Another pit bull "incident"... - Page 2

Another pit bull "incident"...

This is a discussion on Another pit bull "incident"... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This will be my last post in this spot. if the so called "pitbull"was tied up and the "golden"was running towards you,it would have been ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another pit bull "incident"...

This will be my last post in this spot.

if the so called "pitbull"was tied up and the "golden"was running towards you,it would have been welcomed with open arms and a kiss!
    I'LL bet the "pitbulls" tail was waggin when it was running to you.
    you didn't notice it because you assumed that this "pitbull"was a threat because it looked like a pitbull!

I do agree that the dog should of been leashed.All dogs should be leashed when in public.

the bottom line is,it wouldn't be an issue if a pitbull was not involved!
    Im not trying to be a jerk but this is a ongoing battle to keep my right to own this (loyal and willing to please) breed of dog.
    this is no different then the gun controll issues.

punish the deed not the breed!

Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    This will be my last post in this spot.

if the so called "pitbull"was tied up and the "golden"was running towards you,it would have been welcomed with open arms and a kiss!
    I'LL bet the "pitbulls" tail was waggin when it was running to you.
    you didn't notice it because you assumed that this "pitbull"was a threat because it looked like a pitbull!

I do agree that the dog should of been leashed.All dogs should be leashed when in public.

the bottom line is,it wouldn't be an issue if a pitbull was not involved!
    Im not trying to be a jerk but this is a ongoing battle to keep my right to own this (loyal and willing to please) breed of dog.
    this is no different then the gun controll issues.

punish the deed not the breed!

I used to raise Goldens as a breeder, so I'm usually able to read them pretty well. The Pit was NOT wagging his tail!
    I'm NOT at all saying all Pits are bad. I used to get that same crap when I had a Rottie. But I'll admit to being more than a little spooked of Pits, no question.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Way to hold it down.

I bet you had to clean out your shorts though.

My neighbor has a Mastiff and a Pit. Both are very large and can be intimidating when alone much less when they are together.

I had a conversation with the neighbor to inform him that I had children and that the dogs were not welcome in my yard. If they were found there.. they may not return.

I have had no issues thus far.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Offer your weak arm and be sure to keep your hand out of its mouth.
    The hand has small bones and thin skin that can be broken and or punctured with relative ease. Offer the middle of your arm if at all possible as opposed to the lower near the wrist, to minimize damage potential. Dog bites hurt like hell and they'll wiggle about tearing flesh and muscle as they hold and rebite.

With your strong hand if armed, shoot it until it stops or you hit slide lock.
    If not then take hold of a leg and bend/break/rip it off in an unnatural position. Or push in it's eyes to the back of the skull. Gross yes but it's you or it.
    Do not let a dog take you to the ground or worst get on top of you.

This all of course is assuming that doing standard action with unfamiliar dogs does not work such as standing very tall and erect taking a dominant position toward it and/or in a very loud 'voice of God' tone saying (not yelling) NO!, Stop! (weak hand out in front palm up), Go Away!, and controlling ones innate fear to not show it in your facial expression (be confident) or body language (stand tall).

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; May 8th, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Good job on remaining aware of bystanders. I had a similar experience once with a neighbor's dog. I was pretty young, probably 15 or so, and the neighbor asked me to come over to help move some things around the house. We were on friendly terms so I was happy to help. She had a female mastiff that was not a mean dog, but very protective. Our houses were about 200 yards apart and separated by an apple orchard. I walked through the orchard and came upon the dog lying at the base of a tree, maybe 25 yards away. She looked up, saw me and started barking and running straight at me. It was one of those moments that gets imprinted in your brain, kind of like where you were when you heard about 9/11. I remember thinking, "This is it, I'm gonna die", and I started to turn to head for a tree (no telling if I would have made it). Then the dog hit the end of her rope, and my heart came out of my throat and started beating again. Big aggressive dogs are scary when you don't know them.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Way back when I was in the academy, we had a Detroit officer give us special training on dealing with pits. Jang has it down pat.That punish the deed, not the breed BS is just from pit owners trying to fend off the fact that a large portion of the pit breed has been corrupted from poor training and breeding in urban centers like Detroit.I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw it.All large breed dogs have the potential to kill, some seem to delight in it. It never hurts to be prepared to defend yourself or your family (dog included).

