Thousands of options?

This is a discussion on Thousands of options? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...361/1056/COL02 Some people would call James Hocker a hero for killing the North College Hill man who was physically abusing his daughter. But under Ohio ...

Thread: Thousands of options?

Question Thousands of options?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...361/1056/COL02

Some people would call James Hocker a hero for killing the North College Hill man who was physically abusing his daughter.

But under Ohio law, the 55-year-old Westwood man went too far May 20 when he fatally shot Billy Washington.

Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Fred Nelson sentenced Hocker on Thursday to 10 years in prison on a charge of voluntary manslaughter.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"Every human life is entitled to respect and every person is entitled to proper protection," Nelson said.

"Was there a tumultuous relationship between his daughter and the victim?" said Assistant Hamilton County Prosecutor Kevin Hardman. "Yes, there was. But that does not, at least to some degree, forgive his criminal behavior.

"Mr. Hocker took a man's life. There were thousands of other options."

The sentence came after a hearing in which the victim was portrayed as the bad guy.

Cincinnati Police Detective Calvin Mathis, called by the defense to testify, called Washington, 38, of North College Hill, a monster. He testified that since Washington was released from prison in 2003, police had been to the home of Hocker's daughter, Sabrina Godfrey, at least 30 times.

"That's extremely high," Mathis said. "He was pretty violent, a very violent guy."

The calls never translated into criminal charges. Godfrey was too scared to press charges, Mathis said.

Hocker told Cincinnati police that on May 20 he was helping his daughter move from her Bond Hill home - she was headed to Tennessee to get away from Washington - when he and Washington got into an argument.

Hocker and Godfrey said Washington came at him with a knife, forcing him to shoot in self-defense.

But Cincinnati police said their investigation showed it couldn't have happened as Hocker said. Washington had trouble with his hand and could not have been holding a knife, according to prosecutor Hardman.

Hocker was initially charged with murder, but pleaded guilty Oct. 17 to a reduced charge voluntary manslaughter.
    I would like to know what the "thousands of other option" this man had were. Another man repeatedly abused his daughter, and as she was trying to get away, he had to defend her. The police new about the situation, although apparently their failure to do anything was partly because she wouldn't press charges. Probably because she was afraid he would get out on bond and then hurt her more. I don't have any kids, but I'm not sure how this guy put up with it for so long. Never did make it to trial, I wonder how a jury would have seen it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Since when did the abuser become the victim? The man was protecting his daughter who was being beaten by an ex(?). That's realllllly messed up for the cops to charge him with anything.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Hmmm..Cincinatti there is another place to add to my list of don't ever need to visit!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Whether the guy had a knife or not when he rushed, I think the shooting would have been justified (at least under Texas law). A fist can kill or maim as easily as a knife. Mr. Hocker's mistake (or maybe his defense team's) was focusing on the knife, and not the attack. If he thought there was a knife, he should have said "I thought I saw a knife, and he was going to kill me" instead of allowing the prosecution to paint him as a liar.

That's my armchair opinion, at least. I hope any of us here would have the presence of mind to emphasize fear for our lives rather than the weapon used in the attack.

I would send money to help with Hocker's defense!

Another dirtbag that was "rehabilitated" by prison, only to go on and victimize further. He wasn't rehabilitated until he ran across Hocker. It's a shame that Hocker was the one to pay the price for the failure of our criminal's justice system. He should be given a medal.

Cincinnati Police Detective Calvin Mathis, called by the defense to testify, called Washington, 38, of North College Hill, a monster. He testified that since Washington was released from prison in 2003, police had been to the home of Hocker's daughter, Sabrina Godfrey, at least 30 times.

"That's extremely high," Mathis said. "He was pretty violent, a very violent guy."

=============================================

This is the Detectives testimony and he still was convicted, this guy needed a better lawyer.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Washington had trouble with his hand and could not have been holding a knife
    Don't most people have 2 hands? What trouble could he have that would preclude him from wielding a knife?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Don't most people have 2 hands? What trouble could he have that would preclude him from wielding a knife?
    My thoughts exactly.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Bad Place?

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Hmmm..Cincinatti there is another place to add to my list of don't ever need to visit!!!
    When driving up I-75...I go '20 over' just to get by Cinci in a hurry...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wouldn't do that ret, the cops around there tend to be pretty harsh. The city itself is pretty bad, but Northern KY and some of the surrounding areas are pretty nice.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    It didn't stop him from somehow abusing (I am inferring) the daughter.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Hocker should have got off. He did the world a favor and got rid of another dirt bag who should have been in jail. Maybe Hocker willget off early. He should have never got 10 years.

Somebody should have done this dirt bag in a long time ago. Lets hope mister hocker will get out with maybe two of the ten years served.I hate dirt bags that beat up on women. Good ridence of another dirt bag.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Unfortunately he is now permanently barred from owning guns. I hope he appeals.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links