A very interesting Poll

This is a discussion on A very interesting Poll within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I belong to a internet group consisting of both singles and couples in Iowa and Minnesota (both slight left leaning states). This group has absolutly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very interesting Poll

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

A very interesting Poll

I belong to a internet group consisting of both singles and couples in Iowa and Minnesota (both slight left leaning states). This group has absolutly nothing to do with guns in any way. I ran a poll which asked this question and got the following response.

How do you feel about (CCW) concealed carry weapons?

I have my permit and am usually armed 28.4% (29)

Iím thinking of getting my CCW permit 26.5% (27)

I think itís a good thing, just not for me 25.5% (26)

Iím afraid of guns 5.9% (6)

I donít even want to associate with people that feel they need to carry a gun 13.7% (14 )

Total Votes: 102

I never expected this result especialy in these two states. Just very interesting and to me it is a success story

2. Remove Ads

Wow!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    That's a pretty good sign. By the way welcome
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

1943 - 2009
    Iím afraid of guns 5.9% (6)
    I'm not a psychologist, and I don't play one on TV, but I simply can't understand how anyone, especially an adult, could be afraid of an inanimate object. It just doesn't make sense. I know there are people like this, because I've met a few.

A checker at my local grocery store is one. When she scanned the price on a gun magazine I was buying, she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was afraid of guns because they were evil, she would never allow guns in her house, guns were only good for killing people, yadda, yadda, yadda, on and on. For once, I was speechless. I didn't even try to argue with her. I damn sure didn't tell her I was carrying. That would have really freaked her out!

If someone's fear of a tool, which is what a firearm is, after all, is this irrational, then no argument is going to convince them otherwise.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

This fear of guns is usually because the people just have never been around or used guns. Someone once said a conservative is a liberal that has been mugged. I think it is the same way with the people with phobias about guns. If a gun ever saved them then their attitude would change. It is true thatn guns can be characterized as awesome tools and tools for the evil and the good. We, as gun owners and advocates of gun ownership and use, must present ourselves as the good paradigm. We have to emphasize safety in gun handling and not do the redneck attitude with people who are ready to stereotype us at the drop of a hat. I can legally shoot in my three acre yard in the country but my neighbor does not like it so I respect their wishes and go to a range.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Hypocrites

A lot of "lefties" are supreme hypocrites when it comes to guns. These people are such phonies.

It's "fashionable" to be anti-gun if you're a liberal. But in an anonomyous poll, a lot of them will admit to at least owning a gun.

A number of years ago, the now-deceased, liberal, anti-gun Washington columnist Carl Rowan shot a teenager at night at his townhome and never went to jail for it, although that's exactly what he had espoused in his writings.

http://www.tincher.to/rowan.htm

Rosie O'Donnell, another gun hypocrite, has armed bodyguards.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15370

Like a lot of these folks, they apparently believe that only the "little people" should be denied the right to be protected by private firearms.

A checker at my local grocery store is one. When she scanned the price on a gun magazine I was buying, she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was afraid of guns because they were evil, she would never allow guns in her house, guns were only good for killing people, yadda, yadda, yadda, on and on.

I would invite her to go shooting. A lot of people fear the unknown.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    ......When she scanned the price on a gun magazine I was buying, she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was afraid of guns because they were evil, she would never allow guns in her house, guns were only good for killing people, yadda, yadda, yadda, ....
    These days, there's no common sense in the common man. For the vast majority of sheeple, everything they know, they learned from TV.

How often have you heard the TV weatherwonk, say something like,"It's going to be a cold one tonight, better cover those outdoor plants and be sure the kids have their coats on tomorrow morning."

The media types are almost uniformly liberal and anti-gun, so the sheeple are the same.

The "average" person is intellectually lazy these days and has lost the ability to think for themself; depending upon the media to tell them what to think.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Looks like you have a good representation on your forum.

The fear part can come from a lot of different places, but I think in most cases it starts early. The few people I know who actually do really fear guns were the ones whose parents were the "I would never have or use a gun, and I despise anyone who does" types and created a huge taboo for their kids.

As kids grow up, the rebel desire to break the taboos set for them changes, and they are left with nearly the same mindset as their parents, but no justification for it, any more than people who are deathly afraid of cockroaches. (Roaches are actually a lot scarier. They can move all by themselves!)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    A checker at my local grocery store is one. When she scanned the price on a gun magazine I was buying, she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was afraid of guns because they were evil, she would never allow guns in her house, guns were only good for killing people, yadda, yadda, yadda, on and on.

I had a checker chastise me for a comment I made to my wife while on vacation. Had to do with idiotic local laws on when you can and can't buy beer. I'm not normally a beer drinker, but I like to have a few on vacation.

I usually let things slide off my back, but I let her know in no uncertain terms that she could keep her unwelcome comments to herself. Threw in something about letting the manager know that she was harrassing a customer. I hope you did the same.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

"Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" Ė Napoleon
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Quote Originally Posted by Murexway View Post
    A lot of "lefties" are supreme hypocrites when it comes to guns. These people are such phonies.

It's "fashionable" to be anti-gun if you're a liberal. But in an anonomyous poll, a lot of them will admit to at least owning a gun.

A number of years ago, the now-deceased, liberal, anti-gun Washington columnist Carl Rowan shot a teenager at night at his townhome and never went to jail for it, although that's exactly what he had espoused in his writings.

http://www.tincher.to/rowan.htm

Rosie O'Donnell, another gun hypocrite, has armed bodyguards.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15370

Like a lot of these folks, they apparently believe that only the "little people" should be denied the right to be protected by private firearms.
    Grandma' said it best: "The loudest squeals, come from the biggest hogs." It will always be this way. I would like to see legislation that would read do as you preach. If you oppose gun ownership, then you are not allowed to own one also. If you are opposed to an individual right of self defense, then you are not allowed to have armed body guards defending you. May be then they will get a clue.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    A checker at my local grocery store is one. When she scanned the price on a gun magazine I was buying, she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was afraid of guns because they were evil, she would never allow guns in her house. . .
    Ask her what she would do if someone brought a gun into her house by force.

Sure, she has a house rule that people are not allowed to bring guns there. But what if someone forcibly disobeys the rule? It's all well and good as long as visitors are compliant.

When they're not. . . Heh. That's when a person gets a short time to realize the stupidity of her position, and probably wishes for a gun of her own.

[edit: That brings up an interesting thought, now. If someone is about to be shot to death, or has just been shot and is dying, do you think they lie there still thinking, "Damned GUN! OH I wish they had banned those things! That damned GUN killed me!" or do you think maybe they're mad at the PERSON who shot them? Do you think they waste time being angry at the presence of guns in society, or do you think they are more likely to be cursing the psychotic individual who did the harm?]

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post

I tried to do that once, back on Long Island, with a girl I was involved with briefly.

We packed up my stuff and drove out to the Calverton shooting range, a big outdoor range adjacent to a gravel quarry.

When we pulled up to the gate near the road, we were stopped by a suffolk county cop who told us we couldn't go in; some guy had shot himself to death with a shotgun.

I don't remember if it was believed to have been a suicide or an accident (this happened in 1995). But the girl, who had been nervous about shooting to begin with, took it as a "sign" that we shouldn't have been going shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocolo View Post
    I would like to see legislation that would read do as you preach. If you oppose gun ownership, then you are not allowed to own one also. If you are opposed to an individual right of self defense, then you are not allowed to have armed body guards defending you. May be then they will get a clue.

Hear hear!! +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links