Kentucky guy: 1, Home intruders: 0

This is a discussion on Kentucky guy: 1, Home intruders: 0 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=6198182 "The intruders allegedly broke into a home where Daniels was staying after Daniels refused to answer the door. The men had pounded on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky guy: 1, Home intruders: 0

Kentucky guy: 1, Home intruders: 0

http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=6198182

"The intruders allegedly broke into a home where Daniels was staying after Daniels refused to answer the door. The men had pounded on the door claiming to be police officers with a search warrant, Keelin said.

The men then allegedly forced Daniels into the bathroom, tied him up and proceeded to ransack the house, the sheriff's report said. While the alleged burglars were busy in other parts of the house, Daniels freed himself and got a 9 mm pistol from a cabinet, the report said.

"When the suspects returned to the bathroom, they found Mr. Daniels, now armed and in a shooting stance," the report said."

2. Remove Ads

Scary. Someone pounding on my door saying they are cops....I have heard this quite a bit on the forums. But I like the part about 1 suspect being "Dumped" off at emergency entrance. Honor among thieves, my a@@!

About the only opportunity to defuse the situation would be to get on the phone to 911, notify the folks at the door that 911 was being called, and to ensure that whomever it was indeed was police. Otherwise, there's a short list of likely outcomes: (a) they immediately break into the house because they're police and believe you're dangerous and will flee; (b) they are not police and will leave or rush the house, in which case you'll know what to do; or, ideally, (c) they are police and won't mind that you're on the phone with 911 to confirm their identity. Bad situation. Not one that police/sheriffs can really do much to improve, either, given the job they perform.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

the case would be turned over to the commonwealth's attorney and a grand jury would be asked to decide if any charges would be filed against Daniels.

I guess this has to happen, but it still makes me mad.

Is there a Castle Doctrine in Kentucky? Looks like they need one if there isn't.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Can We Have A Round Of Applause...

for Mr. Daniels?

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Thumbs up A good shoot

This sure sounds like a good shoot to me. He had no other alternative.

This is why no-knock (or essentially no-knock) warrant services are a BAD thing. The resident has one of two choices: cooperate (and possibly get killed by hooligans claiming to be police), or fight back (and get killed by 30 officers who show up after an "officer down" cry on the police band).

I don't like those choices, personally.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Is there a Castle Doctrine in Kentucky? Looks like they need one if there isn't.
    Yes Ky has the castle doctrine...I'm surprised its even being investigated. Guess its the jumpin through the hoops deal..

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    boy am i glad to hear he made it through and gets to see another day.. maybe he will consider being armed at home 24/7 like many of us do... may have made things a bit easier and maybe would have gotten both instead of just one??

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'd like to know why the man didn't arm himself while the pounding was going on. How long between that and the forced entry/tying up/etc.?

Was there time for him to have gone for his gun? It's hard for me to imagine not, since the story said they were banging and he refused to answer the door. That implies, to me, some amount of time. I'd sure as hell have gone to wherever my gun and cellular phone were.

Another argument for being armed even when just puttering around your home.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The police must surely be pleased that he offed a guy who goes around impersonating them for criminal predation.

VIP Member
    Not to stray too far OT, but how does no-knock warrant enter into this? They were knocking, according to the article. I agree that N-K warrants must be used sparingly and with the utmost care to ensure the safety of all involved, but they are a tool in the box that can (and often do) prevent injuries to the police, the suspects, and the public. Let's not paint the entire concept with the broad brush of a few (admittedly tragic) bad warrant services.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Not only do we have Castle Doctrine, but it's been case law since like 1935.

I imagine the investigation is to ascertain that they really busted into his house. Which is a viable thing to investigate.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links