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Why can't people keep their dogs LEASHED??? It's THE LAW!!
    Thoughts?
    I think you should have gone to the dog's owner calmly and explained that the fact that he has his dog unleashed in the presence of children and others -- in violation of the law -- combined with the fact that the dog made a charge that could easily and reasonably be construed as an impending attack, could leave him with a dead dog and no legal recourse.

This reminds me of a time I was inline-skating through my neighborhood and rounded a corner in a residential block. Some guy was working in his yard, and his mid-sized dog (maybe a cocker spaniel?) was unleashed on the lawn. When it saw me, it came bolting toward me. I had my carry gun stashed way in back in my Camelbak (read: NOT accessible in a pinch) but I was carrying a mid-sized ASP baton.

When I heard and saw the dog running at me and barking wildly, I stopped, posed with my baton held high for a hammer strike (I don't think I had yet 'shucked' it, though), and the man shouted out for his dog to come back. The dog stopped right around the edge of the curb and calmed down.

I de-tensed, and started to skate away, and as I did, I shouted over to him, "Good way to lose a dog!" Hopefully he had seen what I was ready to do and understood my meaning. Doofus.

Excellent idea!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Sounds like you handled it pretty well. One thing to consider is carrying some sort of knife or impact weapon. This would allow you some sort of readily deployable means of defending yourself without having to worry about rounds hitting innocent kids. If the dog attacks and you can't shoot it, its gonna be in close anyways, and more effective than using your right fist.
    Years ago before I could carry legally I bought an auto assisted knife for just that purpose. I wanted something I could open with one hand just in case the other was occupied keeping snarling teeth away from my neck.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

The trouble is.....

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    Good job Bill! As an owner of two pits, I applaud your restraint! My dogs (both male) are as gentle as lambs, but if I saw a potentially vicious dog of any king running toward me like that, I'd at least think about using deadly force. I'm glad you didn't. Most APBTs are unbelievably friendly (they were bred for their tenacity as well as being docile to humans).
    The problem is that there is so much in-breeding that seemingly 'nice' pit puppies grow up to be mentally unstable and dangerous (the fault of the breeder). Or just plain neglect. APBTs require much more attention that any other breed I can think of. If not socialized properly (responsibility of the owner), bad things can happen...
    You can't tell the good ones from the bad ones especially if they are running at you. They are too big to guess wrong. At that point it doesn't matter whose fault their bad nature is the responsibility of.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    And when they're not, they can and should be regarded as, at least, a potential threat.

Is it wise to look at what you know is a potential threat and not at least begin to prepare for if it becomes an active threat? What's better, to be ready to act or to sit there hoping you won't have to and making sure you'll be unready if the time comes?

This dog WAS unleashed (despite your stated preference that "all dogs should be") and it was rushing toward the defender. He did nothing wrong by making ready to shoot it if he had to.

And I have never heard of a vicious attack by a golden retriever, but I've heard of OWNERS mauled to DEATH by pit bulls (happened right here in s. Florida a couple months ago, in fact).

If you want to think nothing but happy thoughts about pit bulls, be my guest. Some of us prefer to prepare for our own safety.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    That punish the deed, not the breed BS is just from pit owners trying to fend off the fact that a large portion of the pit breed has been corrupted from poor training and breeding in urban centers like Detroit..
    Here we go again
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Assistant Administrator
    Guys - we had a Pit thread running not too long ago - it ran and ran. Now we have another here and the opinions are all the same, over again ... . from one extreme to the other, depending on an individual's perception of breed, ownership etc.

IMO the subject is fully covered and while it was interesting to hear the OP's description of his incident - posts have once more pretty much become ''taking sides'' on the actual canine/breed issue.

The subject of Pits both here and on other boards always (predictably I guess) brings out a wide diversity of thinking and at times can degenerate into less than desirable post content. I don't want to see that occur.

Any defence episodes re dogs or any critters, are welcome of course ... appro pos the actual defensive situation but ....... try please to leave it at that and avoid this somewhat predictable ongoing analysis of one breed in particular.

I am closing this thread now as most that needs said has been said - and if the other is resurrected I will close that too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links