CHL holder arrested in shooting

This is a discussion on CHL holder arrested in shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...033/1056/COL02 A Mount Airy resident is behind bars on $100,000 bond today after shooting a man Saturday in Corryville. Mitchell E. White, 46, of Mount ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHL holder arrested in shooting

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...033/1056/COL02

A Mount Airy resident is behind bars on $100,000 bond today after shooting a man Saturday in Corryville.

Mitchell E. White, 46, of Mount Airy, is charged with felonious assault after admitting to police he shot Mario Gordon, a teen.

Mitchell’s attorney, Kevin Spiering, told Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Brad Greenberg that Mitchell, a Comair jet mechanic, was sitting in his parked car on Short Vine Street in Corryville when Gordon and another teen approached. They got into an argument.

Spiering said Gordon pointed a gun at White. Spiering told the judge that White pulled out his gun – he is registered to carry a concealed weapon – and shot Gordon.

Assistant prosecutor Betsy Sundermann requested a high bond, noting White shot and wounded another person.

“My understanding of the serious harm,” Spiering interjected, “is Gordon was shot in the buttocks.”
    Not too much info on any of this, I'll try to post updates if I find more. Although the paper says he is a CHL holder.
    Last edited by rstickle; March 11th, 2007 at 12:18 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

There has to be more to this story. On its face, it looks like self defence.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    sure does. I'll be watching for new developments for sure.

i agree. there's got to be more, or at least more to be released. if not then it's unbelievable how laws and head figures try to, again, make you guilty until proven innocent. you should die for your country in it's defence. not die in your country because you were too scared to defend yourself.
    What's this button do?

I hope White gets a fair shake from the grand jury. It looks like self defence.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    If it is as it looks, then here is a prime example of a need for a "Castle Doctrin" law. But time will tell when more details are released.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Sounds like his aim was off. Maybe thats why he was charged. Maybe the cops figured the teen was leaving when he was shot. Realy need to get more information.

More Info Is Certainly Needed...

but a teen pointing a gun at someone? And all they talk about is the legally armed victim? Something is missing from this story...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A lot missing but maybe if the teen was shot in the buttocks, then they arrested the man for shooting at him while he was fleeing? The teen deserved it, anyway. Hope all charges are dropped soon.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

If the story is as it reads above with Gordon (teen) being shot int he buttocks then that indicates he was fleeing, and thus assumedly no longer a threat.
    If the state has no castle regs. on the books then well White is in deep poo, just like the cabbie in Boston last month who found himself faced with a real life shoot/no shoot situation. As per state law and general training he too should not have shot a fleeing former attacker who is no longer presenting a threat; http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...lleged_robber/

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    If the story is as it reads above with Gordon (teen) being shot int he buttocks then that indicates he was fleeing, and thus assumedly no longer a threat.
    If the state has no castle regs. on the books then well White is in deep poo, just like the cabbie in Boston last month who found himself faced with a real life shoot/no shoot situation. As per state law and general training he too should not have shot a fleeing former attacker who is no longer presenting a threat; http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...lleged_robber/

- Janq
    How many times have we seen 711 videos on TV of robbers shooting behind them as they're running out the door! I'll stop shooting when either they stop moving on the floor or when I don't see them anymore. Unless and until then...to me they're still a threat. A fleeing attacker is no less dangerous than the one standing face to face. The common perception in our society seems to be that once we present and the attacker turns away that they must be no more threat...which is quite a dangerous assumption.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yep thats a possibility, firing while on the run...away.
    It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and if it's similar to the end result for the Boston cabbie.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    but a teen pointing a gun at someone? And all they talk about is the legally armed victim? Something is missing from this story...

ret
    That's what I was thinking. I would have had my lawyer screaming at the judge, "What part of 'TEEN WITH A GUN POINTING IT AT ME' are you not hearing?!"

Senior Moderator
    What matters now is how the jury sees it.

that is ALL that matters...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links