Man Uses Concealed Weapon To Stop Robbery

This is a discussion on Man Uses Concealed Weapon To Stop Robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Don't know if this has ever been posted here before, but I think every person with a CCW should watch this. http://kotv.com/e-clips/?id=5600...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Uses Concealed Weapon To Stop Robbery

Don't know if this has ever been posted here before, but I think every person with a CCW should watch this.

http://kotv.com/e-clips/?id=5600
    Last edited by 9mmMick; April 12th, 2007 at 02:29 PM.

2. Remove Ads

TPO
    Shooting someone will be with you forever. It matters not if done in war, Law Enforcement or self defense. You will carry the memories until you die. Some can "carry" the memories better than others. Be careful out there and walk with God. This man in the video clip had no choice (IMHO).

The stories attached to this are below...

KOTV - 4/11/2007 5:00 PM - Updated 4/11/2007 6:25 PM

A citizen shoots a robber during a grocery store heist. It happened more than a year ago in the Homeland store at 91st and Memorial. The man has never shared his story until now, and he spoke only to News On 6 crime reporter Lori Fullbright. She reports it was a tough decision for him to make.

It was split second and life or death. The man and his wife had been to the movies and stopped at the grocery store on the way home. They were in the check-out line when the robbery unfolded right in front of them. Joseph saw the men walk into the grocery store and head to the store office with the managers as they pulled their t-shirts over their faces.

Even though he spent 21 years in the military, and believes he made the right decision, it's hard for him to talk about.

"The gentleman I shot produced a handgun and placed it against the manager's head like this and I thought, I need to do something, so, it's harder to talk about, I pulled my weapon, sighted him and fired two shots," said Joseph.

He hit one of the robbers once. Michael Curly, dragged himself out of the store. Another suspect, Mark Brown, ran off. Both men were arrested months later.

Joseph had gotten his concealed carry permit 7 years earlier, and had practiced shooting regularly.

"The only time you can use deadly force is when you believe a life is at stake, and my belief was that manager was about to be killed and I had to do something about it," he said.

Joseph had a Smith and Wesson 357 revolver that night, with five shots and would've been outgunned had the robber shot back. Now, he carries a glock 357 semi-auto with 14 rounds and a laser site.

"I don't regret having shot him,” Joseph said. “I also am pleased he didn't die, for a couple of reasons. Nobody likes to take a life and the other is, maybe he'll tell his friends they need to think twice, or three times about doing what they've been doing."

Joseph never faced any charges in the case, and police returned his gun to him a week later. The man he shot had been given a 40 year prison sentence in 1995 for crimes in Oklahoma City that involved rape, robbery, torture and scalding, but he got out after serving only eight. He is now testifying against other robbers so he hasn't been sentenced for this crime yet.

The story can be found at; http://kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=124857
    Surveillance pictures of a Tulsa store shooting
    KOTV - 3/21/2006 10:10 AM - Updated 3/22/2006 4:42 PM

Tulsa robbery detectives hope someone recognizes the man who was shot Saturday during a robbery and seen lying on the ground.

Tulsa Police say the man who was shot and a second man was trying to rob the Homeland near 91st and Memorial Saturday evening, when a customer in line, shot one of the robbers.

Police say the customer was legally carrying a concealed weapon and the shooting is within the law. Detectives are now looking for the two robbery suspects. They believe the one who was shot in the chest is seriously injured and needs medical attention or could die.

Even though you can't make out the man's face, police hope someone recognizes his clothing and can point them in the right direction. You can call Crimestoppers at 596-COPS with any information.

The story can be found at; http://kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=100942
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Assistant Administrator
    Very revealing interview .. and the good guy was indeed the epitome of a good guy.

Despite knowing his total justification it is obvious he still finds talking about it hard. A reminder to us all that we must have an adequate mind set.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Very revealing interview .. and the good guy was indeed the epitome of a good guy.

Despite knowing his total justification it is obvious he still finds talking about it hard. A reminder to us all that we must have an adequate mind set.

I'd like to also add that in the video, I believe he says that he practices
    every 2 or 3 months.
    I personally think that once a month is the least anyone should target practice.
    You never know if you might be in this kind of situation.
    I'm really glad for this guy that there was no return fire.
    Last edited by 9mmMick; April 12th, 2007 at 03:25 PM.

While apparent that parts of the interview were cut, I can appreiate the journalist's demeanor and positive support of some of his points as well. I suppose there was good reason he chose her for the interview.

Senior Moderator
    Maybe the guy requested it, but I think some of the impact was lost by not being able to see his face.

