Home Invasion Story: Chickasaw Alabama

This is a discussion on Home Invasion Story: Chickasaw Alabama within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Home Invasion Article- Chickasaw Alabama From Article found at: http://www.fox10tv.com/ Burglary suspect gets a surprise Chickasaw, Alabama 2/9/2005 Home invasion is a constant fear for ...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Home Invasion Article- Chickasaw Alabama
    From Article found at:
    http://www.fox10tv.com/

Burglary suspect gets a surprise
    Chickasaw, Alabama
    2/9/2005

Home invasion is a constant fear for many homeowners. If the moment happens to you, are you prepared? A Chickasaw man proved he was ready for such an invasion. Cary Todd heard glass crashing early in the morning and woke up. He grabbed his pistol and waited.

Once he heard a man screaming he ran out of his room and met him on the stairs. The intruder was carrying an eight inch butcher knife. Todd demanded the invader drop his knife and get on his stomach. Todd's wife called the police. Todd told FOX-10's Jeff Barker he believes his Marine training was what helped him keep his cool and take control of the situation.

Todd doesn't want to think about what could have happened had he not had a pistol. Chickasaw police arrived on the scene and arrested Robert Toomey. Todd's wife says Toomey was no stranger to their house. He had been there several times with their son. Here are some tips to avoid home invasions:

Do not open doors until you are satisfied it's safe to do so.
    Do not assume you know who's at your door.
    Answer your door, "I'll get it," even if you are the only one at home.
    Teach your children to never answer or open the door without an adult present.
    Call the police if you suspect you're being invaded.
    For God, Family and Country!

DC Founder
    Welcome to the forum, ArmyCop!

I love hearing stories where the good guy wins, the bad guy goes to jail. Imagine how many BGs that would be out of work if everyone were as prepared. Good tips, too.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Great!

The tips are helpful, but they forgot to add "be prepared to perforate the intruder with multiple projectiles, should they attempt harm" ;) .

I keep reminding the wife to watch both the front and back when we hear someone out front. I try to keep the back sliding door locked most of the time so we don't get surprised there. A young well dressed girl came to the door the other day, she was working for a realestate office I believe and asked the wife for a glass of water and that she would come in to get it. My wife is a very kind well liked person and so let her in!!! This didn't go over very well with grumpy(me) and I explained what may take place and don't let people in!!! We shall see.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    A young well dressed girl came to the door the other day, she was working for a realestate office I believe and asked the wife for a glass of water and that she would come in to get it.
    Would you ever go to someone's door and ask for a glass of water? I would probably come prepared with my own water in the first place but if I was going to be out somewhere away from most civilization and stores, but if I was waaaay out in the boonies I certainly would not invite myself into someone's house. I might knock on the door and ask if I could get a drink from their water hose, but that's about my limit. Nobody will get in my house that way unless I know them...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

i agree with bumper thats not a way i would want to try to get into someones house and i sure wouldnt let someone in on that

Well around here the foot traffic by real estate people and others offering services can be heavy. The conversation that took place prior to the girl asking for water was about realestate and her trying for positions within it. So there was a period of gabbing prior to may I have some water. It is a ploy used by realestate people to get a glimps of the inside of a house without directly asking you to come in. I recall a few years ago one eldery realestate women ask to use our phone, and by the way you get to see the same realestate people year after year. The girl in question was new, I never seen her prior to this time and watched as she went to the kitchen and got water.
    Last edited by FortyFive; February 13th, 2005 at 01:40 PM.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Links