CCW Holder who kills car thief is now in deep trouble.

This is a discussion on CCW Holder who kills car thief is now in deep trouble. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He killed the man who was trying to steal his car. Does not look good for him. Man facing murder charges after shooting alleged car ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: CCW Holder who kills car thief is now in deep trouble.

He killed the man who was trying to steal his car. Does not look good for him.
    Man facing murder charges after shooting alleged car thief - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Auto theft is not a capital offense. It's just property, and if it has any value, it is insured.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Just because it was reported that way does not mean he will be convicted. DR

The "Castle Doctrine" allows property owner to protect property (car, home, etc.) & life from said BG's.

"In a news release, DeKalb County Police said the shooting suspect, 26-year-old Quintavious Judon, was sitting inside the restaurant when he noticed a suspect entering his car in the parking lot."

Yet, it seems the case here is that the "Good Guy" crossed the line, due to the fact that his life wasn't in danger, because he was not in the vehicle at the time of attempted theft.

Chalk this one up to experience, under heading, "Glad it was him and not me".
    gatorbait51, mkh, hdhnict and 2 others like this.
    _____Peace ! ________
    "A home divided will fall."
    ~ Jesus, Mk. 3:25 ~

Ruger SP101 357 Mag
    N82 Tactical IWB

Carry Safe & Smart

Godspeed, Quintavious.
    gatorbait51 and d2jlking like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    He's in for a rough ride whatever course it may take.
    gatorbait51 and hammer1270 like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

If your car were in your yard, it's a different story in many states, but not in a public parking lot...
    gatorbait51 and hammer1270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 357MagMan View Post
    The "Castle Doctrine" allows property owner to protect property (car, home, etc.) & life from said BG's.
    Perhaps you should read the rest of the article;
    DeKalb County Police Captain Stephen Fore told FOX 5's Doug Evans that Judon had the proper permit to carry a hand gun, but added Georgia law forbids the use of deadly force in protecting property.
    Castle doctrine laws vary from state to state, and many stated so not allow the use of lethal force merely to protect property. NC is another state that does NOT permit the use of deadly force merely to protect your property.
    357MagMan and gatorbait51 like this.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Homicide is justified in the resistance to commit a felony in presence of slayer.If Georgia law is the same,trying to prevent grand theft does seem to be valid.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDEHSV View Post
    If your car were in your yard, it's a different story in many states, but not in a public parking lot...
    Again it all depends on your states laws. There is no justification for the use of deadly force to defend property either in a public space, or in my own driveway.

Bottom line, KNOW the laws and when deadly force is permitted in your state. Just because you see a news story about a Texan that shot a thief running away with his TV in the back does not mean you can or should do the same thing.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    Perhaps you should read the rest of the article;

Castle doctrine laws vary from state to state, and many stated so not allow the use of lethal force merely to protect property. NC is another state that does NOT permit the use of deadly force merely to protect your property.
    Right, thanx for the heads up, sometimes I forget "The CD" is different state to state.

But, I did kinda address that issue with the following statement, "Yet, it seems the case here is that the "Good Guy" crossed the line, due to the fact that his life wasn't in danger, because he was not in the vehicle at the time of attempted theft."
    _____Peace ! ________
    "A home divided will fall."
    ~ Jesus, Mk. 3:25 ~

Ruger SP101 357 Mag
    N82 Tactical IWB

Carry Safe & Smart

From where I sit, even if the law was on my side I have to think that the financial cost, legal ramifications, and personal challenges that go along with using deadly force are far, far greater than those associated with making an insurance claim for the full value of an insured vehicle that is stolen. All of my vehicles are insured against theft, so I probably would not have chosen to shoot in that situation.

With all of that said, I have no idea what the shooter's situation truly was, so I am really just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by 357MagMan View Post
    But, I did kinda address that issue with the following statement, "Yet, it seems the case here is that the "Good Guy" crossed the line, due to the fact that his life wasn't in danger, because he was not in the vehicle at the time of attempted theft."
    Agreed! The guy crossed that line when he initiated the confrontation. Call 911, give a description of vehicle and thief, plus direction of travel, etc.

I don't know about GA training course or even if it is a requirement, but the course in NC spends a great deal of time on making it clear when lethal force is permitted and when it isn't.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    He wouldn't be found guilty if I were on his jury. It's time to stop crime--any crime--and stop pandering to the criminals.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post

With all of that said, I have no idea what the shooter's situation truly was, so I am really just speculating.
    But we do know part of his situation, he escalated the situation by exiting the restaurant to confront the bad guy, probably not even knowing if he was also armed. As you said, it was just a vehicle covered by insurance.

When I am out and armed, I am armed for a reason, so I get to go home that day. If I'm delayed while filling out a police report and taking a taxi home, so be it, I'm home, and I'll contact my insurance company once I get there.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links