I already made my passionate rant about mindset so I won't do it again, but I think the video is a fabulous depiction that honest, good people who are forced to use their weapons for self-defense or the defense of others are not happy about it or just out there for the thrill of killing. It has an impact on them and they feel what they have done.

Thank you for posting the video. More people should watch it!

Everyone who is a member of this board or wants to be a member of this board should have to watch this video... it completely and accurately describes what and how most of us would probibly feel and how it is not about just carrying so we can kill... he chose to make a concous decision to save a life and knew his action could result in the death of another humanbeing. it was a very moving interview.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I live in Tulsa and remember this night.

Our governor has just signed into law the extension to the "Make My Day" law, now called the "Stand Your Ground Law".You can now apply deadly force, if have to, anywhere you are in Oklahoma and be immune from civil or criminal suits if found to be justified in your actions.

But the BGs are running wild here in Oklahoma still.Home invasions have been rampant here lately.The last 2 weeks its been robbery,by firearms,of people in apartment buildings.2 or 3 a night.Robberies of retail.A pawn shop worker was murdered this past week by 3 men attempting to steal jewelry in broad daylight in the afternoon and shot the clerk as they were leaving.He died at the scene.Citizens have been shooting back though here and there.A few of the home invasions and carjackings citizens have shot and killed a few BGs.Then theres the Homeland incident.Its crazy.

I carry everywhere I legally can.Period.Locked and loaded.Ready for action.I look out for myself wherever I am and those around me.I cant even be in a movie theatre anymore without wondering who in the theatre is going to do something to someone.As a working musician I am out and about late at night all over the region.Its a scary feeling out there sometimes.And even on stage I dont feel safe anymore when playing.Knowing that the musician I so closely relate to,Darrell "Dimebag" Abbot, was murdered ON STAGE playing his guitar 4 years ago by a guncarrying disgruntled fan .

I had a friend not too many years ago shot and killed outside a bar in Tulsa not wanting to give up his wallet.By 3 'kids' who made the wrong decision that night.

When is it going to stop?Probably never.Its a world of the haves and the have nots.Its the laziest members of our society who want to take from us hardworking law abiding citizens,or just hurt us or kill us for whatever reason.

We should be responsible for our actions as legal gun carrying law abiding citizens, yes.We should have morals and feel that life has meaning and taking a life is the ultimate decision there is,yes.But we dont have to take it anymore.It is our own responsibility to protect ourselves, and our loved ones and anyone else we have to, from these people,not the police.They dont have to protect us.Sometimes they cant be there quick enough to protect us.Check your morals and spirituality and decide before strapping a firearm on and leave the house if you have it in you to take a life if it comes down to it.Dont carry it with you unless you plan to use it to KILL.If you dont have it in you,dont carry it.Its pretty simple really.Having it on you for comfort and safety without the grit to really use it, is worthless and a false sense of security.

I think as CCW permit holders practice is required.Extra training also.No one ever knows too much.Repetition of movement.Over and over and over.Maintaining your equipment and having firearms that are in perfect working order also.Knowing your weapon inside and out.Shooting your carry loads at practices in addition to your plinking loads.If its too much expense or too much work or too much moral or legal responsibility for you to carry, then dont carry.This isnt for everybody.Just because you are legal to do it and have the means to purchase the equipment and training,doesnt mean you have the mindset for it.If you get all of your equipment,training, then the permit;and when it comes down to it in a bad situation you freeze or morally just cant pull that trigger on the bad person,you may die,or get others killed.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Being from Tulsa and having worked there as a LEO before transfering to Texas, this story is awsome. A good guy, stand up and I hope that he has a great support netword to get through this. This video is a year after his shooting and it obviously still effects him, but I'm glad he came through ok and notice his word that he instead of carrying a small snubby (like he used) he now carries a semi with more fire power and a laser sight. Something to think about.

The only statment that he made in the interview that I cringed when I heard it (and thankfully its a year later) was that he wouldnt ever shoot to wound (good statement) but that he'd shoot to kill (bad statement). I know its been beat down but our words can be used against us...shoot to "stop" is much better in a legal phrase.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

this should be required viewing for people who CCW. very thoughtful, moving video.

WOW. I just watched the video. A real wake up call.

I'm glad that he is doing ok and I know he will remember that night forever.

I just hope it will open the eyes of people that walks around in condition white all the time. Stay safe.

Wow... thanks for the link

This is worth watching again and again.... say every 3 months or so? Here's a man of conviction, courage and passion. A true american hero and clear example of what I hope we all aspire to.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Never talk to the press. EVER!

Good man, Good call. He seems very troubled by the ordeal a whole year later. PTSD? I wish him well and hope that even though he "won" the fight, that this scumbag hasn't cost him the rest of his live's worth of inner peace.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links