A boy dies, and a gun debate is reignited

This is a discussion on A boy dies, and a gun debate is reignited within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Live by the sword, die by the sword. Cleveland is the anus of Ohio....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A boy dies, and a gun debate is reignited

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Cleveland is the anus of Ohio.

2. Remove Ads

Toby Hoover, of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, said she had not heard of any other fatal shooting involving a concealed-carry permit holder.
    O yeah, another point, and not just because I really really don't like this "lady", but this is the third time that a CHL holder has shot and killed someone while defending themselves since Ohio passed the CHL law 3 years ago.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3688.html
    http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/3861/83/

There is more on the story without the anti-gun slant, both good Ohio pro-gun organizations.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

This is just horrible. That kid was only 15 years old; he didn't deserve to die! He wasn't going to hurt that man anyway. If we banned guns, this terrible tragedy wouldn't have happened. How could that homeowner be so callous as to take the kid's life?

Oh, forget it. I'm trying to sound obviously ridiculous and it's coming out exactly the way these people are earnestly talking.

Sometimes I think everyone should have to take a government test that gauges their philosophy about crime and criminals. If they're the type that feels sorry for kids like this, wants to coddle criminals, wouldn't defend themselves against attackers, etc., then if they're ever the victim of a crime, the police can just look up their test results and say, "sorry ma'am, your test shows that you don't believe in punishing rapists, so we're not going to bother investigating your rape."

I believe this is a travesty of justice from Mr. Damon Wells part.

He missed the other thug.

Assistant Administrator
    this is the third time that a CHL holder has shot and killed someone while defending themselves since Ohio passed the CHL law 3 years ago.
    I truly wonder if ''they'' would rather read this as ''Three innocent victims shot and killed'' in that time frame. I guess ''they'' would.

There should be something like we seem to see in UK ....... a "support the criminal" mindset.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

pax
    When the teenager pulled the gun out and threatened the man, he made the most important choice of the day: he decided that someone was going to die.

The man who was attacked did not have that choice. He wasn't the one who decided that someone was going to die, because that choice had already been made by the attacker. The only choice available to him was whether or not he would be the one who died.

Sucky story, really. A heartbreaker. You know what? My 15-year-old son cleaned the living room for me yesterday, without being asked.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Live by the sword, die by the sword....big boy rules.

His grieving parents, relatives, and friends should have impressioned the above fact of life upon that boy and he'd maybe made better choices in life that would have kept him living.
    But, as based on results they did not and the results of as much are tragic but they are what they are.
    I personally would rather a law abiding citizen victim survive than a predator even as he might have been just 15 yrs. old.
    BTW he, the 15 yr. old, choose to employ a disparity of force including opposing numbers as well as a loaded not a toy firearm too.

As a child my mother taught me the following passage from our family bible; "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." - Matthew 7:120
    This predator child did unto others as he would have had others which include his victimized prey do unto him, and he got just that as a result.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ron
    I know that it helps to keep our blood pressure under control when we vent our frustrations about stuff like this on the Forum, but, as we are all aware, we are preaching to the choir. I am not suggesting we stop these posts, they are good stuff, but why don't we also put them in letters to the editor, that is if we are not already doing so.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

the only pity i feel is for the poor guy that had to make the decision to end a 15 year old boy's life. taking a life is hard enough, but taking a dumb kid's life ...i'm just glad it wasn't me. and if the kid had any siblings, i hope they learn their lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I truly wonder if ''they'' would rather read this as ''Three innocent victims shot and killed'' in that time frame. I guess ''they'' would.
    I'm sure they do read it that way.

Even worse, I'm pretty sure justified shootings like this also get added to the "gun deaths" statistics that anti-gun people are always spewing. "There's x0,000 gun deaths per year in the US! That's too many!" "But how many of those were criminals being killed in the commission of a crime?" "It doesn't matter! They shouldn't have been killed!" :rolleyes2:

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

I am confused,

So,the young man who was shot,his family seems to be angry the homeowner was found innocent of a crime and set free.Does the family of the young man wish the homeowner would have died? I notice many criminals relatives always remove the consequences and the responsibility of one's actions from the situation.

No doubt that the family of the deceased little criminal will sue the shooter. i can see it now: "He was turning his life around and wanted to be a brain surgeon."

JD
    Administrator
    Everyone sing it with me....

Another one bites the dust
    And another one gone, and another one gone
    Hey, I'm gonna get you too

Booo hooo a BG died (because of what he chose to do) & a law abiding citizen lived. Sounds good to me thats how it should be, those hoodlums will probaly run that man out of his neighborhood now...

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    This shooting has re-ignited a gun debate only in the imagination of the Plain-BS-Dealer's editor.

Elsewhere in Ohio, people don't GAF about some inner city scumbag now pushing daisies.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links