This happened to me in 1994 - Page 2

This happened to me in 1994

This is a discussion on This happened to me in 1994 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello, sir. As we say in Texas, "Ya' done good." I wish more folks showed both the good sense and backbone that you did. Best....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1951 - 2011
    Hello, sir. As we say in Texas, "Ya' done good." I wish more folks showed both the good sense and backbone that you did.

Best.

VIP Member
    Mike, well done, sir! I always like the stories where the good guy wins without firing a shot. Agree with you and others that had the situation been a little different, i.e. BG had a gun or no counter, it would have been a shoot first and ask questions late time.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Good for you brother....
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Moderator
    I agree with your decisions and your hind sight changes are helpful to us all.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post

She also got her carry permit shortly after that incident.

This story belongs in a BOOK somewhere -- particularly with an ending like that!

Great job, mike. chalk one up for the good guys.

Mike, you did bring up a good point about maybe letting the cavalry know what you look like and such to avoid any potential mishaps. how did you and the deputies handle the transition from you covering the BG and them taking the responsibility of securing the BG? did they ask you to lower your weapon or back away? just curious. thanks.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Great Job Mike.

Can you tell me... has your mother-in-law ever gone ahead and gotten her CCW permit? I hope so, but won't hold it against her if she hasn't.

I'm just curious if she considered the event was enough for her to start going armed herself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

See post #20.

(And for the record, if she hadn't gone and armed herself after living through that kind of experience, I would "hold it against her," as I would hold it against anyone who stares victimhood right in the face once and then decides it's preferable over preparing oneself to fight.)

Yes, she has had her ccw permit since just a few weeks after that. She usually carries a Bersa Thunder in .380 but has asked me recently of my thoughts on the Kahr so I am hopeful that she may transition to one of those soon.

Thanks for the good job words guys. Just one of those things you know? Didn't really think anything like that would happen but I did think about it enough that when the time came, I didn't have to think about it, I just kind of flipped to auto pilot and everything worked out.

When the Deputies showed up, they ordered me to put my gun down and I did, on a counter to my left and then explained what had happened. My Mother in Law confirmed everything while they were cuffing the robber. One of the deputies took possession of my gun for a few minutes until everything was sorted out and then returned it to me when it was time to take my written statement.

All of the deputies told me I had done a good job.

The worst part of the whole thing is that the robber just would not shut up while he was on the floor. In the 3 minutes or so it took the deputies to get there this guys mouth worked a mile a minute. No matter how many times I told him to just be quiet and wait for the police he just wouldn't stop telling me how it was all a mistake and he wasn't robbing the place and how I would get into trouble for pointing the gun at him. He tried everything he could think of to get me to second guess my decision. But I knew what had happened and just kept him at gun point until the deputies arrived.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; May 6th, 2007 at 02:03 AM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Several points here....
    Happy ending In-law safe from Outlaw!
    Mom N Law now a pro 2A carrying individual!
    Massive points with wife for saving Mom's life, you cannot buy that kind of appreciation.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Maybe you shoulda told him, "Go 'head and spew all the nonsense you want about how you weren't trying to rob the store; but move an inch, and you're an aggressive armed robber and I will kill you there on the floor."

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Good ending glad to hear it.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links