Another pit bull "incident"...

This is a discussion on Another pit bull "incident"... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know if I handled this the "textbook" way, but no blood was spilled, so that's successful IMO. I had to meet a guy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another pit bull "incident"...

Another pit bull "incident"...

I don't know if I handled this the "textbook" way, but no blood was spilled, so that's successful IMO.
    I had to meet a guy in an unfamiliar town yesterday. I got there early and had some time to kill, so I found a park with a few picnic tables and stopped and sat down to watch some kids playing.
    The kids were in a play area with some swings and such, and their "adult supervisior" was on a bench nearby. When I sat down, I noticed a Golden Retreiver tied up near the swingset. He saw me and gave a friendly little bark. At that time, a BIG A$$ pit bull came running from behind the Golden and right at me. He was covering the distance between us REALLY quick. I remember feeling the Kimber on my hip and then thinking "I'm screwed!" I couldn't draw and shoot, as the dog was directly between myself and the kids. I thought if the dog latched onto my left arm that I had out, I could swing him around and then shoot him. Just as the dog got to me, the "adult" hollered "He's really docile!" I hollered back 'HE DOESN'T LOOK DOCILE!!" The dog ended up being pretty mellow, but he could've had me if he HAD been mean. The other options were NOT attractive...
    1. I draw and shoot, possibly hitting bystanders.
    2. I have to shoot someone's pet AFTER IT GRABBED ME, all because someone didn't want to keep it leashed.
    3. I get my arm or other parts chewed on.
    I had time to draw and shoot, and that should/would have been the course of action IF there were no chance of hitting anyone. I saw the kids and never even moved toward the gun.
    The dog scared the crap out of me, but even after thinking about it, I doubt I'd have done anything different in the same situation.
    Why can't people keep their dogs LEASHED??? It's THE LAW!!
    Thoughts?
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Man Bill, I could feel the adrenalin surge just reading that!

Good job bro!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sounds like the owner is an idiot. When the owner yelled "he's really docile" you should have hollered back, "I'm not". Anyway your plan of it chomping on your left arm while drawing and shooting it up close sounded like your only option given the kids in the area. I don't know what else you could have done.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    a sliced up arm is better than possibly killing an innocent bystander, in my book. I've never been afraid of dogs, though I certainly respect what they can do. Sounds like you responded properly.

Good job Bill! As an owner of two pits, I applaud your restraint! My dogs (both male) are as gentle as lambs, but if I saw a potentially vicious dog of any king running toward me like that, I'd at least think about using deadly force. I'm glad you didn't. Most APBTs are unbelievably friendly (they were bred for their tenacity as well as being docile to humans).
    The problem is that there is so much in-breeding that seemingly 'nice' pit puppies grow up to be mentally unstable and dangerous (the fault of the breeder). Or just plain neglect. APBTs require much more attention that any other breed I can think of. If not socialized properly (responsibility of the owner), bad things can happen...

I give you an A+ for being aware of your surroundings and knowing when a shot is safe or not. That in my opinion beats anything else. A chewed up arm is better than a dead innocent child!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Sounds like the owner is an idiot. When the owner yelled "he's really docile" you should have hollered back, "I'm not". Anyway your plan of it chomping on your left arm while drawing and shooting it up close sounded like your only option given the kids in the area. I don't know what else you could have done.
    Can I hear a big Amen! That could have very definitely gone very differently, good thing it didn't. Dog charges unprovoked, knowing of all the recient attacks, it would be like sitting in Iraq watching a armed man with a turban and a gun charging at you and some total stranger yells "He is OK he is just glad to see you" Yeah that could have definitely went differently.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    A chewed up arm is better than a dead innocent child!
    That was MY decision also. I honestly thought my arm was going to be a doggie chew-toy. I used to have a Rottie that was a big wuss, so I was REALLY hoping this dog had a similar personality. Lucky for me, he did.
    I seriously appreciate the kind words, everyone.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    After shooting at a couple dogs that charged me and missing with all three shots (unless you want to count a missing toenail...) I started asking around for training options. It's just not natural to shoot low, and IIRC, under duress most shoot high.

I rigged up a heavy duty momentary switch between a modified car starter attached to a pully and battery. This is used to pull a dog sized target along the ground toward me. You'd be surprised how hard it is to hit.

Josh <><

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Should have gone up to the dog's owner and explained to him how close pooch came to dying.

shoulda shot the owner

LOL

sorry thats not right

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    I rigged up a heavy duty momentary switch between a modified car starter attached to a pully and battery. This is used to pull a dog sized target along the ground toward me. You'd be surprised how hard it is to hit.
    This was before I started shooting with them, but some of the guys in the local Polite Society group did something similar. They would tie some 2 liter soda bottles filled with water to a rope and pull them towards the shooter. If they weren't empty by the time the got to you, you got bit.

Sounds like you handled it pretty well. One thing to consider is carrying some sort of knife or impact weapon. This would allow you some sort of readily deployable means of defending yourself without having to worry about rounds hitting innocent kids. If the dog attacks and you can't shoot it, its gonna be in close anyways, and more effective than using your right fist.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

the golden "gave out a friendly bark"!
    let me guess he said "hi bill ruff ruff"!

but the so called "pitbull" didn't "LOOK DOCILE"
    (he didnt look like a golden retriever)so it was an instant threat.

C'MON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    the golden "gave out a friendly bark"!
    let me guess he said "hi bill ruff ruff"!

but the so called "pitbull" didn't "LOOK DOCILE"
    (he didnt look like a golden retriever)so it was an instant threat.

C'MON!!!!
    The Golden's tail was wagging as he barked.
    Did you MISS the part about the Golden being tied up and the PIT being unleashed? That makes the PIT more of a threat IMO.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links