My most unforgetable survival story

This is a discussion on My most unforgetable survival story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a survival story I will never forget. While working as a paramedic in a very dangerous part of Metro Kansas City, I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My most unforgetable survival story

This is a survival story I will never forget. While working as a paramedic in a very dangerous part of Metro Kansas City, I was sent out on a shooting call at about 0100 hours. When we arrived we found a male in his 20s in the back seat of a car with a very neat and lethal entrance wound in his temple and the large exit out the other side. Powder burns showed it was at close range. As we told the police there was nothing that could be done for him, we were informed there was another victim…. the shooter. We were being directed to a City Power truck where in the front seat was a very frail and very battered little old lady. Her first question was, “Is he all right?” I didn’t wish to tell her as we were helping her to our ambulance, but my partner, being very inexperienced at the time told her the man was dead. She began to collapse. We got her to the stretcher and began to assess her wounds. Major facial trauma and marks around her neck showing she was being strangled. As we traveled to the hospital…. she wanted to tell me what happened. I was glad to listen.
    She was the widow of a Highway Patrolman who had died a few years prior. She had many health problems including cancer and was just waiting her time to join her husband. Once a month when she received her check, she would go up late at night and buy one coke, one candy bar, and one magazine. When she left the convenience store she didn’t realize that someone had gotten into her back seat…. that neighborhood had been where she had lived safely for decades. The young man popped up as she was driving and began using his fists to beat her about the head. She stopped the car as the man wrapped an article of clothing around her neck and began to strangle her. She begged for her life, telling him to take her car and money. He retorted that he would, after he killed her…he had done it before.
    Sidebar: There was a rash of elderly being killed and no one had any idea who was doing it.
    She realized he meant it and as he went into a killing frenzy…. she got her late husband’s service revolver from under the seat…loaded in one bullet…. and pulled the trigger until it hit the chamber with the bullet. The thug seemed so engrossed in killing her slowly he didn’t even realize what she was doing…until the gun went BAM…and he was gone. Being in shock, she immediately tried to give him aide and then went to find HIM help.
    All the way to the hospital she kept saying how sorry she was. I kept telling her that I wasn’t sorry that she had won that battle. She had a right to her life and no one had a right to take it. Everyone told her that at the ER. Doctors, nurses, police, and the two of us told her how happy we were that she was alive and NO ONE would hold it against her for the actions she took. City Prosecutor got out of bed and came and talked to her…telling her that what she did was lawful, her late husband would have been proud, and she probably saved the lives of others who would have been victims of this predator had he not been killed.
    I stayed by her side for a couple of hours until her relatives arrived. She asked me if I thought God would be angry with her. I told her that when she went to meet her husband, God would be there to tell her, ”You did what you had to do. It was your right to keep your life until I called.” A few months later, God did call her and I imagine the hug she received from her husband and the pride in his eyes. She left on God’s terms... not some soulless thug’s.
    Last edited by Spirit51; May 5th, 2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: replace word

VIP Member
    Wow, good story.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Ron
    What a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. With all of the terrible things going on in the world these days, I need a story like that every so often to help lift my spirits.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Nice Story...

I like stories with great endings...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    great story. glad to hear the innocent person won in the end.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing the story
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Uplifting story, yes.

But I still wonder about the mindset that cares so much about cruel, soulless thugs who murder innocents. What's up with that?

Senior Moderator
    FABULOUS story. Please tell me this story is being published in newspapers around your community and hopefully the nation. Most people should hear about her compassion and kindness and will to survive.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    FABULOUS story. Please tell me this story is being published in newspapers around your community and hopefully the nation. Most people should hear about her compassion and kindness and will to survive.

Thank you so much for sharing.
    Agreed. I want to send this to some people, if I can find an article about it.

WOW, what a story. Glad she had the presence of mind to get the gun and kill her attacker. He deserved just what he got, sorry she had to be so troubled by her actions to save her own life.

Thank you.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Great Story, I am sure this was published in some newspaper somewhere. Can you point us to where it would have been covered? The media wouldn't have let that story go!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Agreed. I want to send this to some people, if I can find an article about it.
    No published article. It is from my experience as a Paramedic/Firefighter for 15 years. I wrote it....I lived it. Only written report is the one I did for my department at the time of the incident. Feel free to use this though.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I have several stories of survival in my history. One woman who was a security guard at one of our hospitals made a wrong choice in men...a felon fresh out of prision. They had a arguement one night and he grapped her service revolver and began shooting....he killed one of her three children and shot her three times. She got her backup and killed him before he could kill anymore.
    My daughter has wanted me to write a book about my experiences and maybe I will. 15 years in a very high crime area gives many different experiences. The Highway Patrolman's widow was the one that really sticks out in my mind and still brings tears to my eyes.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Moderator
    Got called to the local mall for the "injured person after the assault", with additional that the subject was bleeding from the head.

Arrived on scene to find a young male in his late teens with lots of nasty looking abrasions and lacerations on his scalp and face. Mall security and several police cars were on the scene as well.

The young man was in handcuffs, and being quite belligerent. Lots of profanity, telling everyone there he was going to beat our butts (not his term) when he got out of the cuffs, etc.

Also in the scene, seated in the front seat of a city police car, was a woman in her late 60s, with a couple of abrasions on her elbows.

Seems the esteemed citizen in the cuffs was waiting under her car, and when she came to open the door, he tried to yank her legs out from under her, steal her purse and run away.

I guess one out of three ain't bad.

He pulled her off balance, and grabbed her purse. It had rained a bit earlier, so she had her collapsable umbrella in her hand, along with the purse. He yanked the purse out of her hand, but the umbrella was retained via the wrist strap.

She then commenced to beat six kinds of snot out of the charming young man with the umbrella. She beat him to the point that the umbrella was in tatters, with little bits of sharp metal (the ribs of the umbrella canopy) sticking out of it like a pincushion. Hence the wide variety of lacerations about his head.

While we are trying to bandage his various leaks, he is telling us how he is going to come get us when he gets out of the hospital, etc. At this point, one of the city PD supervisors leans in and advises him that "look, punk, you just got whipped by a 60 year old woman. Nobody here is afraid of you."

He got all pouty and looked like he was going to cry. Didn't say a word all the way to the hospital.

EMS - a front row seat to the greatest show on earth.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links