Sarasota Fl resident shoots, kills home invader : UPDATED Homeowner arrested.

This is a discussion on Sarasota Fl resident shoots, kills home invader : UPDATED Homeowner arrested. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sheriff's deputies were called to a house on Ernie Shank Court around 5:40 a.m. Tuesday morning. Deputies say, when they got there they found Calvin ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sarasota Fl resident shoots, kills home invader : UPDATED Homeowner arrested.

Sheriff's deputies were called to a house on Ernie Shank Court around 5:40 a.m.
    Tuesday morning.
    Deputies say, when they got there they found Calvin Yoder dead inside the home.
    Deputies say the homeowner heard breaking glass, so he grabbed a weapon to protect himself and his 11 year-old child.

LINK TO STORY (WWSB TV)

Secondary LINK to the Herald Tribune's Story
    Last edited by finst3r; October 24th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

There really needs to be a 'complete' investigation, one that can tell us why all home invasions cannot end in this same manner.
    This homeowner was prepared to protect his family and his home...
    RickyD likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I feel for Mr. Yoder. I hope he and the 11 year old have little of this affecting them long term. Glad he was prepared and able to defend what is his.

As far as the BG, too bad. I guess he is no longer a threat to anyone. But, I am sure it will come out that the reason he was doing bad stuff is because he got kicked out of church for singing too loud in the choir.
    2nd_is_1st likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

so the homeowner had several felony arrests yet he still had a firearm? I doubt this story will end happily. Hopefully, he had no felony convictions or he will most likely be spending more time behind bars.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member
    As has been said I hope Bane and his son come out of it ok. This does make one less criminal that the poeple of the area have to deal with. And i saw on another article that his mother is already spreading the word that Yoder was a really good guy.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I am glad the father and homeowner was able to defend himself against this burglar.

I hope that the homeowner does not get in to trouble for having and using a firearm due to his past. This is a major reason that I think that once a felon, especially a non-violent felon has done his time, he should get his rights back after completing his sentence. If he is too dangerous to possess a firearm, he should not be released in the first place.

Thumbs up

Gg 1
    Bg 0
    Last edited by NONAME762; October 23rd, 2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: 0ops
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Sarasota man who killed intruder arrested on gun charge"

The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office said a man who fatally shot an intruder inside his home
    faces charges of illegally possessing the handgun he fired.
    LINK
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

More and more I am becoming a fan of once you've served your time, ALL of your rights are restored. If it is not safe for you to own a gun to rightfully defend yourself, you shouldn't be allowed in public.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by noway2; October 24th, 2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Damned autocorrect

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Yeah I figured this was coming. With past drug offenses with the intent to distribute, bad guy that broke in was probably looking for drugs

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    More and more I am becoming a fan of once you've served your time, ALL of your rights are restored. If it is not safe for you to own a gun to rightfully defend yourself, you shouldn't be allowed in public.
    Yup.

Even though he happened to have had earlier run-ins with the statutes and was technically barred from the ownership of firearms, he still retains every right to defend himself effectively in such situations.

I, too, am a strong believer that our penchant for labeling folks and partially stripping them of rights for life doesn't agree with our standards as a nation of citizens, nor does it reflect an appropriate level of control of the worst-of-the-worst felons while appreciating not all "criminals" are of the same breed. If they're so violent they are to be barred for life from possessing arms, then by golly they shouldn't be allowed to roam the streets as free men. But if they're not so violent as that, then IMO there's little justification for lifetime bans of anything on such people, since they've been deemed to have paid their debt per the basic sentence and are now released into society as ... at least it should be ... free citizens, again.
    WHEC724, Curt58, CWOUSCG and 4 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    Yeah I figured this was coming. With past drug offenses with the intent to distribute, bad guy that broke in was probably looking for drugs
    Considering that they found no drugs or evidence of him dealing drugs, perhaps he had cleaned up his life and was just trying to raise his son?
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    Looking into my crystal ball, I see a No Bill on the shooting. But I do see possession by a felon charges sticking. A GOOD DA would drop the charges, and if not, accept a plea with recommended sentence of time served, since he was arrested and spent time behind bars on the charge.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    violent felons and ones using weapons in commission of crimes SHOULD lose gun rights for life. non violent felons could be restored after a period of time/or with time served.

Prison time is just one way of punishment for crime, not the only one. That doesn't mean that there aren't separate concurrent/consecutive punishments, such as restitution, community service, probation, loss of voting rights, loss of gun rights etc... I do think violent felons should get much harsher sentences, but even when they do their time, that doesn't necessarily mean their complete punishment phase is over. They should lose gun rights for life.

They did not know if the home owner, Bane was convicted of a felony. Glad he got the BG off the street without running up a bunch of medical bills for the tax payers to pay.

With all the charges against Bane and no convictions, I will have to go with "informant".
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links