Passer-by uses gun to halt attack

This is a discussion on Passer-by uses gun to halt attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A death averted Passer-by uses gun to halt attack By Nicklaus Lovelady nicklaus.lovelady@jackson.gannett.com As customers watched in horror Sunday afternoon, a man stabbed a woman ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passer-by uses gun to halt attack

Thumbs up Passer-by uses gun to halt attack

A death averted
    Passer-by uses gun to halt attack

By Nicklaus Lovelady
    nicklaus.lovelady@jackson.gannett.com

As customers watched in horror Sunday afternoon, a man stabbed a woman and attempted to set her on fire in the parking lot of a Jackson store, witnesses said.

The attack was stopped by a passer-by, who held the man at gunpoint until police arrived, witnesses said.

The suspect, Henry Watson, 42, was arrested and is expected to face aggravated assault charges, Jackson Police Department Cmdr. Lee Vance said. Watson's wife, Gracie Watson, 42, was transported to the University of Mississippi Medical center, where she was listed in good condition.

"It wasn't five minutes from when she had left my line when I heard a scream outside," said Theresa Stuckey, a cashier at the Family Dollar at 516 Nakoma Drive in Jackson. "I looked out, and (the attacker) was on top of her stabbing her, and stabbing her and stabbing her.

"She was screaming, 'Help, he's trying to kill me!' She was rolling on the ground, trying to get out of the way, but he kept stabbing her. He stabbed her about 20 times in the neck, back and arms."

As the attack continued, people were yelling at the man to stop and honking their horns, Stuckey said. She said she called 911.

"He was just standing over her hacking away," said Dolly Baker, who had just left the Save-A-Lot store next door when she saw the attack.

Baker said she watched the man pour gasoline on the victim then try to strike a match.

"He was literally trying to kill that lady in broad daylight," she said.

Baker said a passer-by stopped the attack.

"He told the man, 'Stop, or I'm going to shoot. And if you run, I'm going to kill you,' " Baker said.

The man held Watson at bay until police arrived at the scene.

"Right now, all we know is that (Watson) attacked his wife. For what reason, we don't know," Jackson Police Department Sgt. Eric Smith said.

Police said they are looking for the passer-by who stopped the attack and would like to talk to him but don't know who he is or where he went.

The incident occurred about 3:50 p.m.

Smith said he did not know exactly how many times Gracie Watson was stabbed but said it was more than 10 times.

Related Articles:
    # Video: Interview with witness to brutal stabbing
    http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...VIDEO/70304018

The story can be found at; http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...=2007703050350

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

I wounder why he left.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    I wounder why he left.
    Update reports via WarriorTalk indicate the gentleman was located and is reported to have been a person that the police had a "history" with.
    Assumption as of current there is that he's a felon and thus not allowed to possess muchless carry a firearm.
    If all that pans out to be truth then I hope in this case he receives some consideration for his valor toward what otherwise is a crime.

Myself though I too if the chance/choise was afforded to me would opt to disappear as well.
    Last thign I'd desire is my name and information being spilled into the public by the media.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's In...

Passer-by's 1

Dirtbags 0

Final Score...

Personally?... he should have shot twice before yelling stop...

I know, I know...it's the other way around, just trying to save the taxpayers needless expense!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    +1 to Jangs comments about not wanting the media attention.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Administrator
    Saved a life or painful months in the burn ward for that lady.
    +1
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The GG should get a break . He didn't have to intervene and save the womans life. He could have walked away and the woman would have died a horrible death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    The GG should get a break . He didn't have to intervene and save the womans life. He could have walked away and the woman would have died a horrible death.
    Like all the others that just stood there saying, "OMG, I can't believe this is happening." Never understood that. It is happening, it's happening right in front of you, do something about it. At least someone did or this lady would have been surely dead. A tire iron to the head or a front bumper to the midsection would've been better than telling the dispatcher: "Oh ya, he's stabbing her... He's still stabbing her... She's yelling 'help me!' really loud... Now he's setting her on fire... Ya, still screaming... Oh wait, the guy just left and now she's not moving... OK, the cops aren't going to be here for another 5 minutes? OK. Should you send an ambulance?" Ya, that helps a lot.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Yeah, I love how the other witnesses "helped" by honking their car horns. Yeah, that'll deter a psycho. Obviously was working like a charm, here, and the guy with the gun was just overkill, right?

Oooh, I'll bet there was someone on one of those magic crimestopping cellular phones calling the police! Again, why on earth did someone need a gun when people were on the phone to the police?

I don't blame the sheep for not getting physically involved. I wouldn't either if I didn't have my gun with me. I am surprised that they tried to at least distract the BG by yelling and honking. I applaud them for that effort no matter how small it was. Most people stand around gauking and won't even call 911.

A guy here was recently beaten to death when he intervened for two women that were being attacked. Another guy was shot just for trying to get some thugs to be quiet on a bus. Like I said, without my gun I wouldn't get physically involved either.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Subscribed.

Maybe people who are interested in being heroic should start carrying balaclavas, like those which law enforcement agents wear during raids. (Interesting how the cops in America don't want to be identified, much like the cops in places like Saddam's Iraq, Nazi Germany, etc..)

That way, if you see something going down, you can pull on your mask, shoot the attacker, then disappear without any witnesses able to describe you very well.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    If he was infact a felon, he should be given some leniency because he stopped the attack. Though it really depends on what he's a felon for.

Though in a situation like that with a man stabbing a woman, I don't think I would have bothered with the "Stop or I'll shoot" ultimatum. Move in close enough to be sure you don't hit the woman, check your background, and squeeze til he's dropped the knife or on the ground.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

If I had been the passer-by....I doubt I would have said anything before shooting the scum bag.

It's hard to claim self defense when the weapon you are using on a smaller woman is gasoline and a match.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I agree with not yelling anything. I believe I'd get close enough to get a good clear shot and go for it. One more stab could be the fatal one. Yelling for him to stop does'nt gaurantee he'll stop the attack or stay put until the cops arrive..Ya can't shoot him in the back if he runs. Of course state laws are different on when you can shoot someone. In Ky a person can shoot to protect another..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links