Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns

This is a discussion on Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns POSTED: 6:42 am EDT May 4, 2007 AUGUSTA, Ga. -- A man authorities say had broken into an Army ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns

VIP Member

Post Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns

Soldier Shoots, Kills Burglar Stealing Guns

POSTED: 6:42 am EDT May 4, 2007

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- A man authorities say had broken into an Army officer's home in Augusta to steal guns was shot to death by the Iraq war veteran, who had come home early.

Richmond County Sheriff's Investigator Thomas Johnson says Captain Barre Bollinger told police he returned from work around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and found his house had been ransacked.

Bollinger, who is stationed at Fort Gordon, entered his bedroom and noticed that guns were missing.

Johnson says the soldier grabbed his SKS rifle, a weapon similar to an AK-47 assault rifle, and called 911.

Johnson said while on the phone with 911, Bollinger saw the suspect approaching his back door and fired at him three times.

Twenty-nine-year-old Errol Lavar Royal was shot at least twice in the stomach area. He was later pronounced dead at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Police say Royal lived with his parents near the home that was burglarized. A search of his home turned up two guns taken from Bollinger's house and marijuana.

Police had no immediate plans to charge Bollinger in the shooting
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Johnson said while on the phone with 911, Bollinger saw the suspect approaching his back door and fired at him three times.
    I don't know, I have to wonder about this one. The report is pretty sketchy, to say the least.

How did Bollinger know that Royal was the suspect? If he was only "approaching" the back door, how does that justify deadly force?

Bollinger's guns turned up in Royal's house, but I'm wondering how Bollinger could have known that before he shot him?

There has to be more to this story.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

It's not the first time this has happened. The very first time DELTA Force was used in actual combat (the failed hostage rescue in Iran under Carter) the troops were briefed and sent home for a few hours to gather some gear. One of the OPERATORS walked into his apt and came face to face with a burglar. An ARMED burglar. The Operator smoothly drew a 9mm Hi-Power and drilled the bad guy just once right thru the heart. He picked up what he needed and went to work. Left the body right where it had dropped. COL Beckwith (Delta Commander) took care of the cleanup and raised the issue with the other operators before the mission lifted. The Operator who fired didn't much like that but he was reassured after the COL praised him for doing the job just like he'd have to do it on the mission. Well THAT never worked out....but they were ready.

When I got to my first duty station (1981), my first day of reporting into my company I gave my new commander a ride to his home over in Gig Harbor. We were walking in the front door as the burglar was climbing out the back window. My new boss, Mr West Point grad, airborne ranger wanted to go charging in after they guy but I caught him by the arm and asked: Sir? You armed? I just got here and don't have my concealed permit yet, so I'm NOT. What if this dude has a gun? He calmed down and opined he thought I was going to work out well in the outfit. I just wish it could have gone like the other incident. That would have been very kewl for a brand new screwy looie.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I don't know, I have to wonder about this one. The report is pretty sketchy, to say the least.

How did Bollinger know that Royal was the suspect? If he was only "approaching" the back door, how does that justify deadly force?

Bollinger's guns turned up in Royal's house, but I'm wondering how Bollinger could have known that before he shot him?

There has to be more to this story.
    I wondered about this too. Hopefully, more will come out about this.

Lead Moderator
    Yea, shot him approaching the back door, that does sound like it could be trouble if there isn't more to the story.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Well the news won't report everything. Obviously the Captain was able to articulate how he knew the man approaching his back door was a BG and a threat. The people who bring the charges were satisfied and that is what is important.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Maybe he thought: guy is approaching my unlocked (after I locked this morning) back door plus I am missing firearms = guy approaching backdoor with my firearms with no good reasons.

P.S. This is a good "lessons learned" scenario for the rest of us.

Notice how they had to state the SKS was similar to an AK47 Assault Rifle. They never give up do they.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Notice how they had to state the SKS was similar to an AK47 Assault Rifle. They never give up do they.
    I was just about to say that.

"Johnson says the soldier grabbed his SKS rifle, a weapon similar to an AK-47 assault rifle, and called 911."

They just had to get that zinger in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Johnson says the soldier grabbed his SKS rifle, a weapon similar to an AK-47 assault rifle, and called 911.
    Hey, at least it's better then them just outright calling it an AK. Try to look on the bright side, this reporter at least tried to differentiate between different types of guns.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

cj
    Perhaps he was approaching the back door from the inside?

Maybe he came home, found it ransacked, grabbed a rifle, called 911 (house hasn't been cleared yet) and the BG made a dash for the backdoor with his guns. He's armed and likely an imminent threat if he makes it out the door or very possibly, given an opportunity, to try to eliminate the owner if convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Yea, shot him approaching the back door, that does sound like it could be trouble if there isn't more to the story.
    In my state there is a castle doctrine, you do not need to be in my house nor do I have to retreat to defend myself. Not a problem.

+1 A1C...

This burglar picked the wrong guy's house to rob!

Addendum:
    I was just thinking, we should start up a special Darwin Award just for people like this. All criminals killed by armed citizens get a special "CombatCarry Darwin Award". The best part is: we should track down the criminal's family, and send them notification of the award!:

"We would like to inform you that your son/brother/cousin has been posthumously awarded the prestigious CombatCarry Darwin Award, in recognition for getting himself killed during the commission of a violent crime, and thus removing himself and his defective genes from the gene pool. As you are closely related to the recipient, please help honor your relative's contribution by not producing any more offspring."

We could probably make a lot of money with the inevitable appearances on TV talk shows, where the liberals are sure to go nuts over this "incompassionate humiliation" of the "poor, misunderstood" criminal's family.
    Last edited by dwolsten; May 9th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links