Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns

This is a discussion on Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; phaed, as the thread-starter I have to say that I am surprised to find out that one of our members was the one involved. It ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns

VIP Member
    phaed, as the thread-starter I have to say that I am surprised to find out that one of our members was the one involved. It is a situation we wish we never have to face and I cannot tell you how happy I am that you are OK. Thank you so much for coming out and tell us what happened. I am sure many like me just aquired a new respect for the Armed Citizen Success Stories we post here.
    God Bless you and you know you have our support.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post

I am the shooter. i haven't spoken publicly about this until recently.
    Well done, glad no charges were filed and you got all your gear back.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Notice how they had to state the SKS was similar to an AK47 Assault Rifle. They never give up do they.

Come on guys.... there's a "K" in both the names..... That's similar, isn't it?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

phaed, I'm glad you came out OK.

A clear head and good judgment proved itself that day. It is unfortunate that most BG's out there don't weigh the consequences of their actions. That BG obviously thought he was in the clear if he was coming back for more valubles. He found a few high powered rounds instead. God bless you man and take care...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Sorry about my flippant post above, I hadn't read all the way through the thread before posting that.

Phaed... First of all I commend you for posting the details here. Taking a life in that manner, is definitely not the same as combat action, however your training no doubt helped you during the ordeal and hopefully in dealing with the aftermath.

It was absolutely a dangerous situation and he absolutely could have been armed with your .45 or your Glock.

I hope you are not having a hard time dealing with the neighbors or with any post shooting stress.

Thanks again for posting your experience... I certainly learned something and thanks for your service in the armed forces. I have a buddy who just returned home from Iraq Monday and still have a nephew flying Apache's in the "Stan."

Thanks again, and I love your Avitar!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1943 - 2009
    Captain, thank you for sharing your story. It removes all doubt from my mind and answers the concerns I had, which were based on the original news report.

I'm glad you're OK and that you're still with us.

Stay safe and thanks again.

Another thought: How did the Army react to this? I hope they didn't give you any grief over it.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 6th, 2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Another thought

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

thanks for the kind words and support. know that this did not create any undue stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Another thought: How did the Army react to this? I hope they didn't give you any grief over it.
    full support. made sure i had anything i needed (which was nothing).

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    told me to tighten my shot group.
    Nice!

phaed, I think you did a good job. Definitely don't get caught without a weapon on you again if you can help it!

phaed, thanks for your post. This is a good example of how the media distorts the truth. Then we here armchair quarterbacked it.
    Let this be a leson to all of us here to never assume things or believe the media blurbs untill truth is known.

I comend you for you candor.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I finally got to read this post and my response is "wow." That's an amazing story.

I don't know exactly how to tread, when it comes to discussing this kind of thing with the very person who had to do it.

Phaed, thank you for your actions. I don't feel that the criminal you vanquished deserves any pity. As you said, he fits a profile that is making life very dangerous in my area as well as yours (and many other people's as well). No socially redeeming anything. Pure thug, through and through; as you said, he lied right up to the end of his life -- as though what, you were going to believe him?! (What an idiot.)

It's funny that you say he protested that he was "turning his life around." They must teach them that line in the joint. The strange thing is you heard it right from the dying criminal, instead of from his grieving incompetent mother later on.

You did society a favor that day, Phaed. I hope you are dealing well with what you had to do, psychologically, legally, financially, etc. Best wishes to you, along with my respect and gratitude. Our society needs far more like you.

phaed, job well done. You showed us what it is to be calm and clear headed in a tough situation. I'm glad it turned out for the best for you.

And, it isn't bad for the rest of us to have one less scumbag in the world. Sorry you had to take a life but, that all gets put on the scumbag. If he had not decided to burglarize your home, he would still be alive today. He ended his own life not you.

I am also glad to hear that the Army supported you on this.

Thanks for sharing and thank you for your service to our country.

One question though, how have the parents of the scumbag reacted to this?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Did the police know the criminal; was he a gang member? Not to make you paranoid, but protect yourself against reprisal attacks against you personally. I think I would make arrangements with base security to be allowed to conceal carry to the main gate, checking your weapon with the gate guards while you're actually on base, at least for a couple of months.

Wink Not a call the security guys can make...

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Did the police know the criminal; was he a gang member? Not to make you paranoid, but protect yourself against reprisal attacks against you personally. I think I would make arrangements with base security to be allowed to conceal carry to the main gate, checking your weapon with the gate guards while you're actually on base, at least for a couple of months.
    IIRC that determination can only be made by the Post commander or possibly by the major unit commander of the post. Security/MP/CID they can't make a call like that. I'm glad I'm no longer on active duty. This wouldn't even be an issue on the Fort Lewis I served at in the 1980s. I was a staff puke towards the end of my tour and those guys would have a HQ "pool" going on the situation, if it was me subjected to this. I don't even wanna think about how my buddies in the Ranger Bn would be reacting....forum member OPFOR would know....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links