Ohio Lawyer in Trouble for "Using" Rifle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/701100339 Thought I would put this up here and see what types of responses it gets. This guy is a pretty wealthy lawyer in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Lawyer in Trouble for "Using" Rifle

Ohio Lawyer in Trouble for "Using" Rifle

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/701100339

Thought I would put this up here and see what types of responses it gets. This guy is a pretty wealthy lawyer in the Cincinnati area (anyone who knows about Indian Hill knows that), he lost in the last Congressional race. One thing that isn't entirely clear from the article is that he is in the Marine Reserves, and did volunteer for duty in Iraq. Apparently he did see some convoy bombings and other action too. Under Ohio law, he can not use deadly force to protect property. So running out with a ready to rock AR-15 is in iffy issue. He says he didn't point it at anyone or unsafety it, so I'm not even sure. Although I guess it could be considered escalating the situation. Any thoughts?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I dont see a problem with going out into your yard with a rifle , It is legal in most states . As far as leaving your own property to persue somebody , That a whole different story!

I know one thing for sure , These armed thugs will avoid this nieghborhood from now on !!
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Shouldn't have gone after them, armed or not.

Hope it all works out OK for him. Hopefully his political connections (and positive publicity) can make it go away.

Man, if it were you or me, though.....

Administrator
    Knowing IHR very well and of Hackett, I doubt anything will come of this.

He was wrong in doing what he did, but those things have a funny way of disappearing in Indian Hill.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Reading, it sounds like he pursued these guys to a different residence. Why the hell would he do that? He didn't know who they were, if they were on anything, or how they might react to a guy showing up at their house with an AR. I can understand being late at night and not thinking clearly.... but c'mon... if he's going to follow them, just bring the cell phone and call the cops while you follow the liquid trail.

Questionable... for sure.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

There are so many wrong moves he made it's silly.
    Hackett should be charged with assault, like anyone else more average who might try this at home.

Quote Originally Posted by The Enquirer article
    Moore said Hackett was woken up by "criminal activity" and "took affirmative action to protect his wife and family from an unknown disturbance at his house." He then "attempted to bring the perpetrators to justice who had fled from the scene," according to Moore.
    The only real crime the driver committed was leaving the scene of an accident and destruction of property (the fence).
    Items like this make us otherwise lawful gun owners look bad and it's no wonder antis think of us gun owners as being cowboys. :|
    Next tme Mr. Hackett should act responsibly & lawfully and stay inside with his family, whilst armed, and call in for the cavalry to secure the zone and leave it to their detectives to detect stuff and track folks down.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Hackett was woken up by "criminal activity" and "took affirmative action to protect his wife and family from an unknown disturbance at his house."
    EXACTLY.

He went out to investigate a disturbance. He had every right to arm himself on his own property, to assure his safety and that of his family while he did so.

Should he have gone out unarmed, and then had to retreat back to get a gun if it turned out his home was being invaded?

I say, good on him.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    EXACTLY.

He went out to investigate a disturbance. He had every right to arm himself on his own property, to assure his safety and that of his family while he did so.

Should he have gone out unarmed, and then had to retreat back to get a gun if it turned out his home was being invaded?

I say, good on him.
    I tend to agree with this more than I normally would, due to Hacketts recent training and experiance in Iraq. However, I think he crossed into a gray area once he left his front yard.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    EXACTLY.

I say, good on him.
    +1, Jeffrey.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Sounds like some old fashioned look-after-your-neighborhood action in the finest sense of "citizen militia". Give him a medal!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like he did o.k. till he pursued em off his property. Atleast , holding em at gunpoint. (if he did) following and reporting would have been a better action , if done safely, if their only crime was property damage.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    From what I read he made far too many mistakes. There is no way I would have left my family. While I obviously agree with protecting my family as well as property. When you leave your home and starting running through the neighborhood with an AR cocked and locked you have clearly gone native.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    From what I read he made far too many mistakes. There is no way I would have left my family. While I obviously agree with protecting my family as well as property. When you leave your home and starting running through the neighborhood with an AR cocked and locked you have clearly gone native.
    Yep.
    If I did this I'd be thrown into and under ye ol' House of Corrections.
    But then I live in MA. :p

Seriously though, not a wise move at all especially at that hour in darkness alone with no backup.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    paramedic70002, +1!

sounds like alot of you would have let the perp retreat with the option to return later with improved weaponry....

odds are very high, much more in the bg's favor than you may care to admit, that police wouldnt catch him if the veteran had simply stayed home and made a phone call. dont assume the license plate was visible, or an adequate description of the perp and vehicle could be made instantaneously.

i'd have chased them and exercised my right to make a citizen's arrest then and there while i had the advantage. the first phone call to the authorities would be made by my family as i left, with a follow up call from me on the cell phone once i was comfortably in pursuit.

as to my family, they'd be awake and wary and armed and ready with the doors locked waiting on my return or phone call. i'm comfortable with their abilities

much better than all of us being asleep again several days later if some drugged crazed individual with inadequacy issues decided to come back spewing lead because he now knows i'm armed, too. lets not forget that the bg now knows where an expensive assault rifle might now be pilfered later while all are away...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links