Concealed carry permit holder shoots suspect

This is a discussion on Concealed carry permit holder shoots suspect within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; got this from a rss feed from packing.org, and didn't see it yet here in a search so figured I'd cross-post it.. This Monday, January ...

Thread: Concealed carry permit holder shoots suspect

Concealed carry permit holder shoots suspect

got this from a rss feed from packing.org, and didn't see it yet here in a search so figured I'd cross-post it..

This Monday, January 22, 2007, 49abcnews.com article reports, "An Oklahoma concealed-carry permit holder thwarted a robbery at a Topeka convenience store Friday night, police said."

Police said 57-year-old Michael Mah shot a 17-year-old suspect who was trying to rob the Phillips 66 at 29th and Randolph, after telling him to drop his weapon. The owner of the store, Dean Yee, told police two men ran inside, when one of them pointed a gun at him and demanded money. Concealed weapons advocates said Mah did the right thing.

“The bad guys … better be careful who they pick on,” said Troy Powell, a retired cop who recently moved here from Texas.

Powell said the shooting is exactly what concealed-carry is intended for.

“The guy was right there on scene and had firsthand knowledge that it was happening,” said Powell. “I think he reacted appropriately and probably he could’ve saved that guy’s life and his own.”

Police said Mah shot the man just once.

“I don’t think any of these people that carry-concealed are wanting to do someone it, they’re just wanting to stop the guy, to keep him from hurting … someone else,” Powell said.

Mah had a concealed carry permit from Oklahoma, one of 22 states from which permit holders can also carry a weapon in Kansas, police said.

Powell said the shooting reaffirms the decision legislators made last year to override the governor’s veto and pass the law.

“This incident, it supports that they’re right,” he said. “Concealed carry is a privilege that citizens should have.”

Police said the man who shot the suspect likely won’t be charged with a crime, since he had a valid permit. But, the final decision will be left up to the district attorney."
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

I hope they have a castle doctrine there and he dosn't have to worry about a law suite. this will put the BGs on notice and maybe they will think twice before they try to rob some one. It seems like the bad guys are getting younger

Another job well done, keep the bad guys guessing.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Glad it turned out the right way, with the GG's unhurt and the BG's stopped. I'd like to find some more info on exactly how Mr. Mah positioned himself to deal with the two aggressors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I hope they have a castle doctrine there and he dosn't have to worry about a law suite. this will put the BGs on notice and maybe they will think twice before they try to rob some one. It seems like the bad guys are getting younger
    Even with castle doctrine, I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) you can still get civil suits, just cuts out the criminal case.

Not in FL, Good Shoot = no charges and
    protected form civil suits.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    As it should be. And in the event of any civil action, I volunteer for jury duty.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    Even with castle doctrine, I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) you can still get civil suits, just cuts out the criminal case.
    Whoops, I was gonna say, "Not in Florida," but I was beaten to the punch.

That's right; the law that went into effect in Florida in October 2005 protects citizens who use deadly force in "any place they have a legal right to be," (it's like a "Castle Doctrine" that's portable), and beyond that, it shields those who act in legal self defense from civil liability for their actions.

That means homey's mama can't go crying into court talking about what a "good boy" he was and that he surely wasn't going to hurt you as long as you got the *&Q!# outta the car, *&#&@! and "gave it up!"

(I read so many stories here -- they make me sick -- in which the criminal P.O.S. who was robbing or beating people, who had a record of arrests and convictions as long as your arm, is described by his family as a wonderful guy, who always had a smile for everyone, who always was there to help out. Usually there's a "he was trying to turn his life around" thrown in, too -- indicating that he was indeed a criminal P.O.S.)

I'm glad this one worked out.

One problem, though: the person near the end of the article who calls right-to-carry a "privilege" we should have. Sorry, it's a right.

Kansas does have a castle doctrine. We won't know how "good" an outcome this thing has until we learn what the district attorney does.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Not to get too off-topic or hijack the thread, but does anyone know if this is also true for other states? (shielding against civil action too I mean.) I like visiting Florida, though I don't know if I'm up for living there year-round. I like winters occasionally, and i'm not big on hurricanes hehe.

Castle Doctrine is sitting in limbo here in PA, and pretty much considered dead in the water from what i understand. I love PA though, it's one of the most gun-friendly states in the union, as well as being beautiful farther out west of me. Castle Doctrine is the only thing that's missing in the equation.

BG Shot?

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links