Fighting back works

This is a discussion on Fighting back works within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This story isn't going to have any newspaper articles or links about it, nor does it involve an armed citizen, but I feel it goes ...

Thread: Fighting back works

Fighting back works

This story isn't going to have any newspaper articles or links about it, nor does it involve an armed citizen, but I feel it goes here anyway.

My best friend's brother goes to University of Dayton, he just turned 21 a couple months ago, and he hasn't had a chance to do training yet, so he doesn't carry.

Anyway, he was walking home from a friends apartment last night when he got jumped by two what he said were "big guys" (he is about 5'8 and 170). The BG's apparently came up behind him and knocked him down, then put the boots to him and demanded his wallet and phone. According to him at this point he just "flipped out" and got up and started swinging back at them, at which point they ran away, without his possessions.

He has a black eye and his face is swollen up like you would expect of someone who go kicked in the face. He will be hurting for a couple days, but since he fought back, thats all that happened. Gotta work with him about going around in condition white, but he now says he is going to start his ccw process here soon. Maybe taking the CHL class in the next couple weeks or spring break.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up

+1

I would rather be able to wake up and look at myself in the mirror with a bashed and bloody face than to wake up and not be able to look at myself in the mirror at all.

and congrats on your senior membership BTW.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah, his face isn't the worst I've ever seen after a fight, but it ain't good either. No real serious damage though. My best friend says he will go get take his CHL class when his younger brother does, so that is also good news.

Thanks QK.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Glad to hear it worked out for him (kinda). Sounds like the BGs were looking for an easy target and fighting back took him out of that category.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Atleast he was able to get up and defend himself it could have been alot worse.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Looks like the BGs were cowards looking for an easy mark. Bad guys beware,the next time the mark may be armed.

One of the very things Jeff Cooper wrote about in "Principles of Personal Defense." A rapid, violent response can be so startling to an attacker that a potential victim can turn the tables. Kudos to the guy for refusing to submit.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Assistant Administrator
    Good for him - but .............. it would have only taken one boot to the head initially to render him incapable, after which possibly more and severe damage.

True tho - an ''explosive'' response in defence can be very effective and the size of the BG's is not always a guarantee they are particularly brave! Glad these were not.

Con yellow however is a must for this guy - as well as being able to be armed eventually - another time he may face stiffer odds.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah, I am slowly trying to bring all of my friends into the fold of not being sheep and learning to be in condition yellow all the time. At 21ish most people feel invincible, or like it won't happen to me, so they don't see a need. I circulate my copy of "Principle of Personal Defense" and "The Concealed Handgun Manual" amongst my friends to try to get them in the right mindset, as well as the Sheep essay.

I also tell them to come see me before any of them buy a firearm or a rig for carrying, not because I know everything about them, but I know more than they do, and don't want them to get ripped off.

At this point I at least have most of them more aware of their surroundings, and carrying a folding knife, something my friends brother says he will buy this weekend (then we gotta find him training down there).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Your friend's brother deserves a round of ...

Glad he taught the 'cowards' a lesson...next time it could be a permnant lesson.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Good for him.

But it'll be even better if there's a next time....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

You've got to love the courage of the BGs - what with the two to one odds and all. I'm glad it worked out for the best!!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Links