Fights back with a fixed blade

This is a discussion on Fights back with a fixed blade within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of my co workers, lets call him "John" was in the fan area in richmond, va and at about 9 oclock at night going ...

Thread: Fights back with a fixed blade

One of my co workers, lets call him "John" was in the fan area in richmond, va and at about 9 oclock at night going to the store for his parents when he was still a highschool student. (This was about 3 or 4 years ago). As he rounded a corner there was a guy standing there ready to rob him. He claimed he had a gun and would shoot if he did not give him his things. John grew up around firearms and said he saw some metal sticking out, but it didnt resemble a gun at all so he tried to walk out into the street to get the attention of an oncoming car. He had a quick opening knife clipped in his front pocket that the attacker grab and threw down the street. Then, assuming John was unarmed started to choke him. Somewhere in the struggle, the badguy tried to pull a hockey move and pull the back of his coat over top of John's head. When he did this, he made John able to grab a large...I think 8 or so inch fixed blade bucknife he had on the inside of his coat. At that point he started blindly stabbing (his head still covered by his coat) and managed to stab the guy a number of times in his ribs as fast and hard as he could. The guy ran off and John's glasses were shattered somewhere on the ground so he couldn't see anything. He actually said "I wasn't even going to call the cops because I figured I had won that battle, but I couldn't see antyhing cuz I am basically blind so I just started knocking on random doors asking people to call the police for me." He said most people saw him blood covered and just slammed their doors, but finally someone called the police for him. When the police came, John did not get a concealed weapon charge considering the fact that it had saved his life, and the attacker who was traced down by his blood trail where he was found in an alley close to death turned out to have robbed and assaulted many other people recently. In fact, he severely beat some of the victims after they already gave him all of their belongings. He was sentenced to 15 years in jail for his crimes if I remember it correctly. John's mom had always given him **** about carrying knives around and when he came home unscathed and covered in blood he was like "THIS is why I always carry a knife!" And get this...It turned out the bad guys so called gun was a pair of pliers.

I Like Stories...

that have 'happy' endings. Your co-worker is a lucky guy! Glad the situation worked out well, both with the BG AND the cops...

There doesn't appear to be an end to these dirtbags who constantly 'roam and hunt'...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Your friend obviously did a good job, coming out of this relatively uninjured. I think this story brings up a couple of points though:

Quote Originally Posted by bellbw View Post
    The guy ran off and John's glasses were shattered somewhere on the ground so he couldn't see anything.
    This is something those of us who wear glasses need to think about more. They can get dislodged in a fight, dramatically diminishing combat effectiveness. At the beginning of the famous FBI Miami shootout, Agent Ben Grogan lost his glasses. Grogan was regarded as the best shot among all the agents present, but during the firefight he was ineffective without his glasses. Grogan ended up being one of those killed.

I'm pretty much blind as a bat without glasses (I can't even read the big 'E' on the eye chart). If I were thrust into a gunfight without corrective lenses, I probably couldn't even see the target, much less identify it well enough to feel confident shooting. I wear contacts, which are less likely to get knocked out than glasses are. There are times when I wear glasses though, and it's worth thinking about what it would be like trying to fight without them.

Quote Originally Posted by bellbw View Post
    He actually said "I wasn't even going to call the cops because I figured I had won that battle, but I couldn't see antyhing cuz I am basically blind so I just started knocking on random doors asking people to call the police for me."
    Obviously, not calling the cops after using deadly force against someone would be a bad move (from your description it sounds like you agree, but I just want to make this explicit). Initiating a call to the police helps establish that you're the good guy. In addition, having to knock on doors, while covered in blood, to get someone to call the police really shows why a cellphone is a vital piece of EDC gear.

It turned out well in the end, which is definitely good, but there are still things we can learn from his experience.

Sponsored Links