Man kills sledgehammer wielding intruder - Page 2

Man kills sledgehammer wielding intruder

This is a discussion on Man kills sledgehammer wielding intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good for him. A sledge hammer is certainly a lethal weapon....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man kills sledgehammer wielding intruder

Good for him. A sledge hammer is certainly a lethal weapon.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Buck, who works as a roofer, called 911 and calmly told police: “This guy broke into my house…He tried to kill me with a sledgehammer, sir…He is lying dead in my kitchen.
    Thats about how all home invasion 911 calls should end.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    No desire to cheer for a death?

I respectfully disagree.

This is not so much "a death" but a removal of a threat to peacable citizens.

I cheer no less for the death of this attempted murderer than I cheer for the removal of an oil spill that threatens the wildlife on a beach. The threat's presence was harmful and potentially dangerous to innocent beings, and now it's gone. Cheers!

"Brandenburg suffered a fatal gunshot to the head, three shots in the chest and a fifth shot in the left side"

What happened to the fourth shot?
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Count 'em:
    1 - fatal to the head
    2, 3, 4 - three to the chest
    5 - to the left side.

VIP Member
    Awe... poor hair ball! NOT!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...411/1056/COL02

HAMILTON - A Butler County grand jury declined Wednesday to indict a Hamilton man who shot and killed a sledgehammer-wielding home invader.

Inside his rented home on March 23, Jamie Buck, 33, fatally shot Millard Brandenburg, 31.

Buck told police a man burst into his home to demand money or jewelry after using a sledgehammer to shatter a side door window. Authorities identified the intruder as Brandenburg, who had been released from jail seven weeks earlier.

Buck, who told police he was hit in the head with the sledgehammer, was treated at Fort Hamilton Hospital. Brandenburg was shot five times in the head and torso, Butler County Coroner Richard Burkhardt said.

Brandenburg lived in Hamilton with his mother. During the past decade, he had been cited into Hamilton Municipal Court on more than two dozen offenses including traffic citations, ethnic intimidation, assault, resisting arrest and forgery. He served two state prison terms: for a drug conviction and failing to pay child support.

Early on, authorities said they believed this case was a legitimate example of self-defense.

In Ohio, a four-part test is used to prove whether a shooting is in self-defense: The person who shot did not cause the violent encounter; the person had reason to believe he was in imminent danger of great bodily harm; the person used reasonable force to repel the attack; and the person didn't violate a duty to retreat.

"I am satisfied with the grand jury's decision that this was a justified homicide," said Butler County Prosecutor Robin Piper. "A person in America is entitled to defend himself in his home."
    Grand jury decided not to pursue any charges agains the homeowner.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    No desire to cheer for a death?

I respectfully disagree.

This is not so much "a death" but a removal of a threat to peacable citizens.

I cheer no less for the death of this attempted murderer than I cheer for the removal of an oil spill that threatens the wildlife on a beach. The threat's presence was harmful and potentially dangerous to innocent beings, and now it's gone. Cheers!
    I agree. Suppose (yes, this is sci-fi, but bear with me) there's an asteroid hurtling towards the earth, threatening to destroy a city or more. The earth sends a weapon to the asteroid and destroys it, saving billions of human lives. Do we cheer for the destruction? Of course! It's just a lifeless rock anyway, not anything valuable. It's the same in this case. The BG may technically be human, but by his actions he's proven himself to be no better than a rabid animal, and probably worse since he arguably has more free will than an animal with a disease that affects its brain. There's nothing to feel bad about in his death, just like there's nothing to feel bad about in cleaning up toxic waste.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Why in the hell would the DA feel the need to send this case to the Grand Jury?

Is he or she too stupid to see the facts for himself? Or is there another, political, agenda at play here? Me thinks it's the latter.

a sledgehammer? he must really have a hard head. oh well, all's well that ends well. good for him.
    What's this button do?

The homeowner did an admirable job of defending himself despite what must have been a crazy headache and double vision from the hammer blow. Wow.

There is a Jewish Midrash (a story told by the Rabbis to explain or illuminate a troubling or unclear Biblical verse or account) that when the Pharoah's army was drowning in the Red Sea, the Israelites, already on the far shore, cheered. God said to them, "my children are dying and you would celebrate?" I would encourage our mindset to be "we carry guns for self defense and will use the force required to stop an attack, but we do not necessarily carry guns to kill people."

I would be very careful not to cheer another's death, even if it is a BG, on a public forum such as this. It could come back to haunt you later in a civil suit if you ever defend yourself with a firearm. An overzealous prosecutor could use your words to show that you celebrate shooting deaths and extrapolate that you are a reckless gun crazed killer just looking for a reason to shoot.

People forget that in our past we did use War Hammers and Maces as weapons, a sledge is a formidable "War Hammer"...

but hey, lets fry the guy with the gun, cause guns are bad.. mmm-kay... {/HURL

Because It Was Ohio-

"Why in the hell would the DA feel the need to send this case to the Grand Jury?"

No doubt the prosecutor is some kind of politically correct anti. This idiot probably plea bargains 90 percent of this cases against violent criminals.

No doubt the prosecutor is some kind of politically correct anti. This idiot probably plea bargains 90 percent of this cases against violent criminals.
    Actually this is an area where crime is taken care of pretty well in the sense of the legal system. Probably just went to the grand jury to make sure everything added up and possibly for protection in case of a further civil suit. Nationally 90% of all cases are pleas, regardless of the type of crime.

Hamilton, Ohio is rather conservative in its views, and the county has an extremely conservative sheriff who is tough on crime and doing a good job, but also just called for teachers to be armed in the state. Don't confuse it with urban Northern Ohio, which tends to be much more liberal
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Why in the hell would the DA feel the need to send this case to the Grand Jury?

Is he or she too stupid to see the facts for himself? Or is there another, political, agenda at play here? Me thinks it's the latter.
    Its called CYA. Its a homicide, justifiable, but still a homicide.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links