Gun Used In Self-Defense? Tell ABC (John Stossel)

This is a discussion on Gun Used In Self-Defense? Tell ABC (John Stossel) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is a chance to help prove just how valuable it is to have our CCW. Any of you that has used your gun to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Used In Self-Defense? Tell ABC (John Stossel)

Exclamation Gun Used In Self-Defense? Tell ABC (John Stossel)

Here is a chance to help prove just how valuable it is to have our CCW. Any of you that has used your gun to defend, send them the story. I fear that if they do not get many they may just assume that we do not need them and plant a negative story instead of a positive one.
    http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3015150
    Gun Used In Self-Defense? Tell '20/20'!
    April 6, 2007 Have you ever defended yourself from a crime in your home, in your business, or in public by using a gun? Perhaps you warded off a potential attacker by simply showing a gun?

40 states now allow their citizens to obtain conceal-carry permits for handguns. Some people say that's dangerous, while others say it allows them to protect themselves.

If you have a story of self-defense involving the aid of a gun and would like to tell it to 20/20, please fill out the form below. A "20/20" producer may contact you.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Wouldn't Waste My Time With 20-20...

My entire ed admin career was interwoven with reporters...nine times out of ten...the story was usually FUBAR...

If I had saved Mother Theresa with my Kimber from a biker gang...you can bet that 20-20 would somehow have had Mother Theresa scared by this nut with a GUN (that had a full magazine too)...thankfully the biker gang called the police and with 6 gang witnesses, the CCW'er was somehow the trouble maker...obviously creating a need to ban Kimbers...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have but the last thing I would want to do is sit in front of a camera and discuss it.
    The Marshmallowist

Does 20-20 tell the truth or do they just twist it to make us look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Does 20-20 tell the truth or do they just twist it to make us look bad.

I guess that would depend. I've seen John Stossel do truthful stroies on guns(not the standard "guns are bad stories") that is on TV media shows.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

Administrator
    I'm tempted to give them all kinds of crazy (bs) stories, but I guess the would check into them... at least I hope they would.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i have

But i will not be telling ABC. One would be nitpicked to death by the "moderator" and the ABC hand picked anti-self defense shill.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I have not, but I live in the kind of place (south Florida) where the need could easily arise on any given day in any given place. (That's my perception of it, anyway; and while I recognize that's true of just about anyplace, it's most especially true here.)

I would not be surprised if 20/20 tried to take every case of a DGU and turn it into a case of, "But why didn't he just call the police?" or "But why didn't he just give up the wallet and run away and let the bad guy have what he wanted? Why did he risk his life for fifty dollars?"

You know, the typical scenario that anti-gunners paint, in which all we have to do is trust the guy who is robbing us (!!!!?) to be kind and gentle and compassionate and not kill us once he has what he wants, and we'll walk away happy to be alive.

The sickness infesting this country (the world too?) is this absurd idea that we should always just give evil people what they want on the promise (illusory, usually) that they won't hurt us because we cooperated.

Really, all that creates is the understanding in the criminal that he can "have" us any time he wants, and we will always just agree to keep forking over our hard-earned whatever in order to save our skins; we will never fight back. Fighting back means we might actually take the life of the evil person; and in today's world, we're supposed to value the lives of evil people as morally equivalent to the lives of good people.

I'll fight back, that's sure. Will I tell my story to the news people? Not so sure.

Good Post

"The sickness infesting this country (the world too?) is this absurd idea that we should always just give evil people what they want on the promise (illusory, usually) that they won't hurt us because we cooperated."

Yes, the national policy of "just give them the airplane" worked so well on 9/11. i wanna puke-again.

Ron
    I don't know whether 20-20 has an anti-gun agenda for the show, but I believe that John Stossel is a Libertarian, has done shows opposing government regulation in the past, and I would be surprised if he would host the show with that kind of agenda. This being the media, however, I could, of course, be very wrong. But, it will be unfortunate if he intends to do an unbiased show, and because of the fear we are expressing , he doesn't get a cross section of good people willing to tell about their experiences.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I have had to use my firearm in defense before at home, but I don't think I would ever go on TV and tell the story. according to the local police, the four intruders had gang ties and the last thing I need is for a bunch of thugs to show up at my door wanting to get revenge because one of their little friends was killed.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Talking Defense gun

I like handgun's in 45lc and 410.I own two of them i load them with buckshot for the 410 with 45lc with two round ball's size to .452.they get the job done and safe to use in home.you don't have the rounds going thur the wall.

"I have had to use my firearm in defense before at home, but I don't think I would ever go on TV and tell the story. according to the local police, the four intruders had gang ties and the last thing I need is for a bunch of thugs to show up at my door wanting to get revenge because one of their little friends was killed."

Smart man.

I am a " member of the media" I'm a broadcast engineer. I have also been a Videographer(cameraman). Only the Correspondant and the Producer truly know their agenda. I do know that John Stossel seems to be a verry unbiased person. If you do decide to talk to 20/20 you will be probably be interviewed by a local freelance crew and a freelance producer. They will come to your home to interview you. They might even protect your identity if you want. You will call the shots. ie. no outside shots of your home, no pics of your family ect... We (law abiding gun owners) need intelligent representatives to do this interview. We do not need a rambo type in this piece. I don't want to pressure anyone on this forum, I just want to give you the information I have to try to ease some fears. Not all of us are "Bleeding Heart Liberals" I allways make sure to tell reporters and producers the facts about guns and try to get us a fair shake. If your on the fence about this talk to ABC and see what they want to do. You might not even get picked, but you might be the ambassador we need. BTW: I work for public TV now and have no affiliation with any of the major networks anymore.

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links