Body language and cowardly BG.

This is a discussion on Body language and cowardly BG. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I did not know where this post should go, so by default it lands here. Moderators please move if you feel it requires it. Yesterday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body language and cowardly BG.

VIP Member

Body language and cowardly BG.

I did not know where this post should go, so by default it lands here. Moderators please move if you feel it requires it.

Yesterday was not a good day. I spent all night with abdominal pain and did not get a second's worth of sleep till sometime at 7 am. After a couple of hours of not-so-good rest, I decided to go to the local private "emergency" care clinic nearby. I took my gun as usual, but decided to leave it secured in my truck for the visit. I parked some 30 yards from the clinic (could not find any closer) and I head for the entrance doing what I call the "Old Man Shuffle", short steps with the feet barely clearing the ground..... believe me, that is as good as I could do.
    Pain aside, I am doing my usual scanning when I notice this guy just staring at me with a look I did not like one bit. He had this "I gotcha now" smile on his face and was dresses shabbily and the whole vibe he was giving was just wrong. I change directions so I can put more distance between him and me, but he approaches me. Even though I am trying to rationalize that I might be making too much of the situation, by internal alarm system is going full blast. The guy finally intercepts me in between 2 cars and says in spanish "Oye tu!" (hey you!) in a very agressive tone of voice. Without thinking, I pulled my Timberline Vallotton knife and holding it close to my leg, thumb it hard enough so the opening click would be as loud as I could make it. The guy's eyes got huge, he made a 180 and left the area in a hurry.

I am guessing that Mr. Predator saw me walking slow, obviously in pain and decided that I was sheep ready to be taken. My body language was clearly of somebody that usually is unable to defend himself. His assumption was wrong but luckily I was somewhat prepared and he did not have the testicular fortitude to carry on.

I was mad not at the fact that he would have the gall to come after me but that he would actually stalk people near a health care facility. I know, predators will rather attack the infirm and the weak rather than go for the healthy member of the herd, but the tought of the sick and the elderly being assaulted where they go to seek care still ticks me off.

They are just cowards and not just poor forgotten members of society that fell through the cracks and are just trying to survive the best they know. Screw the Liberal thinking!
    <rant off>
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    ... or at the instant someone corners you between two cars, out of the range of others' hearing/sight, even if crippled/ill. Absolutely.

Good job at quickly resisting what seems clearly to have been the start of a physical attack.

If it had been me, he would have seen a 14+1 CZ P01 with 9mm hollow points staring at him from low-ready. Had a similar experience some years ago, with a two-person attack at night. Was in a parking lot. I was gimping along from about 50yds from the doorway to the store. Two guys quickly surrounded me and were approaching. No doubt about their intent, with how clearly their actions zeroed in on me. Stopped them with a quick draw and simple request they cease & desist. The eyes got big on the leader's face, then they both immediately turned and disappeared. Amazing how effective a strong, competent defense can be. Amazing how simple that "math" is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glad to hear you're OK, Miggy. Hope they were able to do something for your pain after all the trouble of getting there!

Amazing what happens when they discover they've cornered a wolf instead of a sheep, isn't it?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

By chance did you warn the folks at the Drs office or notify PD as a follow-up action?

Great job...

Lead Moderator
    Glad you are o.k. did you report a possible mugger to the PD? It might get more patrols thru the parking lot area.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Perhaps he could have used a lesson in German:
    "Achtung! Sig Sauer P220ST!"...

Of course, shouting "I.N.S., Freeze!" would have ellicited a similar response to the one you witnessed....

Glad you're o.k......
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

This just goes to show that the bad guys can get you any where. Glad you are ok. That was good thinking on your part.

VIP Member
    Glad you came out of that OK, Miggy.

Being sick can be bad for a situation, for both parties. While you're not in tip-top shape and that is your disadvantage, I also think you're probably even more dangerous to confront than if you are well, so that's your attacker's disadvantage. Like a sick wild animal - you're too sick to flee, so you have to fight and end the scenario the quickest and most effective way before your illness overcomes you.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    Of course, shouting "I.N.S., Freeze!" would have ellicited a similar response to the one you witnessed....
    No, now you yell ICE, Freeze! ... INS doesn't exist anymore.

Administrator

Glad That Situation Was Not Worse Miggy.

And hope that you're feeling better.

"They are just cowards and not just poor forgotten members of society that fell through the cracks and are just trying to survive the best they know."

Actually most of them pushed themselves into the cracks but, since they have no moral compass they are surviving the best the know how...or are willing.

Scary thought that if the SHTF in this country an increasing number of the general population will become Instantly ruthlessly predatory. Believe it.

Also factor in drug addiction...double trouble & the weak, infirm, elderly & the generally helpless will not stand much of a chance.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Hope you feel better Miggy - and glad it turned out OK.

Indeed body language can IMO play a great part - not least for most of us in everryday life, per the way we carry ourselves etc - looking purposeful, vigilant and certainly not like a willing victim.

Despite your obvious difficulties it sure seems the approach did the trick.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The right sound loud enough does wonders. Hope you feel better.
    I know that if I feel like I'm abought to die and someone attacks me I intend to make them feel just as bad as I do.

As I get older and it is harder to move fast I become much more aware of who and what is around me.

I posted this in another forum. Anyway, Purse snatching attempt. My wife and I are leaving Lowe's and getting into the car. My wife has her door open and I am beginning to sit in the drivers seat. Through the side window I see an individual walking quickly towards my wife. I stand up (I'm 6'1'' and 280 lbs.) reach my hand in my pocket, on a pistol. The guy about three feet from my wife. No where to go between the cars the door's open. He looks at me, stops turns and acts as if he gets a cell phone call and runs off. He seemed to disappear. About 15 minutes later the local PD had a van of urban individuals handcuffed on the sidewalk on the side of Lowe's I was informed of this by someone that answered my post. Looks like they got them. We reported the incident to the PD and Lowe's. Neither seemed very interested.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    (edit comments) I'm sure PD and Lowe's would've taken that seriously. Honestly, they piss me off. They're apathetic about trying to prevent bad things from happening, but they'll jump all over you when their inaction forces you to defend yourself.

As far as Miggy's situation, I'll echo the sentiment that I sure hope he reported the guy, with a good description, to the police and the hospital security. They need to know that someone is of a mind to prey on the people who are going there for medical attention.
    Last edited by rocky; January 26th, 2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

Nah, yell "Migra" (pronounced me-gru [short u])

seriously, glad you made it through ok, hope they got everthing else taken care of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links