Looks Like One For the Good Guys

This is a discussion on Looks Like One For the Good Guys within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeowner: 1, BG: 0. From Today's Tulsa World Tulsan kills break-in suspect with shotgun blasts By JEFF BILLINGTON World Staff Writer 2/5/2007 View in Print ...

Thread: Looks Like One For the Good Guys

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Looks Like One For the Good Guys

Homeowner: 1, BG: 0.

From Today's Tulsa World

Tulsan kills break-in suspect with shotgun blasts
    By JEFF BILLINGTON World Staff Writer
    2/5/2007

View in Print (PDF) Format

A man was killed Sunday afternoon when he allegedly tried to break in to a Tulsa home and was shot several times by the resident.

Tulsa Police Capt. Eric Dalgleish said that just after 2 p.m. Sunday a man began knocking on and kicking the door at a home at 1131 S. 146th East Ave., apparently in an attempt to break in to the residence.

"It appears the subject tried to kick the front door in," Dalgleish said. "The resident didn't recognize the subject, and he retrieved a shotgun from inside the home. He fired at the suspect after the door began to come open.

"The subject had banged and knocked at the door, escalating into the subject kicking the door in several times."

The resident fired several shots into the door as it opened, hitting the suspect, who then backpedaled and collapsed on the ground next to the driveway where he was pronounced dead, Dalgleish said.

Dalgleish said it was unknown how many shots the resident fired at the suspect, but a neighbor, Kris Orman, said he heard at least three shots at the time of the incident. Orman said he was inside watching television when he heard the shotgun blasts.

The man who fired the shotgun and a woman also living in the home
    told police they didn't know the suspect and also didn't recognize his vehicle, which was parked in the residence's driveway.

No weapons or drugs were found on the 39-year-old man, whose name was being withheld pending notification of next of kin, Dalgleish said Sunday evening.

The names of the man and woman living in the home also were not released Sunday.

If the shooting is ruled justifiable, it may fall under Oklahoma's "Make My Day" law. Such a ruling would be made by the District Attorney's Office, the officer said.

The purpose of the law is to protect the victim of crime who defends home and family against unlawful intrusion from any criminal prosecution or civil action. The law states a person can use force, including deadly force, to defend his or her home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    BG's choice of actions caused his own death. If someone jumps under your car\truck on the highway and dies - it's their fault. Same if they break in or do something else that caused their death.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Sounds like the BG was on drugs or had the wrong house. Either of which could have been injurious or fatal to the residents once he got in. Barring untold details, sounds like a judicious use of force to me.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

"Make My Day Law" Sounds kinda gung ho. How about "Double Tap to C-O-M Law"? Or "Feeling Lucky Punk? Law"? Just more fodder for anti gun nuts.. I would prefer one a little more P.C. like umm "Chlorine for the Gene-pool law" Or "If you can't get along with society, You will be Deleted. Law"

Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Sounds like the BG was on drugs or had the wrong house. Either of which could have been injurious or fatal to the residents once he got in. Barring untold details, sounds like a judicious use of force to me.
    The BG didn't have the wrong house...he had the 'RIGHT' house, finally...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    3 shotgun blasts? Hoo Rah! Guy must have needed to reload.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The homeowner must have had the unwelcome mat out. Score one less bad guy.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I wonder if he used a pump or autoloader? Oh well, another one bites the dust.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    "Make My Day Law" Sounds kinda gung ho. How about "Double Tap to C-O-M Law"? Or "Feeling Lucky Punk? Law"? Just more fodder for anti gun nuts.. I would prefer one a little more P.C. like umm "Chlorine for the Gene-pool law" Or "If you can't get along with society, You will be Deleted. Law"

I'm kinda partial to calling it the "Defend My Life" law. Typical biased yellow "journalism.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

What a rotten way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

At least they are shielded from civil litigation, it sounds like. Instead of suing the would-be victims for defending themselves, the courts should have them over hosing down their driveway, for raising such a waste of space.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    Or "If you can't get along with society, You will be Deleted. Law"
    I likes that one!
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    I'm kinda partial to calling it the "Defend My Life" law. Typical biased yellow "journalism.
    Well, I'm from Oklahoma and we have always called it the "Make My Day" law, ever since it was enacted in 1983. Personally I like it -- I think it sends an appropriate message to the criminal element.

Links