U.S. Tourist in Costa Rica Kills Mugger

This is a discussion on U.S. Tourist in Costa Rica Kills Mugger within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/22/D8NF5DGG1.html SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) -- A tour bus of U.S. senior citizens defended themselves against a group of alleged muggers, sending two of ...

Thread: U.S. Tourist in Costa Rica Kills Mugger

U.S. Tourist in Costa Rica Kills Mugger

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/22/D8NF5DGG1.html

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) -- A tour bus of U.S. senior citizens defended themselves against a group of alleged muggers, sending two of them fleeing and killing a third in the Atlantic coast city of Limon, police said on Thursday.

One of the tourists _ a retired member of the U.S. military aged about 70 _ put assailant Warner Segura in a head lock and broke his clavicle after the 20-year-old and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus Wednesday, said Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose.

The two other men fled when the 12 senior citizens started defending themselves. The tourists then drove Segura to the Red Cross where the man was declared dead. The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said.

The tourists left on their Carnival cruise after the incident and Hernandez said authorities do not plan to press any charges against them, saying they acted in self defense.

"They were in their right to defend themselves after being held up," Hernandez said.

Hernandez said Segura had previous charges against him for assaults.

In a media statement, Miami, Fla.-based Carnival Cruise Lines said the Wednesday incident occurred during an outing at a Limon beach which a group of a dozen passengers had arranged on their own.

"According to witnesses, while sightseeing at a local beach, the group of guests were approached by three assailants, one of whom was armed," the statement said.

"The victims struggled with the armed perpetrator, and were able to disarm him. During this process, the gunman's two accomplices fled the scene. In the course of disarming and restraining the assailant, he died from apparent asphyxiation."

Neither the Costa Rican police nor Carnival identified the man involved in the struggle with the mugger.

The cruise line said the guests were questioned by local law enforcement and then returned to the ship. The ship's departure from Limon was slightly delayed to await their return.

"All of the guests involved, who had booked the cruise together as a group, have opted to continue with their vacation plans. Carnival is providing full support and assistance to the guests," according to the statement.

The ship, The Carnival Liberty, continued on its scheduled itinerary, with a port call scheduled in Colon, Panama.
    I don't think that was meant to be part of the vacation. But apparently those BG's bit off more than they could chew when they thought they saw easy pickings. I am not sure how strong of a headlock you need to break a clavacle, but thats pretty impressive for a young guy, let alone a 70 year old. No charges are gonna be filed it looks like.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Good for them. Hopefully they can still enjoy the vacation. And asphyxiating someone is a choke hold is easy...a little too easy. that's why most PDs do not "allow" the chicken dance hold anymore despite its effectiveness when applied correctly.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Yeah, asphyxiation is easy with a choke hold. In h2h training I have had we had to be very careful, because if both arteries to the brain get blocked with a "blood choke" you can go unconcious in under 4 seconds. As soon as they are both cut off you begin to feel faint, its not really fun, tapping out ASAP is a good thing.

But this guy broke the BG's clavacle with his chokehold. The clavacle isn't as thick as say the femur, but not too many bones on a 20 year old are brittle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Good for them. Hopefully they can still enjoy the vacation. And asphyxiating someone is a choke hold is easy...a little too easy. that's why most PDs do not "allow" the chicken dance hold anymore despite its effectiveness when applied correctly.

The other thread characterized it as having "snapped his neck." This article says "broke his clavicle." Isn't that the collarbone?! So I guess it makes more sense that he died of asphyxiation. Good riddance. I hope his last moments were of terror, pain and fear for his soul.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    way to go senior citizens. Shows that it doesn't matter how old you are, you still have the right to defend yourself

VIP Member
    Wow....I'm glad to hear that the grizzled warrior won't face criminal charges thanks to an enlightened Costa Rican justice system....and I'm equally glad he and the other intended victims weren't injured.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

good for him...way to take out the trash.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

that's great. i'm always afraid that at the end of an article like this it turns out that the GG gets found wrong for one reason or another so this is another great ending.
    What's this button do?

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Wow....I'm glad to hear that the grizzled warrior won't face criminal charges thanks to an enlightened Costa Rican justice system...
    I'm pretty certain that if the same thing occurred elsewhere, he could easily have found himself rotting in jail or, at minimum, fleeced of everything he owned in order to fund the payola required to see freedom again. More than a few places are like that.

Good for the geezers. They're alive. The BG is not. They're safer because of it. And, just maybe, a few of the less-capable folks on that tour now have a more finely-tuned sense of survival and what it takes to prevail. Good for all of them!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I wonder if word of this has reached the BGs in the next port of call?

If so, I bet they'll avoid this feisty bunch of geriatrics.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I bet the tourists are going to be left alone for awhile!! very impressive!

I Love These Sports Scores...

This just in...

Tourists 1

BG's 0

Final...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links